9 replies to this topic

#1 taynichaf

taynichaf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

I've only been gluten for about a week now...but ask the other times I tried going gluten free I would feel starving and very sleepy...now I'm still just my normal exhausted self..my arm is like limp just from holding some clothes.. How long did it take you to feel better?

Gluten Free 06-02-2013

Dairy Free 06-09-2013

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

At least a good 6 months gluten free and casien free before I started really feeling better. Slowly but surely it gets better the longer your off it.

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#3 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

Eight months for me. And sooo worth it. But boy, it was a bumpy ride! Hang in there!!

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#4 taynichaf

taynichaf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

how did you know to go casein free?? Is that just lactose?

Gluten Free 06-02-2013

Dairy Free 06-09-2013

#5 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

For me, it took a few weeks for some GI symptoms and migraines to improve. For other symptoms like fatigue, and pain.... well, I'm one year in and still waiting.  LOL :rolleyes:

You'll probably need to give it until Xmas, or even longer, before all your symptoms clear up.

I went entirely dairy free in my second month gluten-free (I believe). Once I was gluten-free, it became much easier to notice how dairy gave me stomach aches so that made it simpler. Someone also mentioned how dairy can contribute to acne, and that was further incentive to drop it.  i just had icecream twice last week and I did not get a stomach ache from it (yeah!) but my skin is acting up again (boo!), so from this I am guessing that I am no longer lactose intolerant (after 1 year gluten-free) but my body doesn't lile something in the dairy so I get spots.  I'll stay mostly dairy free.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 Ksee

Ksee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

I came off gluten, not convinced it was my problem, but after only a few days my digestive problems had improved so much it came clear. I can't say when these problems started, they were so insidious. It was only with partial relief I realized how much pain I had been in.

I am learning as I go along what symptoms may be due to gluten but I would imagine, depending on the damage, some problems will take longer and some may be permanent. 

There is no reason now to cry over the past, so I try not to think about what my life could of been if someone had recognized this before my autoimmune pituitary destruction, and damage to my eyes, among other problems. 

To answer your question, how long depends on how sick you were I suppose. 

Make sure to write all this down so you can remind yourself later how much you don't want to have to do it again.

#7 taynichaf

taynichaf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

For me, it took a few weeks for some GI symptoms and migraines to improve. For other symptoms like fatigue, and pain.... well, I'm one year in and still waiting.  LOL :rolleyes:

You'll probably need to give it until Xmas, or even longer, before all your symptoms clear up.

I went entirely dairy free in my second month gluten-free (I believe). Once I was gluten-free, it became much easier to notice how dairy gave me stomach aches so that made it simpler. Someone also mentioned how dairy can contribute to acne, and that was further incentive to drop it.  i just had icecream twice last week and I did not get a stomach ache from it (yeah!) but my skin is acting up again (boo!), so from this I am guessing that I am no longer lactose intolerant (after 1 year gluten-free) but my body doesn't lile something in the dairy so I get spots.  I'll stay mostly dairy free.

I noticed dairy gives me stomach aches too! I'm going to go dairy free for awhile starting now... ha.

Gluten Free 06-02-2013

Dairy Free 06-09-2013

#8 taynichaf

taynichaf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for the replies! I was actually only gluten free for 4 days when i posted this :} Some symptoms are slowly improving though.. I just want this depression completely gone!... NOW! But i'm trying to be patient..

Gluten Free 06-02-2013

Dairy Free 06-09-2013

#9 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

My mood felt worse (withdrawal) before it felt better. Days 4-20 were my worst. Hang in there if it doesn't get better this month.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:20 AM

I was already depressed prior to the first month so my MD put me on an anti-depressant the same day he told me to go gluten free once it managed to get absorbed I was a lot better. It still sucked though because I was diagnosed at the start of November and had to deal with telling the family at family get togethers, which in my family revolve around food.

If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: