37 replies to this topic

#1 KikiUSA

KikiUSA

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

I thought wine was Gluten Free but now I'm starting to wonder....I drink White Zinfandel...has anyone ever had trouble with wine or does anyone know if that could effect your blood work levels????

Diagnosed 12-2-09 with celiac disease
Have a wonderful husband who I am madly in love with and 2 wonderful children
Everyday is a challenge and journey, I am so glad I have people to go through it with

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

Kiki....wine is unequivocably gluten free.  This has been discussed many times previously on this forum and I can assure you....wine is gluten-free.  Some people may disagree but all the celiac organizations out there....the reputable ones, do not list wine on the forbidden lists and state wine is safe so go ahead and enjoy your Zinfandel.  It will not affect your blood work.  :)

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

I assure you,  it is gluten free, otherwise I'd be dead by now.

Cheers!

drinking-wine-smiley-emoticon.gif

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 KikiUSA

KikiUSA

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

Thank you both for responding!!! This makes me feel so much better!!!!  Now if I can figure out why my levels are so high I can fix it. Terrible feeling thinking that for the past 3 years you been eating right and all new dishes and they still tell you your doing it wrong :(

I am so thankful for this website you all on here are so helpful and caring..thanks again so much!

Everyday is a challenge and journey, I am so glad I have people to go through it with

#5 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

Wine is gluten free, but that does not mean that your body can process it successfully. Some can, some can't.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#6 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

Kiki, there have definitely been a number of discussions regarding this on this forum.

I would recommend doing a search of the forum to read them and draw your own conclusions.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#7 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:51 AM

Kiki, there have definitely been a number of discussions regarding this on this forum.

I would recommend doing a search of the forum to read them and draw your own conclusions.

:rolleyes:

#8 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:56 AM

I drink wine and my repeat antibody tests are fine.  I would think that the major Celiac Centers and organizations would warn us if wine was not safe for Celiacs. 

http://www.curecelia...ning-ingredient

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#9 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:00 AM

A link about fining: http://www.ajevonlin.../4/308.abstract

Tricia Thompson's study showing negative tests with detection limits of 5 and 10 ppm of wine aged in oak barrels sealed with wheat paste: https://www.glutenfr...g/blog.php?id=8

My experience is that it isn't a problem unless you are extremely sensitive.  As stated by others, I can't know for sure that any reaction I have is to gluten, just like anyone else here.  All I can know is that all those symptoms that went away when I got diagnosed and went gluten-free come back when I eat or drink certain things.

#10 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

I drink wine -- it is really my only indulgence -- I cannot drink white and some reds -- but it has nothing to do with gluten -- rather sulphites and histamine.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#11 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

I drink wine and my repeat antibody tests are fine.  I would think that the major Celiac Centers and organizations would warn us if wine was not safe for Celiacs. 

http://www.curecelia...ning-ingredient

Same here.  And I must admit, I drink a glass of wine every night with my dinner.  I love my red wine.  My antibody tests were pegged when I was diagnosed and my last one came in at a 1...which is as low as humanly possible to achieve. If there were any amount of gluten in wine, this would not be possible.

I answered your other post, Kiki, regarding your high levels.  It may not be your diet so make sure the doctor did the correct testing and go from there!

#12 KikiUSA

KikiUSA

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

Same here.  And I must admit, I drink a glass of wine every night with my dinner.  I love my red wine.  My antibody tests were pegged when I was diagnosed and my last one came in at a 1...which is as low as humanly possible to achieve. If there were any amount of gluten in wine, this would not be possible.

I answered your other post, Kiki, regarding your high levels.  It may not be your diet so make sure the doctor did the correct testing and go from there!

Thank you all for your help and I do a lot of research on this site but it is helpful when you really get to talk to people who are going through what you are so thanks!

And Gemini I will check out the testing part also!

#13 kitkatkid

kitkatkid

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

I used to always drink arbor mist strawberry wine. After cutting out gluten I found I felt like I was hit by a truck the morning following arbor mist, my stomach hurt and I was in the bathroom often. I switched to "real" wine at the advice of the owner of the liquor store and I have felt much better. That being said some of the white wines still made me feel  really foggy the next day, others don't. I don't know if this lend credence to the how they are stored theory? but i would stick with pure wines (beware "wine drinks" coolers etc), and keep track of any brand that caused you to feel glutened. I'm not an expert on liquor I barely know what half the things are in the store but the owner seemed to have a lot of gluten-free customers and said many report getting sick with certain wines or "wine like drinks" (he said anything made in a day and not aged isn't wine haha referring to my arbor mist question) and he saw some consistency in the complaints of real wines making him wonder if some have contamination issues.  

#14 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

I thought wine was Gluten Free but now I'm starting to wonder....I drink White Zinfandel...has anyone ever had trouble with wine or does anyone know if that could effect your blood work levels????

Wine is gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#15 Mr. GF in Indiana

Mr. GF in Indiana

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

Some think many wines have gluten; if so, please note each batch of wine may vary in ppm. You can contact the manufacturer, or run your own elisa test. http://www.drvino.co...uten-free-wine/

This standard of 20 ppm of gluten as not showing symptoms of damage: is there really a safe limit, now that we know of the extent of neurologic and other "hidden" or "slowly accreting" health problems? Has anyone actually experimented with a product certified 20 ppm, and if so, what happened? 100 ppm?

Hmmm...you know, if you folks who drink wine got together, you could do your own label of gluten free wine, called "celiac.com's finest".

Best Wishes!    Gary

Misdiagnosed 62 years; finally medically confirmed Celiac/prolamin 2010

No corn, wheat, rye, barley, oatmeal, sorghum; rice is tolerated.  Salicylate sensitive.

Vitamin D and B deficiency, thyroid deficiency, bleeding disorder (all improving slowly).

Neurologically disabled, retired attorney.

Only you can take care of you; random advice from someone on the internet does not substitute for your own doctor!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: