This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Discrimination

grodeylocks

love2travel Mentor

Though I agree this disease can downright suck at times, I choose not to view it as a disability. If I did, I would likely fixate on it, feel sorry for myself and feel very wretched indeed. Not a good path for me to take. There are times of inconvenience such as long flight delays but thankfully have never felt discriminated against. Thankfully I am a good (aka analytical) planner and do my best to prevent potential problems armed with delicious snacks wherever I go. Either that or I go without. A good example is travel. We regularly visit Croatia where gratis desserts are served at about 95% of restaurants. Sometimes it hurts but I know it is one of their cultural forms of hospitality and would never expect a gluten free dessert. I am a gourmand to the nth degree but I do not need or feel entitled to a dessert. And I am fine with that.

Technically I would be considered disabled due to severe chronic pain as I can only sit for 30 minutes at a time. If I really got it into my mind I was disabled I would give up hope and could not handle that mentally which would spell bad news physically as well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
notme Experienced

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/101826-disney-thinks-bullying-a-gluten-free-kid-is-funny/

here - i hope the link works - i am bad at the 'interwebs' lolz

notme Experienced

Makes me wonder about Celiacs who are homeless. What about soup kitchens. God what a horrible situation. I'm sure there are some out there now that are forced to just gluten themselves.

i always wonder if they even get diagnosed :(  

our church has a food pantry and i have been checking if there have been any requests for gluten free food.  so far, none.

love2travel Mentor

Makes me wonder about Celiacs who are homeless. What about soup kitchens. God what a horrible situation. I'm sure there are some out there now that are forced to just gluten themselves.

This would be deplorable indeed.

notme Experienced

gratis desserts 

(psst, love2!  that means free with the meal, right?)

grodeylocks Apprentice

This would be deplorable indeed.

But then should soup kitchens be forced to serve gluten free options. I'm not sure how it works in that case. I think everyone in this country should have the right to eat food they can handle. I know this is a ridiculous point but just imagine how truly vulnerable we could be.

IrishHeart Veteran

I am just calling on all of you to confront this type of behavior whenever we encounter it, and to support your fellow celiac in these cases.

I am all for supporting my fellow celiacs and I spend a lot of my time doing just that (including providing food pantries with shelf stable celiac meals), but now, you are straying off on tangents well beyond the scope of your original topic and taking things off the internet to try and support YOUR cause.

The majority of us just do not agree that all of these fall under the same umbrella of "discrimination"

Your main  b%$@# is  about "no food" available at a ball game (but you are not starving, right??) 

while others you are citing  are about bullying and the other articles are legit civil rights arguments.

and some are frivolous.

Stop mixing apples and oranges to make your point. It does not work..

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

grodeylocks Apprentice

I am all for supporting my fellow celiacs and I spend a lot of my time doing just that, but now, you are straying off on tangents well beyond the scope of your original topic and taking things off the internet to try and support YOUR cause.

The majority of us just do not agree that all of these fall under the same umbrella of "discrimination"

Your b%$@# is "no food", others are  bullying and others are legit civil rights arguments.

Stop mixing apples and oranges to make your point. It does not work..

You again. I thought you were out! :P

love2travel Mentor

(psst, love2!  that means free with the meal, right?)

Yes! They are truly generous.

IrishHeart Veteran

You again. I thought you were out! :P

Well, see, the problem with me is, I am a former teacher and I always feel the need to try just once more, but I see it was probably a waste of my time

because I know an antagonistic sort when I see one and  :P . back atcha.

I have just one question, to be considered for this "disabilities act"... you need a diagnosis of celiac.

Does this apply to you?

kareng Grand Master

All this is beyond what you posted about originally and I feel you are just reaching for something to try to make your point and have to use " old news" to do it:

A mom deciding to give a kid McDonalds is against her Civil Rights is hardly a Supreme Court ruling also discussed widely at the time of the event

The article you linked to was discussed in the Celiac community a year ago and its just a guy's idea of humor and no one really has to see it.

The Disney show was protested and Disney pulled it & apologized within a day or two of it surfacing

You are a bit behind the Celiac community if you want to help. A good way to help with Celiac Awareness is explain nicely and correctly wherever you are. When requesting to bring a bit of food into a stadium, explain politely and completely ( its not an allergy). Ask what you could purchase that is gluten-free.

grodeylocks Apprentice

When people refuse to take your illness seriously call them out on it, when people scoff and call us ridiculous and that our problems are made up speak up against them, I mean I even have a celiac friend who had bought a burger and brought her own gluten-free bread to put the burger in and was told she couldnt bring in outside food. I say resist!!!!!

kareng Grand Master

When people refuse to take your illness seriously call them out on it, when people scoff and call us ridiculous and that our problems are made up speak up against them, I mean I even have a celiac friend who had bought a burger and brought her own gluten-free bread to put the burger in and was told she couldnt bring in outside food. I say resist!!!!!

In that case, take it up with your local health department. They govern this sort of thing and tie a restauruant's hands.

Jestgar Rising Star

Makes me wonder about Celiacs who are homeless.

Diabetics who are homeless

People with thyroid disease who are homeless

People with cancer who are homeless

People with....

It's the 'homeless' part that's bad, and having celiac disease, in my opinion, is a lesser issue when homeless than plenty of other things

People with the flu

People who need meds

People missing limbs

love2travel Mentor

Diabetics who are homeless

People with thyroid disease who are homeless

People with cancer who are homeless

People with....

It's the 'homeless' part that's bad, and having celiac disease, in my opinion, is a lesser issue when homeless than plenty of other things

People with the flu

People who need meds

People missing limbs

Very true. It is a matter of seeing the bigger picture.
powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

just curious Irish, what age level and subject did you teach?  You can only redirect and help so many times before it becomes a lost cause.  sometimes students and people come around, sometimes they don't  :P  that's been a hard lesson for me to learn, but such is life  :)

Well, see, the problem with me is, I am a former teacher and I always feel the need to try just once more, but I see it was probably a waste of my time

because I know an antagonistic sort when I see one and  :P . back atcha.

notme Experienced

Open Original Shared Link

this recent article says the oakland stadium has gluten-free offerings.  so your original point is moot, anyway.  

dang, lookit all the stadiums that have stuff!  :)  you just picked one of the suckiest ones lolz

IrishHeart Veteran

just curious Irish, what age level and subject did you teach?  You can only redirect and help so many times before it becomes a lost cause.  sometimes students and people come around, sometimes they don't  :P  that's been a hard lesson for me to learn, but such is life  :)

I subscribe to the theory that presumed  "lost causes" are the only ones worth fighting for...but I know when I am being played and methinks that's what is happening here. 

I taught middle school, high school,  college and MBA candidates, to answer your question.. 

i asked a question of the OP .....and I am awaiting an answer. :)

grodeylocks Apprentice

I did explain nicely, and they were quite rude to me, that's why I was so outraged. I usually am quite nice until you tick me off. I am a biochemist by training and so I like to deal with painstaking details. I am a diagnosed dermatitis herpetiformis sufferer so that means I have celiac. I was aware of those events that happened in the past as well. I am just trying to get you guys to fight back. The gluten free lifestyle needs not be so painstaking. If only stricter laws were in place such as clearly labelling ingredients as containing gluten, or that when something in a restaurant is labelled gluten free that it is indeed gluten free our lives would be so much easier. All of this is acheivable. Perhaps discrimination isn't the right word, but the fact is that I do have the right to be angry that an entity can deny me from bringing something in that clearly does no harm to no one. I mean it's not like I am saying that every place needs to provide gluten free options. However, is it really all that wrong of me to bring my own food to a place of social gathering so that I can not have to worry about getting sick. Really who is that harming? Nobody!

btw a lot of times when you go out you have to say you have a severe allergy or else no one will take you serious.

Adalaide Mentor

Open Original Shared Link

this recent article says the oakland stadium has gluten-free offerings.  so your original point is moot, anyway.  

dang, lookit all the stadiums that have stuff!   :)  you just picked one of the suckiest ones lolz

I pointed out (I believe) in one of my posts that this sort of thing could be the reason they don't allow food. When they are already providing gluten free snacks there is absolutely no reason at all to allow someone to bring in their own food when it just means that they won't be making money selling things. So you don't like what they offer? So what, I'm sure plenty of people don't like the offerings they have. They are accommodating celiacs. Any arguing farther at this point is pissing, moaning and whining by someone who frankly is being a bit self-entitled and b%$@#y.

IrishHeart Veteran

btw a lot of times when you go out you have to say you have a severe allergy or else no one will take you serious.

I never use the word "allergy"  when I talk about celiac..I just say politely that  I have celiac disease... and I am always taken seriously.

You do not need to urge us to "fight back" hon....we all work hard for celiac awareness on a daily basis in ways you may not even imagine. 

Our point to you is...this is not a legitimate cause for a law suit or a reason to get so worked up  You just seem to keep missing our points. Just because I have celiac , I do not view myself as "deserving" of special treatment.

Frankly, I think you need to get over yourself. IMHO, of course. :)

notme Experienced

i think things *are* changing for the better.  we have better labeling laws and as legislators are made more aware of the issue, i expect more and better changes.  but right now, if i have to eat my burger in the car before i go in it's not going to kill me.  it's all the whining, in my opinion, that gives fodder to the eye rollers.

edited to add:  i say 'celiac' and i say 'medically necessary' - seems to do the trick

Adalaide Mentor

I did explain nicely, and they were quite rude to me, that's why I was so outraged. I usually am quite nice until you tick me off. I am a biochemist by training and so I like to deal with painstaking details. I am a diagnosed dermatitis herpetiformis sufferer so that means I have celiac. I was aware of those events that happened in the past as well. I am just trying to get you guys to fight back. The gluten free lifestyle needs not be so painstaking. If only stricter laws were in place such as clearly labelling ingredients as containing gluten, or that when something in a restaurant is labelled gluten free that it is indeed gluten free our lives would be so much easier. All of this is acheivable. Perhaps discrimination isn't the right word, but the fact is that I do have the right to be angry that an entity can deny me from bringing something in that clearly does no harm to no one. I mean it's not like I am saying that every place needs to provide gluten free options. However, is it really all that wrong of me to bring my own food to a place of social gathering so that I can not have to worry about getting sick. Really who is that harming? Nobody!

By the way, some of us are fierce advocates of the gluten free community and played roles (some large, some lesser) in things like having that Jessie episode pulled, getting an apology from Hoda, getting companies to recognize mistakes they have made, etc. So don't even start s$#& about how we aren't involved enough. You come on here all "I'm gonna sue everyone blah blah blah" and we get a little defensive about our community because that isn't the kind of people we are.

kareng Grand Master

I was aware of those events that happened in the past as well. I am just trying to get you guys to fight back.

Well, then you are also aware that we already " fought back" and handled the ones that needed it.

I use the word " disease". That seems worse than an allergy to most people.

grodeylocks Apprentice

Lucky for you guys, science is way ahead of policy in this realm so that we probably will have much easier lives in about 5 years or so. I never once said anyone wasn't involved enough, all I said was that we should confront what isn't right when it happens and if you already do that well then great. You get on my case for getting all fired up and passionate for the celiac cause. That's ridiculous. I wasn't rude to them in any way however I was given a very rude response from them and I was upset. It's not like I got all angry and crazy with them there. But the fact of the matter is that not unlike many other illnesses there is discrimination that exists towards celiacs in some cases, and we need to unite and face this when ever it happens.

Archived