4 replies to this topic

#1 Ciel121

Ciel121

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

Does anyone know if wheat grass is gluten-free? I always assumed it was not and avoided it until recently I read an article that stated that wheat grass does not contain gluten. Can that be true? 

I was even more confused when I ordered a smoothie at Jamba Juice and felt very sick, definitely glutened. Of course I thought it was from contamination from wheat grass, but perhaps not. Any ideas or articles?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

I guess that technically wheat grass is the "grass" part so it would have no gluten.  The gluten is in the seed part.  The problem, in my mind, is that it is really hard to be certain there are no seeds in that grass.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 kenlove

kenlove

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

Like with other grasses, proteins and other molecules can transmute from the seed into what grows, like the grass in wheat grass. I've never had the nerve to try it being celiac but working in botany, i would never chance the contamination. There are many other healthy green juices than to chance a glutening.

Does anyone know if wheat grass is gluten-free? I always assumed it was not and avoided it until recently I read an article that stated that wheat grass does not contain gluten. Can that be true? 

I was even more confused when I ordered a smoothie at Jamba Juice and felt very sick, definitely glutened. Of course I thought it was from contamination from wheat grass, but perhaps not. Any ideas or articles?

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

Like with other grasses, proteins and other molecules can transmute from the seed into what grows, like the grass in wheat grass. I've never had the nerve to try it being celiac but working in botany, i would never chance the contamination. There are many other healthy green juices than to chance a glutening.

Ken works with plants for his business.  So, if he doesn't think its safe.....that's good enough for me!  :)

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#5 Ciel121

Ciel121

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

Aha, then that could have been it at Jamba Juice...I will stay clear of it. Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wheat grass, gluten-free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: