17 replies to this topic

#1 Chris04626

Chris04626

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

My sons class is going on a field trip and they will be stopping at mcdonalds.  IS there anything there he is safe to eat?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 surviormom

surviormom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

My sons class is going on a field trip and they will be stopping at mcdonalds.  IS there anything there he is safe to eat?

Not sure, French Fries?  They are cooked separately from nuggets, I think, not sure.  grilled chicken salad?  Do they have croutons?  Go to McDonalds website and look at the menu and check out the salads.  

Gluten Free 2012 - Dairy Free 2012 - Acid Reflux Diet 2013

Chronic Gastritis 2013 - Peptic Duodenitis 2013 - Hiatal Hernia 2013 - C-Diff 2013 - Endometriosis 2013 - Uterine Fibroids 2013

Patellar Tendonitis 2013 - Arthritis 2014 - NCGI 2014 - Erosive Esophagitis 2014 - Barretts 2014

I have a long list of physical ailments that were being grouped into age/gender by doctors.

Began Gluten Free and Casein Free after an Allergy Test trying to find answers to health problems that the doctors just were not answering well enough. Looking back through history, I have a lifetime of allergies and gastro issues.

Learn from yesterday, Live for today, and Hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,003 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

The fryers for the french fries are only used to fry potatoes: hash browns during breakfast, and french fries the rest of the day. They are in the front of the store. The other fryers are in the back. The dedication is to ensure that nothing can taint the taste of the fries, but it works to our benefit as well.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Chris04626

Chris04626

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

does mcdonalds list gluten free options on their menu? I am not seeing it on their website

#5 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

French Fries (McDonalds):

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*, citric acid [preservative]), dextrose, sodium acid
pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to
preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.
CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK.
*(Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

I'm still new at this, but the above listing was taken from this US site:

http://nutrition.mcd...edientslist.pdf

Is hydrolyzed wheat safe for Celiacs?  

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

#6 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

In my opinion - no.  Fast food is risky due to cross contamination.  Hands touching buns, touching fries, touching....  Most of the employees are kids who don't understand and don't really care.  Not worth the chance. 

#7 glutenfree23

glutenfree23

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

My sons class is going on a field trip and they will be stopping at mcdonalds. IS there anything there he is safe to eat?

Apples, chocolate/vanilla/strawberry milkshake, chocolate fudge/caramel/strawberry sundaes, M&M McFlurry, smoothies, Cherry Berry Chiller, Strawberry Lemonade should be safe. Check their website. Their French Fries are NOT gluten free!

#8 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,003 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

There are small amounts of milk and wheat used to make a flavor. That flavor is added to the oil in which the product is partially fried at the factory before being frozen for shipment to the stores. It is a very small part of the oil. A small amount of the oil is absorbed. On arrival at the store, the frying process is completed in oil which does not have any added flavor. The finished product has been independently tested, going back to 2006, and found to contain no detectable gluten. If undetectable gluten from that source is a concern to you, you should not be eating anything at McDonalds (or any other restaurant) because the risk from cross-contamination is far, far higher.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#9 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

. The finished product has been independently tested, going back to 2006, and found to contain no detectable gluten. If undetectable gluten from that source is a concern to you, you should not be eating anything at McDonalds (or any other restaurant) because the risk from cross-contamination is far, far higher.

I agree 100%...and I do enjoy McD's french fries and hashbrowns from time to time, with pleasure. :D  (bold is mine)

With that said...perhaps you could pack your child a full lunch to eat at McD's and allow him to get a milkshake or a sunday.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#10 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

Love the fruit smoothies.  The Berry Cherry Chiller is awesome.

#11 MindytheOrganist

MindytheOrganist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:57 AM

Not all McDonald's are loaded with teenagers.  I've seen many with older employees.  We get the Quarter Pounder with cheese, no bun and fries, and celiac hubby is fine with that.  But again, if your son is very sensitive, I'd pack him a lunch, but allow him to get a milkshake.

And, if anyone gives you grief about bringing in food - four words - Americans With Disabilities Act.

#12 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

There are small amounts of milk and wheat used to make a flavor. That flavor is added to the oil in which the product is partially fried at the factory before being frozen for shipment to the stores. It is a very small part of the oil. A small amount of the oil is absorbed. On arrival at the store, the frying process is completed in oil which does not have any added flavor. The finished product has been independently tested, going back to 2006, and found to contain no detectable gluten. If undetectable gluten from that source is a concern to you, you should not be eating anything at McDonalds (or any other restaurant) because the risk from cross-contamination is far, far higher.

Thanks, Peter, for the clarification.  However, I'm not going to share this information with my hubby!   :lol:  I can just see him heading to the drive-thru right now!  Trying to keep him "heart" healthy.  :wub:

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

#13 MissHaberdasher

MissHaberdasher

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

They have a fruit salad that is individually packed/sealed in factory that he might be able to get. 

#14 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:11 AM

When I went a McD's they told me the fries were not safe and they didn't know of anything safe so I asked if they had the salad pre-packed with nothing but the veggies in it, and was told yes. I had a plain salad and no dressing. :( Not much energy but it least it made it look like I was enjoying lunch with everyone.

If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#15 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

When I went a McD's they told me the fries were not safe and they didn't know of anything safe so I asked if they had the salad pre-packed with nothing but the veggies in it, and was told yes. I had a plain salad and no dressing. :( Not much energy but it least it made it look like I was enjoying lunch with everyone.

http://www.mcdonaldsglutenfree.com/

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: