This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mrs. Dash Table Blend?

JynGann

JynGann Newbie

I have had an outbreak and was wondering if anyone has reacted to Mrs. Dash Table Blend? I cannot pinpoint one thing I've eaten today that could have gluten in it.

Breakfast: Morning Smoothie all fruits and vegtables

Lunch:       Butterfinger (I know, terrible but busy day)

Dinner:       Hamburger Patty with Mrs. Dash Table Blend (first time using it), Salad (romaine lettuce, spinach blend, real bacon bits, Ken's Country French Dressing) and Corn Chips

About an hour ago I woke up with an outbreak behind each knee, my lower stomach and left hand. Just looking for any insight as I am puzzled.

Thanks,

Jyn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

Open Original Shared Link

The best way to know is to read the label. Unless the label says it has gluten, it doesn't. As far as the list of ingredients for that product on the website, it lists no gluten ingredients. (As none of the shakers do, unless I am mistaken because it is late.) But, as the faqs state, the label is always going to be more accurate than the website.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

You may need to try suspect items one by one to figure out which one caused the outbreak.  I hope the itching stops soon.  I am very sensitive and stick mainly to produce and pasture raised dairy products.

squirmingitch Veteran

Jyn, you need to remember that dh can present at any time for 2 yrs. or more even after going strict gluten-free. This is why dh is so vexing. How does one determine if it was food or simply a spontaneous outbreak? This is why my hubs & I will not eat anything that is produced on shared line, will not eat out, will only eat cert. gluten-free foods. This is how we keep from going crazy trying to figure out where the cc came from OR if it was spontaneous. The mental effects of this can be horrendous.

So, in short, in may or may not have been something you ate. And IF it was something you ate; it may have been the day before. It will screw your brain up & that's for sure!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I'd keep a food and activity diary. I've found viruses break me out, as well as starting increased t3 mess for me thyroid (along with a strenuous massage). In short - I changed things in my body and the rash was a protest.

It isn't always food.

kareng Grand Master

Seems like Mrs Dash used to say gluten-free on it?  Maybe they have changed as they wait to see what the law that may or may not get passed says.

JynGann Newbie

Thank you all for your responses. I did check the Mrs. Dash website before I bought it and it does say it is gluten free, however, I know that even with gluten free some still react so was just wondering if others had a similar occurrence.

Overall I am still feeling much better and even with the new outbreaks my skin is doing so much better.

I went to a birthday party on Sunday but brought all my own food with me but often when I am around a lot of people within a few days I become sick so the virus thing might play a role. I'll just keep being vigilant about what I eat and continue with my food diary to see if I see a trend.

THANKS!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JynGann Newbie

Jyn, you need to remember that dh can present at any time for 2 yrs. or more even after going strict gluten-free. This is why dh is so vexing. How does one determine if it was food or simply a spontaneous outbreak? This is why my hubs & I will not eat anything that is produced on shared line, will not eat out, will only eat cert. gluten-free foods. This is how we keep from going crazy trying to figure out where the cc came from OR if it was spontaneous. The mental effects of this can be horrendous.

So, in short, in may or may not have been something you ate. And IF it was something you ate; it may have been the day before. It will screw your brain up & that's for sure!

BTW I love your screen name, lol. Thanks so much for your reply. I was so puzzled last night with so many things being a trigger it is indeed vexing. I haven't dared to eat out anywhere and I know it will be a long time if ever that I do. Right now I only trust myself to make my food.

kareng Grand Master

Maybe you could give her some info about iodine and DH. Maybe she needs to watch that for a while?

squirmingitch Veteran

I'm sure she was on another thread where we talked about it but it never hurts to repeat & remind. Thanks Karen.

Iodine can make the dh flare horribly for most of us so you can try going low iodine & see what happens. The low iodine diet can be found @ Open Original Shared Link

Of course you will have leave out the gluten foods as thyroid cancer patients aren't necessarily celiac.

Jyn, my screen name took zero thought. When I was registering for the site & I needed to come up with a screen name, I sat there squirming & itching --- thus squirmingitch. However; it's a name I will be elated to loose one day! Perhaps then I will change it (like Prince did) to "The member formerly known as squirmingitch". :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

kareng Grand Master

I'm sure she was on another thread where we talked about it but it never hurts to repeat & remind. Thanks Karen.

Iodine can make the dh flare horribly for most of us so you can try going low iodine & see what happens. The low iodine diet can be found @ Open Original Shared Link

Of course you will have leave out the gluten foods as thyroid cancer patients aren't necessarily celiac.

Jyn, my screen name took zero thought. When I was registering for the site & I needed to come up with a screen name, I sat there squirming & itching --- thus squirmingitch. However; it's a name I will be elated to loose one day! Perhaps then I will change it (like Prince did) to "The member formerly known as squirmingitch". :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I don't have DH and reading the DH threads makes me itch!  I don't know who you have helped on here.  I'll have to see if we can extend the number of letters in our screen names to fit "The member formerly known as squirmingitch:D

squirmingitch Veteran

I don't have DH and reading the DH threads makes me itch!  I don't know who you have helped on here.  I'll have to see if we can extend the number of letters in our screen names to fit "The member formerly known as squirmingitch:D

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

JynGann Newbie

Yes, you did warn me about iodine. I don't think I have a reaction to it but I did cut way back on yogurt and stopped using table salt (therefore the Mrs. Dash.) I do not eat a lot of dairy besides yogurt and an occasional bowl of ice cream. I was eating at least a cup of yogurt a day often more so I cut back just to see if I notice a difference.

On a new subject. When I went shopping yesterday I very nearly had a meltdown after about the 10th thing I picked up had gluten ingredients or a wheat warning. (Chicken Bouillon, really) I know I am still very new to this but I thought I was past this stage already, Guess not. My bf must have noticed even though I was trying to hide it from him so he made a special trip on his lunch break to bring me The Raw Flying Cupcake goodies (they are vegan and gluten free). The brownie was amazing and I'm saving the cupcake for tomorrow. 

squirmingitch Veteran

It's been a while now since I had one of those meltdowns Jyn but I do remember them all too well. I remember having them hit me out of the blue after not having had one for a month & then wham! you're in the store & you just want to slide down to a sitting position & bawl out loud. ((((((JYN))))))))

Your bf sounds like a great guy so keep him around for a while. :D

BTW, Herb Ox bouillon is gluten free & says so right on the label. Both the chicken & the beef so now you can have bouillon hon.

kareng Grand Master

Yes, you did warn me about iodine. I don't think I have a reaction to it but I did cut way back on yogurt and stopped using table salt (therefore the Mrs. Dash.) I do not eat a lot of dairy besides yogurt and an occasional bowl of ice cream. I was eating at least a cup of yogurt a day often more so I cut back just to see if I notice a difference.

On a new subject. When I went shopping yesterday I very nearly had a meltdown after about the 10th thing I picked up had gluten ingredients or a wheat warning. (Chicken Bouillon, really) I know I am still very new to this but I thought I was past this stage already, Guess not. My bf must have noticed even though I was trying to hide it from him so he made a special trip on his lunch break to bring me The Raw Flying Cupcake goodies (they are vegan and gluten free). The brownie was amazing and I'm saving the cupcake for tomorrow. 

I wish we could go to the store with you.  Would be helpful to have someone steer you in the correct direction the first few times you go to the store.  Show you what almost never has gluten,  what almost always has it. You will get it soon.  But you can never just pick something up without glancing to make sure the ingredients are the same.

Do you have a reference for a study for that 2 year thing?  I've heard that a lot but never seen the evidence.  Thank you

squirmingitch Veteran
Open Original Shared Link 1995 Jun;9(2):371-93.
Dermatitis herpetiformis.
Open Original Shared Link.
Source

Dermatology Department, St. Mary's Hospital, London, UK.

Abstract

Dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) is a relatively rare skin disorder with an estimated incidence of 1:10,000 in the UK. It is characterized by urticarial plaques and blisters on the elbows, buttocks, and knees, although other sites may also be involved. The eruption tends to be persistent: only 10-15% of patients have spontaneous remission over a 25-year study period. The disease is characterized by the presence of IgA deposits in the upper dermis of uninvolved skin and the diagnosis should not be made in the absence of these deposits. Two-thirds of patients have a small intestinal enteropathy with villous atrophy as seen in coeliac disease (celiac disease). However, the remaining third also show evidence of a gluten sensitivity in the intestine, as judged by increased lymphocytic infiltration of the epithelium. Villous atrophy also ensues after gluten challenge in those patients with previous normal villous architecture. The initial treatment of the rash is with one of the following three drugs, dapsone, sulphapyridine or sulphamethoxypyridazine. However, the rash also clears with gluten withdrawal. It must be stressed, however, that the average time to achieve significant reduction in drug requirements is 6 months and it can be over 2 years before drugs are no longer required. On re-introduction of gluten the eruption recurs. Patients with DH have a high incidence of auto-immune disorders, thyroid disease, pernicious anaemia, and insulin-dependent diabetes, and should be screened for those diseases on a yearly basis. As with coeliac disease there is also an increased incidence of lymphoma and a gluten-free diet appears to protect patients from this complication. The mechanism by which gluten causes the skin lesions has still to be elucidated, but current investigations implicate lymphocytes and cytokines in the pathogenesis. The original hypothesis of an antigen-antibody reaction in the skin with complement activation causing the skin lesions, may not be correct.

