This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Another Symptom I Didn't Know I Had

bartfull

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks Irish, I am not obsessed about anyone's health. I like to be diplomatic. But when I see this and know that six hundred something people have read the thread at this point I think about more than one person and offer caution where it is needed. If someone can show my comments to be incorrect I would carefully read any information they have.

You are responding to GEMINI's post....Not mine....  :)just so you know.

*****This post has been edited  after a PM conversation with Ksee for clarification.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

I just re-read my post and it seems I did write protein where I meant to say fats. I apologize for the confusion. Please read the article I linked though, I took the time to type all that out because I was concerned. I have had friends who ended up in kidney failure because of the Adkins diet. I don't want that to happen to you. 

Ksee.....again, you misunderstand......where did you get the impression that I was following the Atkins diet?  The Atkins diet is a medical diet for those who are facing bypass surgery and need to drop weight FAST.  Somehow, it made it's way into mainstream America and people loved it because it does make you lose weight fast....but it's not the type of diet you can follow long term.  Only those who are seriously overweight should even consider it, not people who are suffering from Celiac Disease who are classic Celiacs like myself, the skinny malnourished kind.  I started to show signs of ketosis the week I hit the wall with celiac because I had no body fat left and was burning muscle.  It's a good thing I was able to figure it out because the doctor I went to see that week totally blew me off.  I was dying and she blew me off.  I was able to figure out the problem, ask for the blood work and be on my way to a solid diagnosis.

I made the comment that people who follow the Atkins diet, long term, very often develop really bad breath and smell like acetone, because of ketosis.  I never implied that people should follow the diet or that I myself follow the diet.  I do not think it a good idea to cut carbs from your diet, unless you have an intolerance to grains in general.  I certainly don't because I weight train. 

I hope that I have made things clearer for you.  I am not arguing either....just not quite sure where your posts were coming from.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I had a friend who was diabetic and I could smell on his skin when he was heading for a fit. Freaked him out though.

I have very sensitive smell and hearing too, I wonder if there is a link.

I found mirror touch synesthesia helped to explain some of it, but I got that from a book and don't have links I'm afraid.

I don't mind smelling the flowers more, but train, plane and bus journeys can be a bit hairy with super sensitive smell. I lived on a main road, and the noise nearly drove me insane.

eers03 Explorer

Gemini,

What you described was my exact problem.  I was the skinny malnourished celiac.  Because I didn't know how to cut gluten the right way I dumped all my carbs with the wheat!  Whoops!  It was scary.  I know I'm all over this thread but these were the symptoms that freaked me out the worst.  So glad to have it corrected.

Archived