This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Applebee's

Brandiwine

Brandiwine Contributor

Good morning. Nick (ex-husband) took the kids and I out to Applebee's last night because they have a gluten-free menu (first time Ive eaten out since GFD) I talked to the manager and had to mark off chips and fries (after we had ordered both and Elijah had eaten one of the chips) because they fry them in the same grease as gluten food even though they have three fryers so don't know why they cant dedicate one to chips and fries but they were very understanding you could just tell they have no experience with this. We all loved our food but Elijah coughed all the way home ( one chip? Cross Contamination? Both?) I was really tired after but not out of the ordinary had a headache but had one before we went in from allergies, had a couple tummy pains before bed but not bad. Woke up with diarrhea :-/ but my guess is it was only CC not the food itself because our symptoms were mild compared to how they are when we just straight up get glutened! Do you think if I email corporate they would have them dedicate on if the three fryers? Maybe at least send them a memo about how to handle Celiac customers? It isn't that big of a deal for me not to eat out because I don't want to get sick but I do miss going out with my kids on occasion and Elijah ( oldest son also Celiac) really misses going out, he enjoys the experience and it gives him an opportunity to have meat ( I'm Vegan). How much of a change can I get resturants to make when we seem to be the only ones in our community and surrounding areas with Celiac?! :-/

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

I've said this before about Applebee's and I'll say it again, they are simply not the type of restaurant that is equipped to handle gluten free requests. The same is true for any similar style place. He may be sick from that single chip. My personal opinion is that he is sick because his entire meal was CC'd.

Giving up going out to eat is not necessary. Choosing wisely is. Always check out restaurants online and/or call ahead to be sure you are comfortable going out there. (I personally keep a "list" of safe places I can go locally to eat. This means if family pops into town and wants to go out and asks where I can eat I have suggestions without having to think about it.) Never, I seriously mean never, order food before speaking with your server or the manager about how they handle the food. What are their practices to best avoid CC? There is no point ordering something and finding out after that it won't be safe to eat. Especially since they'll probably still expect you to pay for it.

It isn't about giving up going out, it is simply about doing so prepared and armed to keep yourself and child safe. Red Robin instead of Applebee's would be the sort of compromise a family has to make to any "tradition" or what someone wants because taking the rest of the kids out or expecting one to sit there and watch everyone else eat is cruel. As with many things with this disease, it is simply a lifestyle change, not that something is truly lost. If necessary you can get a list of "safe" restaurants and teach your ex how to appropriately grill the staff to keep his child safe. I'm guessing you won't always be there and he needs to know.

Brandiwine Contributor

Thank you for replying. I saw Applebee's on Find Me gluten-free app which came to me highly recommended. I did talk to the server before hand about our needs and they had the chips and fries on the gluten-free menu but when they came out I picked up a chip and knew they were fried not just heated so I asked her if they had a dedicated fryer she said no I asked if the fries were baked ( the restaurant I used to cook at baked theirs) and again no. They brought him mashed potatoes in place if fries and didn't charge for them. We don't eat at any fast food places even before this life change and not going to start now. We actually had to drive 45mins to get to this restaurant there are no restaurants near us we can safely eat at, I have called everyone and talked to management. I am going to email Applebee's I feel if they made the effort to make the gluten-free menu that they could make the effort to dedicate a fryer and brief the staff. They could add a page in the employee hand book about food allergies and Celiac. Maybe Im naive....

Adalaide Mentor

I'm not sure if you are mentioning fast food in response to me saying Red Robin as an alternative to Applebee's or not, but Red Robin is not fast food. I recommended them because they are a well known chain that is capable of doing gluten free right (even offering buns for burgers) and in the same price range as Applebee's. There may be other places in the same area as the Applebee's, you may just have to check around. I grew up in an area where if we wanted to go out to a chain restaurant that wasn't fast food we drove 45-60 minutes to get there. That said, where I grew up there were (and are still) many small local restaurants that fit the same price range as Applebee's and would be more than able and happy to accommodate a celiac.

You can contact corporate, but I'm not sure it will do any good. It is just my opinion, but trying to force the issue with a restaurant that clearly has no interest in providing safe gluten free meals won't help get safe gluten free meals. And no one reads employee handbooks, training at places like these is a joke (in relation to this sort of thing) and unless (or until) they make it a serious focus and selling point they will not take the time needed to appropriately cover the subject.

w8in4dave Community Regular

So Red Robin has a gluten free menu? Wow!! Thats nice to know!! I will have to check out the list!! Maby call the one not far from us!! 

Brandiwine Contributor

You can contact corporate, but I'm not sure it will do any good. It is just my opinion, but trying to force the issue with a restaurant that clearly has no interest in providing safe gluten free meals won't help get safe gluten free meals. And no one reads employee handbooks, training at places like these is a joke (in relation to this sort of thing) and unless (or until) they make it a serious focus and selling point they will not take the time needed to appropriately cover the subject.

I don't agree, I feel they do have an interest in providing safe meals or they wouldn't have had a gluten-free menu at all. They compt his mashed potatoes to replace the fries they were very understand and made a great effort I could tell that they just weren't very educated about it. Emailing corporate may or may not do any thing but I feel if I sat down with the manager I dealt with last night she may try to incorporate changes. They didn't treat us rudely about it at all.... We don't even have a Red Robin around here.

Lisa Mentor

Applebee's is the most unaware chain of restaurants that I am aware of, regarding serving a gluten intolernant patron.  The management is clueless, the wait staff is clue less and I can't imagine the kitchen :wacko:  This is based on my local restaurant and a few others that I have had no option, but to attemp a carefull meal....and never with success.

Unfortunately, Applebee's is far down my list, it's not even on my radar.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Brandiwine Contributor

They definitely were clueless... :-/

karichelle Newbie

I broke up with Applebee's a long time ago when I went vegan...long before going gluten-free. Not much on their menu for a vegan to eat, much less gluten-free too.

GlutenStinks15 Explorer

I have to say that I was MUCH more comfortable at Outback Steakhouse and Pizzeria Uno's than I was at Applebee's. I walked out of Applebee's after speaking with the manager because I just didn't feel safe enough.

mamaw Community Regular

I  agree  with the other  posters Applebees    wins  the  award  for  " Best  clueless   about  gluten-free"""""  Outback  is  on  top  of the  gluten-free  knowledge... Red  Robin, Chipolite, Uno's  to name  a  few  better  ones...

Well then so much for them!! Lol I have really never been a big fan of them anyway!! I went out to eat 2 times this week and both times was sick from it!! Not as bad as I used to get sick, but still!! Pffttttt!! 

bartfull Rising Star

I found out there IS an Outback in Rapid City! I'm so excited!! Some Sunday soon, I'm going to close the shop early and grab a friend and go eat there. That means there are now TWO restaurants "in the area" I can eat at. Lintz Brother's pizza is only 50 miles away and Outback is 60. But both are on good road so it's only and hour or so drive to get there.

Pizza! Steak! I'm in!!!!

Outback is also gluten free? Ohhh I have alot to learn!

psawyer Proficient

Outback is also gluten free? Ohhh I have alot to learn!

Outback was one of the first chains to welcome us, more than a decade ago. IIRC, the founder had a close relative with celiac disease.

TY I used to LOVE Outback!! But they quit making the Queensland Salad! So I quit going!! I may have to start again!! :) 

Archived