PMD         7549032   [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Open Original Shared Link Even taking Dapsone; one has to stay on it for 2 years before it can be withdrawn.

squirmingitch Veteran

Steph, I will apologize for those references b/c they are not the best I have. I have better. They are all in my bookmarks which I have not organized. It will take me a lot of hunting to find the proper ones. And I'm having a great deal of trouble @ the computer right now. I was messing with the A/C handler & had to get into a contorted, twisted position on my back with my neck crooked & reach way up with my arms --- consequently my right shoulder hasn't worked for 3 days --- very painful & having dh i can't take anything but Tylenol & that in limited amounts. Sp please bear with me & I will hunt them up when I'm feeling better. As long as I remember to!  :D You can pm me a reminder & then I will be sure to remember.

That explains it.  I noticed that the first three items were the same thing.  Though they say that it can take 2 years for it to clear up, I don't know that I would interpret that study the same way that you did.  It also says this: "On re-introduction of gluten the eruption recurs."

SquirmingItch, I'm sorry about your pain.  I hope you feel better soon.  I noticed that the reference you gave was from 1995.  I found "Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of dermatitis herpetiformis" from 2009 that may be in those bookmarks you can't find right now.  It gives that 2 year statement too: "GFD alleviates gastrointestinal symptoms much more rapidly than the rash: it takes an average of 2 years of GFD for complete elimination of the cutaneous lesions, which invariably recurs within 12 weeks after the reintroduction of gluten"

My interpretation of this would be that it might take as long as 2 years to go away, but once gone, if it comes back, you have probably accidentally ingested some gluten.  This seems to be the case with my son.  Of course, that is something that should be discussed with a knowledgeable doctor.

SquirmingItch, I'm sorry about your pain. I hope you feel better soon. I noticed that the reference you gave was from 1995. I found "Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of dermatitis herpetiformis" from 2009 that may be in those bookmarks you can't find right now. It gives that 2 year statement too: "GFD alleviates gastrointestinal symptoms much more rapidly than the rash: it takes an average of 2 years of GFD for complete elimination of the cutaneous lesions, which invariably recurs within 12 weeks after the reintroduction of gluten"

My interpretation of this would be that it might take as long as 2 years to go away, but once gone, if it comes back, you have probably accidentally ingested some gluten. This seems to be the case with my son. Of course, that is something that should be discussed with a knowledgeable doctor.

Ok, I'm losing my mind and obviously didn't bookmark it...but I read something (medical) the other day about how dh outbreaks may not be so tied to antibodies. Yes, antibodies (from gluten) are present but they aren't the final determinant in a breakout. There's other involvement in the immune system/skin. Now I'll go nuts looking for it...

Anyway, it was the first GOOD ARTICLE I'd read about how someone, somewhere was admitting the current medical knowledge of dh is abysmal.

My point is that something other (or in addition to) gluten triggers the breakouts. It isn't JUST gluten exposure. Personally, I break out from a virus. Any virus. I'm hitting 2 years gluten-free, and I can tell you my breakouts are only 10% of the hellish rash they were 2 years ago (when they do happen) - but they do happen. Gluten exposure also isn't a dh trigger for me (knock on wood). Now, I haven't had a major glutening, either...but if I do get a virus after a few cc incidents (like my last outbreak a few months ago) I do notice a stronger outbreak.

I think the link was from tinpins posts in this thread....

tinpins Rookie

I've been following this discussion too and just spent a bit of time searching through some of the links I posted on my discussion thread without success.  Obviously something that I want to find out too. 

Squirmy ... get better soon  :wub:

I've been following this discussion too and just spent a bit of time searching through some of the links I posted on my discussion thread without success. Obviously something that I want to find out too.

Squirmy ... get better soon :wub:

Oops, your dh thread. It was either this sir OR in autoimmune mom. I'll check there later...

If you can find that good link to DH information, I would love to see it.

tinpins Rookie

Archived