Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Enriched Rice?

3 posts in this topic

I have heard a couple times now something about enriched rice. What is the concern and is there a way to know if it's a problem? How many of you just avoid all together?

Ads by Google:

You'll want to do further research on your own (calling companies and whatnot), but what I have heard from rice producers in California is that it has always been a myth (well, in at least the past decade) that any gluten was a part of their enrichment formula. I haven't had any problem with CA rice myself.

In Mexico you can get white rice with out the enrichment. The problem is you can not get a good brown rice down there. :huh:

I have a feeling that there is a law in the U.S. that makes the rice growers put enrichments in their white rice. :blink:

I did notice that a Texas brand of rice had a warning on the label about the fact that there is wheat and nuts processes in the same factory (the warning was also on the brown rice). Texas rice might not be a safe bet. <_<

Stick with the California brown rice. It does take a bit longer to cook, but you have the added fiber, vitamins and minerals in your diet. :D