78 replies to this topic

#1 grodeylocks

grodeylocks

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

Has anyone here ever been discriminated against for being gluten free. I feel as though everywhere I go whenever I mention my problem I sometimes get the rolling eyes in the back of the head treatment. I was even recently denied being able to bring in my own food to an event at an A's baseball game. Is this even legal? I am just disgusted and to the point where if someone says the wrong thing to me again and associates my disease with being a wimp it's going to take a lot not to deck them out. :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 vitaminme71

vitaminme71

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

I feel ya- I recently had to travel through a major airport and they would not allow anything that had packaged and labeled except for sunflower seeds. I specifically packed it knowing that the kiosks and restaurants were not gluten free. Fresh fruit and natural yogurt was not available either! Sorry for those dairy free people as well <_< The only thing they allowed through were sunflower seeds. So, I didn't totally starve but felt extremely discriminated against, especially after explaining that I'm Celiac.

Restaurants have cross-contamination a lot so eating out is rare for me. I, too, find that most places are not learned for Celiacs and gluten sensitivities. 95% of my experience has been the roll the eyes, or they forget to bring me a "gluten free" menu or make it sound like they care about us, when they don't. We aren't the fad dieters!

Until food places get on board for people with REAL health issues and NOT fad dieting, we must prepare otherwise...somehow. Planning ahead and researching places ahead has helped me. It is really annoying because I have better things to do with my time. I have found some communities online and some city forums promoting groups through Yahoo and Google. Meeting up with similar people has opened options with places who are gluten free and Celiac friendly!

The only thing I can suggest for you in environments like your experience, wear cargo pants and carry small bags of gluten free snacks. OR maybe call ahead to their patron office and explain your experience. They may have suggestions for you? 

#3 kareng

kareng

Dispeller of Shady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,997 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

I have never heard of an airport that didn't allow you to carry food thru.  They might not allow a full sized yogurt, but most of us carry sandwiches, nuts, candy, fruit, small squeeze packets of PB (in the liquids baggie),etc

When I go to something like the baseball game, I email or call a few weeks ahead of time.  There is usually an email for people with disabilities or fan support.  For Major League Soccer - I couldn't figure out who to email, so I emailed head of catering, the finance guy and the head of the club.  Everyone I could find an email for.  They sent me an email from the top guy to show at the gate.  Worked fine.  I have done this in other stadiums, too.  I haven't even had to show my doctor's note to prove I have Celiac.

You can't expect the person who makes less than $10 an hour at the gate to be able to make exceptions to the rules.  They are paid to get as many people searched and thru the gates as fast as possible.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 grodeylocks

grodeylocks

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

We need to start taking a firm stance against this type of behavior. It is intolerable. I'm not sure what to do though aside from start suing the crap out of people.

#5 grodeylocks

grodeylocks

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

As you guys can tell I'm really fired up about this. lol. The way some places treat us is just wrong.

#6 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

We need to start taking a firm stance against this type of behavior. It is intolerable. I'm not sure what to do though aside from start suing the crap out of people.

if you have celiac, you can start with your parents.  because it's genetic :)

usually, like karen said, you can get special permission by contacting the facility ahead of time.  i went to a nascar race last year at bristol and i was allowed to bring a little backpack in with food and what-not.  they sell redbridge on the main concourse but we had skybox seats and i had to contact the caterering company to get my beer supplied up there - only because it comes in bottles.  i have a bar in knoxville that the owner lets me bring my own redbridge in and they serve it to me and i just tip the bartenders.  (lolz and i tell people -- hey watch me get a beer for a dollar, they say 'no way!' and then i do.  source of constant amusement :D)  i usually get better treatment/bent rules if you just do your advance legwork.  

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 grodeylocks

grodeylocks

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

I asked them ahead of time and was pretty much told no exceptions to their rules. I'm sorry but its just ridiculous and was a violation of my rights.

#8 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

If we want to have exceptions to the rules for us, we need to make sure that we are making the appropriate effort needed to get those exceptions. As pointed out, the dude making barely over minimum wage isn't going to do (pardon my french) jack shit for you. Why? Because he was told in his training on day one that no exceptions, period, or he could lose his job. He doesn't give a crap if you have 500 diseases, unless you have a note from his boss saying you have an exception he isn't going to get fired for some Joe Shmoe throwing a hissy fit at the gate. Your lack of planning ahead isn't worth him risking his ability to pay his rent and feed his kids.

It is our responsibility to plan ahead. I rarely go out to eat, and while I don't do sporting events I indulge in the occasional movie in a theater. When I go to the movies I don't want anything special, I want the same thing everyone else wants. Popcorn and soda. Because of all the things I can't have, I can't even have fountain sodas or theater popcorn... not that I would trust a teenager in a theater that serves hotdogs to serve me popcorn anyway. When it was time to plan the most exciting movie night out of my life last month, I didn't take chances. I went in and spoke with the manager of the theater the day before I was seeing my movie to be sure I wouldn't have an issue bring my own popcorn and a type of soda I can have. Not because I feel that this disease should put extra work on us, but because it simply is what it is. I wanted to enjoy a fun evening without a hitch and knew that for one of the most anticipated movies of the year that the manager was not going to have time on opening night to deal with my BS.

With sporting events, I do know that a fair number of stadiums now have one or more gluten free vendors in their stadiums. If they have taken steps to meet our needs then there is no reason for them to allow in outside food for our special needs. If you spoke to managers and not just ticketing agents about the issue and they were truly firm about it then all I can recommend is finding out why this is their policy. It may be because they already have vendors in place. It may be ignorance. It may be they didn't really understand what you were asking. And, honestly, some people just come off as rather hostile and that is the reason they don't get an exception. They act self-entitled instead of politely explaining the health reasons for the request.

Frankly, your rights aren't being violated by being forced not to eat for the length of a baseball game.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#9 grodeylocks

grodeylocks

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

If we want to have exceptions to the rules for us, we need to make sure that we are making the appropriate effort needed to get those exceptions. As pointed out, the dude making barely over minimum wage isn't going to do (pardon my french) jack shit for you. Why? Because he was told in his training on day one that no exceptions, period, or he could lose his job. He doesn't give a crap if you have 500 diseases, unless you have a note from his boss saying you have an exception he isn't going to get fired for some Joe Shmoe throwing a hissy fit at the gate. Your lack of planning ahead isn't worth him risking his ability to pay his rent and feed his kids.

It is our responsibility to plan ahead. I rarely go out to eat, and while I don't do sporting events I indulge in the occasional movie in a theater. When I go to the movies I don't want anything special, I want the same thing everyone else wants. Popcorn and soda. Because of all the things I can't have, I can't even have fountain sodas or theater popcorn... not that I would trust a teenager in a theater that serves hotdogs to serve me popcorn anyway. When it was time to plan the most exciting movie night out of my life last month, I didn't take chances. I went in and spoke with the manager of the theater the day before I was seeing my movie to be sure I wouldn't have an issue bring my own popcorn and a type of soda I can have. Not because I feel that this disease should put extra work on us, but because it simply is what it is. I wanted to enjoy a fun evening without a hitch and knew that for one of the most anticipated movies of the year that the manager was not going to have time on opening night to deal with my BS.

With sporting events, I do know that a fair number of stadiums now have one or more gluten free vendors in their stadiums. If they have taken steps to meet our needs then there is no reason for them to allow in outside food for our special needs. If you spoke to managers and not just ticketing agents about the issue and they were truly firm about it then all I can recommend is finding out why this is their policy. It may be because they already have vendors in place. It may be ignorance. It may be they didn't really understand what you were asking. And, honestly, some people just come off as rather hostile and that is the reason they don't get an exception. They act self-entitled instead of politely explaining the health reasons for the request.

Frankly, your rights aren't being violated by being forced not to eat for the length of a baseball game.

There was a similar thing that happened at pizza hut where a woman brought in mcdonalds or something so one of her kids could eat. They were asked to leave. She ended up suing them and I believe she won. The fact of the matter is that it is a vilation of your rights under the Americans with Disabilities act.

#10 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

i agree with adalaide ^  the worst times i have had/feeling deprived/hungry with no food have been the times i haven't planned ahead.  it gets easier!

are you pretty new to this?  if you are diagnosed with celiac, you can talk to the 'handicapped' co-ordinators - if they have a handicapped section, you should be able to find someone to help you.  honestly, once i explained that i had a medical thing going on i have not had to whip out my doctor's note ever.  next time, try that.  lolz i have had them ask me if i needed to sit in the handicapped section (usually GREAT seats) but i declined  :)  

annnnd - if your mama ain't told you:  you catch more flies with sugar.  

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 kareng

kareng

Dispeller of Shady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,997 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

We don't really have a right to eat at a baseball game. If you just spoke to the person selling tickets or whatever, that might not be the right person. Talk to the head of security or the GM. Tell them you have Celiac disease and can show them a note from your doctor. Might need to give a brief explanation of Celiac but, probably not as big stadiums have encountered this request before. I'm not sure if the A's is one of the stadiums providing gluten-free food, you might be able to find that out.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

LTES

#12 grodeylocks

grodeylocks

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

I did plan ahead. They flat out told me no we can not accommodate you. That's why I am so upset about that situation.

#13 kareng

kareng

Dispeller of Shady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,997 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

http://www.glutenfre...parks-2013.html

This is a partial list of what stadiums have for gluten-free food. I know it isn't complete for my stadium as I found other things. Our food service " chef" said to email a week or so before the game I am going to and he could help me with some choice besides what is listed. I usually eat a little bit at home and get a Redbridge and popcorn at the game.

LTES

#14 grodeylocks

grodeylocks

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

It's ok, I'll just be going to more giants games. They have gluten free beer there and then I dont have to go to Oakland. It's a win win situation.

#15 kareng

kareng

Dispeller of Shady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,997 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

There was a similar thing that happened at pizza hut where a woman brought in mcdonalds or something so one of her kids could eat. They were asked to leave. She ended up suing them and I believe she won. The fact of the matter is that it is a vilation of your rights under the Americans with Disabilities act.

I know you are angry but we do not have a right to food at a baseball game. If the stadium decided not to sell food to anyone, that would not be a violations of everyone who wanted to buy overpriced food's rights. If the stadium decided to only sell snack items like chips and candy, is that a violation of the rights of someone who would like a steak? If someone wants lobster and they don't sell it, how is that a violation of rights.

I am not going to continue a pointless argument with you. Sometimes life isn't fair or fun.

LTES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: