Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Wheat Grass

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if wheat grass is gluten-free? I always assumed it was not and avoided it until recently I read an article that stated that wheat grass does not contain gluten. Can that be true? 

I was even more confused when I ordered a smoothie at Jamba Juice and felt very sick, definitely glutened. Of course I thought it was from contamination from wheat grass, but perhaps not. Any ideas or articles?

Ads by Google:

I guess that technically wheat grass is the "grass" part so it would have no gluten.  The gluten is in the seed part.  The problem, in my mind, is that it is really hard to be certain there are no seeds in that grass.

Like with other grasses, proteins and other molecules can transmute from the seed into what grows, like the grass in wheat grass. I've never had the nerve to try it being celiac but working in botany, i would never chance the contamination. There are many other healthy green juices than to chance a glutening.

Does anyone know if wheat grass is gluten-free? I always assumed it was not and avoided it until recently I read an article that stated that wheat grass does not contain gluten. Can that be true? 

I was even more confused when I ordered a smoothie at Jamba Juice and felt very sick, definitely glutened. Of course I thought it was from contamination from wheat grass, but perhaps not. Any ideas or articles?

Like with other grasses, proteins and other molecules can transmute from the seed into what grows, like the grass in wheat grass. I've never had the nerve to try it being celiac but working in botany, i would never chance the contamination. There are many other healthy green juices than to chance a glutening.

Ken works with plants for his business.  So, if he doesn't think its safe.....that's good enough for me!  :)

Aha, then that could have been it at Jamba Juice...I will stay clear of it. Thanks.