Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

3 Year Old With Unusual Symptoms

4 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I have just been offered a celiac test by my gp for my 3 year old but I'm sceptical she that she is suffering from this as she seems to not have the main symptoms - anyway here goes...

Since infancy she has had trouble pooping - more recently up to a week or longer without going and extreme pain when she does - sometimes taking another week to get it out (crying and lying on the couch for a week) She has a raised bumpy rash on her upper arms and cheeks but it is not too visible as it has only a little redness - it is not sore or itchy at all for her. She has been moody and cries a lot which is not her normal character. She has started to lose weight but is still withing the 50% percentile (was just above, now a little under). anyway after watching her get worse over the last 12 months I finally put her on a 10 day elimination diet (sugar, eggs, dairy & gluten) not 100% but 99% or enough to see if it was food causing the issue, she had instant improvement and has been the dear wee girl we used to know. She poops every 2nd day now (unformed but not fatty).

I reintroduced everything and only got a reaction from wholegrain bread - within 1 hour she was crying and had an allergy ring on her backside. - Took her to DR to get advice on how to figure out if it was wheat, additives etc and she suggested Celiac. Her cousin has the gene but no one actually has it in the family (although there are a few sensitives)

Does this sound like Celiac to anyone - she suggested I let her eat whatever for the next two weeks including gluten every day until we get a blood test - started today and her rash is back and she has been very easily upset  for about 90 minutes after each meal - then fine again

part 2 is that I am breastfeeding a 7 month old right now who is showing the same poop every 10 days, gassy symptoms his sister did at that age (although not as bad) - should I go gluten free as well - I have heard of developmental problems occurring and I'd rather not take a wait and see approach.  I doubt very much I would show positive to celiac disease as I have zero tummy trouble although... I do have ADD and endometriosis which I understand is linked.

Ads by Google:

Constipation is a pretty common symptom. It was one of my main symptoms too. My mom has told me that as an infant, I used to have to strain and cry. Changes in mood are a main symptom in childhood celiacs too. I think getting her testing is worth a try, especially after she had a positive reaction to a (mostly) gluten-free diet. I think that shows that she either has celiac disease or Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance/sensitivity (NCGI). NCGI has no diagnostic blood tests so you would need to try a 100% gluten-free trial and look for positive results... after she is done testing though, keep eating gluten until then.

The full celiac panel is:

• DGP IgA and DGP IgG (great test for detecting celiac disease in young children)
  • tTG IgA and tTG IgG
  • EMA IgA (detects advanced disease and is often negative in children)
  • total serum IgA (a control test)
  • AGA IgA and AGA IgG (older and less frequently used tests)

And as I said before, she could have NCGI if her celiac tests are negative, in which case she will need a strict gluten-free diet in order to feel well.

If you suspect problems in your 7 month old, you might want to get her and yourself tested... although I'm not sure if they test that young and if there is enough gluten in her diet for accurate results. Because celiac is genetic, you and their dad should also get tested. You might as well test before going gluten-free, just so you know if celiac disease is an issue for you.

Good luck and welcome to the board.  :)

I can't address the issues with the children, but I can tell you that I had no intestinal symptoms.  I have thyroiditis and iron deficiency anemia (Doc caught it during a routine physical).   There are four kinds of celiac and one of them without symptoms.  I think my source is either University of Chicago or UC San Diego.  You should get checked, if anything, to prevent other problems from developing.  

Good luck!  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Gluten does WHAT to the brain?
      My first thought was how many people that have been labeled as mentally ill or psychotic actually have Celiac Disease and never get diagnosed?  Their whole lives spent battling these conditions, being flooded with various meds and no one looks at their diet or does other testing!  It really is tragic.  I always wondered whether Patty Duke was an un-diagnosed Celiac.  She was finally diagnosed with bi-polar and ended up dying of a perforated intestine, at the young age of 69.  Ya gotta wonder........
    • Desperately Seeking DISARONNO!
      I think the company knows what the ingredients are better than us.  If you mean Amaretto, I have had it.  
    • Gluten free before biopsy???
      My doctor required me to continue eating gluten before the endoscopy for biopsy. She did say I could let up "a little" to ease some of the terrible pain I was having, but wanted me to eat gluten-containing foods every day until the biopsy. As it turned out, they were able to get me in quickly, so it was really only a few days for me. Both bloodwork and biopsy confirmed the diagnosis and now I am happily gluten-free! It has been a challenge, but having a gluten-free kitchen, checking labels on foods and being super-careful when going out has worked wonders. I am not 100% recovered yet, but getting energy back a bit at a time as my nutrition status improves. We don't eat out much - mostly at vegan places that declare they are gluten-free (although I still eat chicken, eggs, milk, and beef sometimes at home). One day, I'll go somewhere else - but not without checking first! Best of luck to you. I think it important to always double-check with the doctor when there are any questions at all. My doctor welcomes questions and I hope yours will too.
    • Gluten does WHAT to the brain?
      Thanks for posting I was just looking at this a short time ago. Something I found interesting was the last line of the article- " The psychosis that the woman experienced was an extreme condition and very unique, Fasano said. " While not common I am not sure that it is that unique.  There is a fair amount of research that has been done on the effects of gluten on the brains and nervous systems of celiacs.  Doing a search with the words neurological and celiac at places like Lancet, PubMed and the NIH can bring up some really interesting studies. Thankfully this impact is slowly becoming more common knowledge in the medical circles. Many of us have experienced in our families or first hand the way that the antibodies can impact our mood and thinking. It does seem miraculous when the clouds finally lift. I wish more doctors would test for celiac before pulling out the prescription pad, especially with kids.
    • Desperately Seeking DISARONNO!
      If you are referring to Amaretto Disaronno, then I can tell you that I have had it a couple of times since being diagnosed in 2005 and never had a problem with it. I am very sensitive too and react strongly to cc.  I do not drink much variety in the way of alcohol but red wine and this seem to be perfectly fine!
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    ckrlink1