This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New With Questions Regarding Lab Work

flo127

flo127 Newbie

Hi. I am hoping someone here can offer me some feedback and guidance. I am a 46 year old female who has Type 1 diabetes and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Recently I met with my endo and asked him to run some blood work for celiac disease as I have been having some symptoms that are suspicious. It seems he only tested for gliadin antibodies.

Here are my results: Gliadin Ab.,IgG <1.0 EU Limits -<25.0

Gliadin Ab.,IgA 33.9 EU Limits<25.0

Equivocal (25.1-49.9)

Since I fall in the equivocal range, what does this mean?? He advised me to follow up with a gastroenterologist. The soonest I could get an appointment is November 8th. When I see the gastro is there any additional blood work that should be ordered ? Would an endoscopy be warranted based on these results?? Are there any other diseases besides celiac that would cause my Gliadin IgA to be elevated?? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

FaithInScienceToo Contributor

Hi.

I am surprised no one else has answered this post yet...

I will try to help, but I tend to shy-away from this type of question, as others on here seem to be more up on this blood-test stuff, or have the info more readily at hand to share it...

Anyway...Let's see...your results were:

and the lab your doc used stated that "Equivocal" for them is within this range: (25.1-49.9)

Well...when they say 'equivocal' it pretty-much means 'probable weak positive' versus 'definite positive,' meaning they cannot clearly 'call it positive'...

BUT, the facts that you already 'have' Type I diabetes AND thyroid problems are big red flags for Celiac, when you coupled them with a weak positive IgA (as IgA antibodies more specific to Celiac than IgG).

I am not sure if other illnesses can cause your "anti-gliadin IgA" result to be elevated...That's the IgA you were tested for, btw (if you were told you got tested for Celiac disease)- it's a test for the anti-body levels in your blood against gliadin, the protein that causes the immune system to attack the villi in Celiacs, as it tries to attack the gliadin (mistakenly thinking it is a virus).

Well....Nov 8th is not too far away, and it's good that you did not have to 'fight' to get to see a GI doc, like some people have to. I hate when I read that...

Anway, your Gastro will most probably want to do an endoscopy w/biopsies, because most of them want to, since it is still considered to be 'what is expected of them by their peers,' so do NOT stop ingesting gluten - but, also do not go 'hog-wild, either...just eat some every day beforehand.

AND, be sure you print out the following article for your GI!:

Gluten-Free Diet Recommended for Patients with Serum IgA Endomysial Antibodies but Normal Duodenal Villi Biopsy, because he/she may just skip the endoscopy altogether!

I found it on a page at this site, actually, at:

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-59105052178.77

Also, ask him/her to rerun those 2 antibody tests, to see what results you get on a second run, and make sure he/she adds the following:

endomysial antibody (EmA) test (the one referred to in that article I gave you the URL to above)

and, I THINK, but am not sure, you will want these, too...

Transglutaminase Antibody, IgA

Transglutaminase Antibody, IgG

OK...that's about all I know to tell you.

I sure hope that was helpful - I know others on here know loads more than I do...but, that's a good start for you, at least...

I do not know a lot about all of the blood tests that can be run because, as you will see from my 'signature,' my diagnosis came about with ONLY the

Gliadin Antibody, IgA and IgG blood tests, even though I had an endoscopy that showed 'no current damage,' because I had already gone gluten-free and I had a very positive response to it, and I had already tested positive for one of the genes related to celiac disease. My doc gave me a "celiac disease" diagnosis based on all of that info, and on my Enterolab results showing a positive Gluten Sensitivity Stool Test, and a positive Stool Test for Autoimmune Reaction to Tissue Transglutaminase [Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA, versus a blood test for that, which I think you should get done, for both IgA and IgG, as I listed above].

Well - I imagine that others will chime in now - especially to help clarify what blood tests you'll want.

BEST WISHES!,

Gina

flo127 Newbie
Hi.

I am surprised no one else has answered this post yet...

I will try to help, but I tend to shy-away from this type of question, as others on here seem to be more up on this blood-test stuff, or have the info more readily at hand to share it...

Anyway...Let's see...your results were:

and the lab your doc used stated that "Equivocal" for them is within this range: (25.1-49.9)

Well...when they say 'equivocal' it pretty-much means 'probable weak positive' versus 'definite positive,' meaning they cannot clearly 'call it positive'...

BUT, the facts that you already 'have' Type I diabetes AND thyroid problems are big red flags for Celiac, when you coupled them with a weak positive IgA (as IgA antibodies more specific to Celiac than IgG).

I am not sure if other illnesses can cause your "anti-gliadin IgA" result to be elevated...That's the IgA you were tested for, btw (if you were told you got tested for Celiac disease)- it's a test for the anti-body levels in your blood against gliadin, the protein that causes the immune system to attack the villi in Celiacs, as it tries to attack the gliadin (mistakenly thinking it is a virus).

Well....Nov 8th is not too far away, and it's good that you did not have to 'fight' to get to see a GI doc, like some people have to. I hate when I read that...

Anway, your Gastro will most probably want to do an endoscopy w/biopsies, because most of them want to, since it is still considered to be 'what is expected of them by their peers,' so do NOT stop ingesting gluten - but, also do not go 'hog-wild, either...just eat some every day beforehand.

AND, be sure you print out the following article for your GI!:

Gluten-Free Diet Recommended for Patients with Serum IgA Endomysial Antibodies but Normal Duodenal Villi Biopsy, because he/she may just skip the endoscopy altogether!

I found it on a page at this site, actually, at:

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-59105052178.77

Also, ask him/her to rerun those 2 antibody tests, to see what results you get on a second run, and make sure he/she adds the following:

endomysial antibody (EmA) test  (the one referred to in that article I gave you the URL to above)

and,  I THINK, but am not sure, you will want these, too...

Transglutaminase Antibody, IgA

Transglutaminase Antibody, IgG

OK...that's about all I know to tell you.

I sure hope that was helpful - I know others on here know loads more than I do...but, that's a good start for you, at least...

I do not know a lot about all of the blood tests that can be run because, as you will see from my 'signature,' my diagnosis came about with ONLY the

Gliadin Antibody, IgA and IgG blood tests, even though I had an endoscopy that showed 'no current damage,' because I had already gone gluten-free and I had a very positive response to it, and I had already tested positive for one of the genes related to celiac disease. My doc gave me a "celiac disease" diagnosis based on all of that info, and on my Enterolab results showing a positive Gluten Sensitivity Stool Test, and a positive Stool Test for Autoimmune Reaction to Tissue Transglutaminase [Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA, versus a blood test for that, which I think you should get done, for both IgA and IgG, as I listed above].

Well - I imagine that others will chime in now - especially to help clarify what blood tests you'll want.

BEST WISHES!,

Gina

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

flo127 Newbie

Gina,

Thank you for responding to my post. As you can see, I am having some difficulty replying! I will suggest that the gastro run a full celiac panel as well as perform an endoscopy. A full panel should cover all the bases as far as the blood work goes.

I consider myself quite fortunate that I have a great endo who takes me seriously when I mention my health concerns. If I had to rely on my family Dr. I would still be fighting just to have celiac considered.

Once again thanks for the feedback!

Flo

FaithInScienceToo Contributor

Hi, Flo -

I see you have yet to 'master' the 2 reply option buttons ;-)

That happens a lot...

If you want to use part of another's reply, use the 'reply' button that has the little quote marks on it - and it you want to delete part of that info, just go into that and edit it out, after you click on the ["reply] button...

For instance, in your first repply to me, you obviously used the ["reply] button that appears right after my post, instead of the [add reply] button, at the end of your thread...

If you had wanted to quote only a portion of my reply, you first need to quote all of it, via that ["reply] button, and then move your cursor and highlight the parts you want deleted out...

Try it with this reply from me...use the ["reply] button, and then edit out everything except this one sentence - IF you want to practice ;-)

Anyway, glad that you are happy with your GI!

Tag on to this thread when you get your results, OK?

It'll be good to find out what you learn.

I'll track this thread now -

Best wishes,

Gina

• 4 weeks later...
flo127 Newbie

I just want to post an update. I met today with the Physcians assistant at the gastro's office. After talking with and examining me she recommended I have an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. She also ordered the tissue transglutaminase test. I went and had the blood drawn today so, as soon as I have the results back I will post them here. Unfortunately, the soonest I can get in for the endoscopy and colonoscopy is December 14th. Also, the impression I got was that she was not thoroughly convinced that I had celiac disease. I think she is leaning more towards "delayed gastric emptying" or gastropareisis diagnosis. Anyway, I will continue to keep you updated.

Flo127

Archived