78 replies to this topic

#46 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

It's discrimination when you are denied something available to others, not when you're denied what you want.

and on that intelligent note, (and thank you, Jess :) )...I'm out... . I tried my best. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 grodeylocks

grodeylocks

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

The point of this topic was to point out that discrimination exists towards celiacs and that it is our duty to stand up and protect other celiacs from this type of thing. The whole stadium thing was just one incident to which I felt personally discriminated against. You can agree with me or disagree whether or not that was so, however you can't deny that many people have view us with certain stereotypes which I believe is expressed in cases such as that disney channel portrayal of a child with celiac disease.

I am just calling on all of you to confront this type of behavior whenever we encounter it, and to support your fellow celiac in these cases.

#48 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

In our case I think its discrimination. Under the Americans with disabilities act.

http://newsok.com/ok...article/3627995

i bet if she brought a sandwich from home, and spoken with the manager on arrival, she would not have had a problem.  allowing another brand is probably against their company policy - and whomever allowed it to happen in that store would have worried about losing their job.   who knows...  

once i did get stuck at the airport with just a turkey samwich to last me a day and a half - got a turkey samwich through security, got pretty much anything i ever tried to get through security, food-wise, (they make you get rid of your open drinks, though, but you can get juice, water, etc once you get inside) i even got stuff through that i forgot i had and was surprised they let me by :)  

maybe it's the winking :rolleyes:  ;););) cheaper than a lawsuit!! 

side note:  ick, mcdonalds burger lolz 

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#49 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

The point of this topic was to point out that discrimination exists towards celiacs and that it is our duty to stand up and protect other celiacs from this type of thing. The whole stadium thing was just one incident to which I felt personally discriminated against. You can agree with me or disagree whether or not that was so, however you can't deny that many people have view us with certain stereotypes which I believe is expressed in cases such as that disney channel portrayal of a child with celiac disease.

I am just calling on all of you to confront this type of behavior whenever we encounter it, and to support your fellow celiac in these cases.

absolutely!  and this ^ disney topic has already been heartily discussed (i even think there was a petition involved)  and from what i understand, disney has pulled this episode as a result.  

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#50 grodeylocks

grodeylocks

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

Makes me wonder about Celiacs who are homeless. What about soup kitchens. God what a horrible situation. I'm sure there are some out there now that are forced to just gluten themselves.

#51 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

Though I agree this disease can downright suck at times, I choose not to view it as a disability. If I did, I would likely fixate on it, feel sorry for myself and feel very wretched indeed. Not a good path for me to take. There are times of inconvenience such as long flight delays but thankfully have never felt discriminated against. Thankfully I am a good (aka analytical) planner and do my best to prevent potential problems armed with delicious snacks wherever I go. Either that or I go without. A good example is travel. We regularly visit Croatia where gratis desserts are served at about 95% of restaurants. Sometimes it hurts but I know it is one of their cultural forms of hospitality and would never expect a gluten free dessert. I am a gourmand to the nth degree but I do not need or feel entitled to a dessert. And I am fine with that.

Technically I would be considered disabled due to severe chronic pain as I can only sit for 30 minutes at a time. If I really got it into my mind I was disabled I would give up hope and could not handle that mentally which would spell bad news physically as well.

Edited by love2travel, 10 June 2013 - 03:19 PM.

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#52 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

http://www.celiac.co...e-kid-is-funny/

here - i hope the link works - i am bad at the 'interwebs' lolz

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#53 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

Makes me wonder about Celiacs who are homeless. What about soup kitchens. God what a horrible situation. I'm sure there are some out there now that are forced to just gluten themselves.

i always wonder if they even get diagnosed :(  

our church has a food pantry and i have been checking if there have been any requests for gluten free food.  so far, none.

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#54 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

This would be deplorable indeed.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#55 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

gratis desserts 

(psst, love2!  that means free with the meal, right?)

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#56 grodeylocks

grodeylocks

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

This would be deplorable indeed.

But then should soup kitchens be forced to serve gluten free options. I'm not sure how it works in that case. I think everyone in this country should have the right to eat food they can handle. I know this is a ridiculous point but just imagine how truly vulnerable we could be.

#57 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

I am all for supporting my fellow celiacs and I spend a lot of my time doing just that (including providing food pantries with shelf stable celiac meals), but now, you are straying off on tangents well beyond the scope of your original topic and taking things off the internet to try and support YOUR cause.

The majority of us just do not agree that all of these fall under the same umbrella of "discrimination"

Your main  bitch is  about "no food" available at a ball game (but you are not starving, right??) 

while others you are citing  are about bullying and the other articles are legit civil rights arguments.

and some are frivolous.

Stop mixing apples and oranges to make your point. It does not work..

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#58 grodeylocks

grodeylocks

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

I am all for supporting my fellow celiacs and I spend a lot of my time doing just that, but now, you are straying off on tangents well beyond the scope of your original topic and taking things off the internet to try and support YOUR cause.

The majority of us just do not agree that all of these fall under the same umbrella of "discrimination"

Your bitch is "no food", others are  bullying and others are legit civil rights arguments.

Stop mixing apples and oranges to make your point. It does not work..

You again. I thought you were out! :P

#59 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

(psst, love2!  that means free with the meal, right?)

Yes! They are truly generous.

#60 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

You again. I thought you were out! :P

Well, see, the problem with me is, I am a former teacher and I always feel the need to try just once more, but I see it was probably a waste of my time

because I know an antagonistic sort when I see one and  :P . back atcha.

I have just one question, to be considered for this "disabilities act"... you need a diagnosis of celiac.

Does this apply to you?

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: