14 replies to this topic

#1 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

Does anyone know if Laura Lynn self-raising corn meal is gluten-free?
When I bought it I read several labels. It is not a mix it's just cornmeal. Others all had Allergy statements about wheat. This one has no statement. Ingredients include:
Enriched White Corn Meal (Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid) Salt, Leavening (Monocalcium Phosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate).

I really want to eat cornbread tonight, but haven't been able to find an answer....
Vegan, Gluten Free diet, sensitivity to onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 karichelle

karichelle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:15 PM

My main concern with a cornmeal not labeled gluten-free would be the possibility of it being made on a shared line, which I don't think the manufacturer is required to disclose. That's probably why the others had allergy statements involving wheat.

#3 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

That's what I thought too but even some of the other brands that weren't mixes would have an allergy statement. I tried to call Corporate and got transferred twice and ended with leaving a voice message, we'll see if they ever get back to me :-/

#4 karichelle

karichelle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:57 AM

Right, the cornmeal can still be milled or packaged on the same equipment that wheat or a mix containing wheat was previously packaged on, which would be the reason for the allergy statement. But as I understand it, a statement for a shared line is not required, so it's possible it could be made on a shared line and not stated on the package.

Bob's Red Mill makes cornmeal -- Laura Lynn is Ingles brand and my mom finds quite a bit of BRM stuff at Ingles.

#5 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:59 AM

Yeah, they have BRM products this was $3 cheaper so I was hoping :-/ guess if I don't get response back( not holding my breath) ill donate it or something.

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:16 AM

It could be just  fine, but I am in the camp of those who prefer to know how it was packaged 

and I do not consume anything made in shared facilities that process wheat (just my personal preference)

and I have had no issues with BRM G F products at all.

I also like nuts.com certified G F products, if you want to take a look at their website

excellent, large selection of G F goodies, flours, nuts, seeds.

(I am not affiliated with the company; I just like their stuff :D ) although I do not like their 

shipping prices that much. Everything is fresh and delicious and they give you free treats and it arrives

very quickly, so I get over that shipping thing pretty fast LOL

http://www.nuts.com/...ng/grains/corn/

Just a suggestion. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

Thank you for sharing I will check it out. I don't buy things that state it's been used on shared equipment, Karichelle just enlightened me on the fact that they don't have to put that on the package :-/ (Thank you btw i didnt know that) I have been just getting products advertised as gluten-free. I've heard they aren't always gluten-free either and some things are but arent labeled as so.... It does kinda make my brain hurt. I'm still pretty new to this. Just tried eating out for the first time last weekend and after posting about it kinda felt like I stabbed my fellow GFers in back some how by choosing Applebees's. (sigh)
I'm trying I just don't know all the rules yet...

#8 karichelle

karichelle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

I don't think you stabbed anyone in the back by choosing Applebee's...you are learning and you learned something there, no? That's what matters. :)

#9 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

For sure, just because a restaurant has a gluten-free menu doesn't mean they know what they are doing! They didn't treat Elijah and I like outcasts but weren't educated on how to handle safely serving us :-/

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

oh honey, there is no "playbook" for this, really and often, we get bitten on the behind a few times while learning. Chin up! ;)

I do not know a single GeeEffer who has not been hit a few times.

I  am leery of many chain places.... however, I have had good luck at Bonefish Grill and many celiacs I know swear by Outback, Chipotle and

Carrabba's..

I tend to choose certified G F products (with the black circle on it?) but many companies are good about divulging "shared facility" info.

Because of food labeling laws, we are a lot better off (of course, wheat will be listed, but what about that pesky rye and barley--well, that takes keen eyeballs )

and fingers crossed, soon the gluten-free labeling law will be passed. 

http://thehill.com/b...-to-white-house

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#11 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

Thank you so much! I really needed that! I think there is a Bonefish Grill around the same area as Applebee's and an Out Back. I actually prefer to eat at home, maybe one day ill get more comfortable with it, but I have to find my confidence again.

*Crossing Fingers*

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

I wholeheartedly recommend Bonefish on here and on Find Me Gluten Free.

They "get it". hugs, IH

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#13 karichelle

karichelle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

I have the best luck when I find local places with gluten free menus or menu items. They're the ones that get it better than the chains. I think it's probably because it's hard for a chain with a few thousand locations to maintain a consistent level of quality and service, especially when it comes to something like a gluten free menu. One location might do an awesome job, while another might have a kitchen staff that just doesn't care or doesn't know what they are doing, and therefore do a very poor job.

With a small, one location establishment (or a small local chain) it is MUCH easier for the owner to maintain control. The gluten free menus at these places were put there for a reason, and the owner is right there and really cares about making sure everything is executed properly. Not to say there can't be missteps there as well, but I seem to have the best luck with local places and I believe this is why -- easier quality control from the person whose livelihood is on the line if the restaurant fails.

#14 CommonTater

CommonTater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

We order our grits and corn meal and rice from a family owned mill that handles NO wheat. All the mixes are wheat free and all products are bagged in a wheat free facility! By the way, the hush puppy mix is the best we've ever had! It makes light, fluffy, soft hush puppies.

http://palmettofarms.com/

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

#15 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

Ingles has a RD on staff who is very responsive and can likely answer your question.  I've never not gotten a reply from her.

http://www.ingles-ma...s.com/ask_leah/

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: