Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Just Diagnose Celiac What Vitamins And Supplements Do I Need?

9 posts in this topic

I was just diagnose by a biopsy that I have Celiac, still waiting on blood work.  I started Gluten free diet and still in sever pain, no energy, don't have watery diarrhea but lose bowel movements, feel totally run down, have thrush in my mouth, not to mention totally overwhelmed.  I am totally confused on what vitamins and supplements I should take. What is the difference between probiotics and digestive enzymes and why and how should I take them? I also have microscopic colitis.  So I am fighting a double whammy right now with both my small and large intestines.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.  

Ads by Google:

I was just diagnose by a biopsy that I have Celiac, still waiting on blood work.  I started Gluten free diet and still in sever pain, no energy, don't have watery diarrhea but lose bowel movements, feel totally run down, have thrush in my mouth, not to mention totally overwhelmed.  I am totally confused on what vitamins and supplements I should take. What is the difference between probiotics and digestive enzymes and why and how should I take them? I also have microscopic colitis.  So I am fighting a double whammy right now with both my small and large intestines.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.  

Wow,  Please do work on it to get well.  IF you can do or have done a nutrient test you can find out some exact things that you are needing.  Do get  quality supplements.  I get mine through my health care professionals.

Probiotic:   Adds good bacteria that live in the intestines.  Yougart contains these bacteria.  There are many varities and each can have its own advantages.

Enzymes:  My health practitioner told me that the villi in the small intestine tell the pancreas when to fire.  When the villi is damaged, they fail to do this.  An enzyme supplement can help break down the food.  The damage to the villi is reversible, so you may not need to take the enzymes for ever.

Get Better soon

Diana

Wow,  Please do work on it to get well.  IF you can do or have done a nutrient test you can find out some exact things that you are needing.  Do get  quality supplements.  I get mine through my health care professionals.

Probiotic:   Adds good bacteria that live in the intestines.  Yougart contains these bacteria.  There are many varities and each can have its own advantages.

Enzymes:  My health practitioner told me that the villi in the small intestine tell the pancreas when to fire.  When the villi is damaged, they fail to do this.  An enzyme supplement can help break down the food.  The damage to the villi is reversible, so you may not need to take the enzymes for ever.

Get Better soon

Diana

Thank you Diana, this info really helps clear things up. 

We all seem to start a bit overwhelmed, but work out of it eventually.  Irish heart wrote a thread for Newbies incase you have yet to see it.  http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/?hl=%2Birishheart+%2Bnewbie#entry833862  I am still in the healing process.

Note:  there may be still some unanswered questions in the original post.  Also welcome Niese!

Diana

L-Glutaminase is a supplement that helps repair muscle tissue and as such, it helps repair the small intestine. It might be something to look into.

L-Glutaminase is a supplement that helps repair muscle tissue and as such, it helps repair the small intestine. It might be something to look into.

I did start L-Glutaminase a few days ago but seems like every time I take it my stomach burns for awhile afterwards. 

Get Better soon

Diana

My hubby bought me a probiotic and on the bottle it states enzymes for digestive health.  He swears this one pill is both probiotic and digestive enzymes.  I am still confused on these two. Can it be in one pill or is it two separate things that I need?

ioI did start L-Glutaminase a few days ago but seems like every time I take it my stomach burns for awhile afterwards. 

I think you're trying to do too much too soon.  My advice is to slow down.  Just adhere to the gluten-free diet.  Focus on that.  Because you have issues with Thrush, take probiotics.  Right now, I take Trunature that's dairy and soy free from Costco.  It's cheap.  After any courses of antibotics, I take Bio-K+ which dairy free versions and it's in liquid form.  It's not cheap, but it's what my doctor prescribes and it can be purchased in most health food stores or Whole Foods/Sprouts, etc.  

I take L-Glutamine now, but I waited for about six weeks of being gluten-free, just to let my system calm down.  I also didn't start taking iron supplements until then either (as they can be hard to digest) -- I have iron deficiency anemia.  Sometimes it's best to start something slowly, like every other day to build up a dosage that's right for you.  

Has your doctor prescribed anything for your thrush?  

My hubby bought me a probiotic and on the bottle it states enzymes for digestive health.  He swears this one pill is both probiotic and digestive enzymes.  I am still confused on these two. Can it be in one pill or is it two separate things that I need?

My probiotic is taken on an empty stomach.  Whereas my enzymes are taken before a meal.  They are separate.  They are different things.  I know they have capsules that are time release, so I can't say for sure whether it might be possible to release each when or where they are needed.