11 replies to this topic

#1 SBlack

SBlack

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

Hi everyone - has anyone experienced terrible reflux that went away once you went gluten-free?  And if so - how long did it take to go away?

I have had absolutely awful reflux for a long time and after going gluten-free, it has decreased A LOT.  Gets very bad when I am accidentally glutened but it just hasn't gone away completely yet. 

Just looking to see if this tends to be common with celiacs and/or NCGI patients.  I see my doctor next week but looking for some help.

Thank you!!

Sarah

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

That went away? Not really. Its still there but its no where near as bad.

#3 SBlack

SBlack

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

That went away? Not really. Its still there but its no where near as bad

that is really interesting - it's the one main thing that has been hanging around.  Not everyday but some you know?  Thank you for your response!

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

I had acid reflux so bad for over 12 years. My entire GI tract burned from mouth to rectum. Not kidding.

I would "spill acid" back up into my throat which felt  closed and burning like mad. I did not want to eat

at one point and even water hurt.

No meds helped.

I can report to you that it is GONE!!!!  but it took awhile (maybe 10 months? and I had to be patient)

and now, I am 2.5 years post DX and have no GERD symptoms whatsoever.

(neither does my Mom, who also took meds for GERD for many years and has been gluten-free for 2 years)

Hang in there!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 jhol

jhol

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

hi there,

reflux wasnt something id complained to the doc about, but it was the only thing that was found at my endoscopy. i decided to go gluten and dairy free rather than take meds for it. i didnt have reflux again from that day on ( except for a strawberry smoothie- me and strawberries dont get on lol)

mine wasnt bad though so probably you,ll have to wait a bit longer to heal- but im sure you will. good luck x

#6 taynichaf

taynichaf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

I was diagnosed with GERD, but I didn't that my reflux was THAT bad... I found the gluten free diet helps my reflux though! But still have to avoid chocolate :/

Gluten Free 06-02-2013

Dairy Free 06-09-2013

#7 stanleymonkey

stanleymonkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

My 4 yr old had reflux, it has almost completely gone gluten-free

#8 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:42 AM

I was diagnosed with acid reflux in my teens and it got to a point were I couldn't eat or drink anything but water without horrible pain!! It had caused sores on my esophagus. I've no reflux on GFD until last night whenI know I got CC.

Vegetarian, Gluten Free diet since 03/2013, sensitivity to raw onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

#9 Tanya Lea

Tanya Lea

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

Mine went away completely unless I eat gluten. It's one thing I have been very grateful for as this was a major issue I have had for many years.

#10 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:19 AM

I'm with Tanya.  I think I've only had this symptom on one or two occasions since going gluten-free.

Diagnosis 11/2012

#11 SBlack

SBlack

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

Thank you everyone - so extremely helpful!!

#12 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

Mostly went for me, but I had to really cut down on sugar including fruit for a few months first.

Looks positive for you, good luck

- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: