92 replies to this topic

#1 LauraZ

LauraZ

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:36 PM

Over this past summer, both of my daughters and I have discovered we are gluten-intolerant, even though we all test negative for celiac disease. We all express our intolerance a little differently -- I through my skin, my youngest daughter through her energy level, and my oldest daughter through her gut.

Skin and energy level are fairly easy to continue with a regular life, but when my oldest gets "glutened," it will wipe her out for 2-3 days with stomach upset, maybe some diarrhea. We have been pretty good at avoiding everything, but there is an occasional slip-up.

I was wondering how other people react to getting glutened. I know there is probably a wide variety of responses. I'm just curious if the 2-3 day range of being out sick is about average. Also, if your stomach is affected, is there anything you do to help it? We've been using heat and Alka-Seltzer Gold (recommended by a nutritionist), which helps a little.

Thanks!
Laura
gluten-free 7/27/05

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 burdee

burdee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:51 PM

We discussed that question at our celiac support group meeting last night! My symptoms of being 'glutened' are both typical and atypical. I get bloating, gas and excruciating abdominal pain which feels like bits of broken glass are stuck in my intestines. I also get extreme fatigue, but that's easier to handle (with rest) than those excruciating pains. I drink very strong herbal peppermint tea to relax the cramping pains, take hot showers directing the water spray on painful area, or walk. My gluten symptoms can last 7-10 days even after the initial contamination. 2-4 hours after I eat anything I feel pain in the damaged areas. Fortunately I have not been 'glutened' for over a year. My most recent contamination was from dairy (I also have casein and soy intolerances) 2 months ago. You might also enjoy reading the topic "100 (or more) things to do when you're glutened".
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#3 Drew

Drew

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:20 PM

I was wondering how other people react to getting glutened.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi there. This is sort of a fun question to answer since no one else really wants to hear about this stuff haha.

My symtpoms from gluten contamination are: Searing ( burning ) gut pains, sharp twinges in the gut, pain in the joints, back pain, extreme fatigue, sores on my skin ( appearing that day or within 3 days ), grouchiness, D. I am sure I am forgetting some. This misery can last 3 days to a week or so depending on the level of poisoning.

My gluten-free ( diagnosed by Enterolab ) gets migraines, depression, lethargy, and some skin sores as well as D. Symptoms last a duration that is proportionate to the amount of gluten ingested. She has gotten 8+ days of migraines from one incident.

I hope this helps

#4 cornbread

cornbread

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:06 PM

From the tiniest amount of gluten or casein (I once got glutened after a beer drinker sipped from my wine glass!), I experience the following symptoms that now last about 5 days (used to be 2, then 3...)

- bloating
- acne on face/back/chest
- chronic fatigue (tripping over my feet, dropping things) that no amount of sleep will fix
- severe brain fog (can't hold a conversation, feel like I'm living in a bubble)
- depression
- irritability
- non-stop hunger and cravings for high carb things (as if my body is asking for gluten)
- excema on hands/feet
- waves of nausea

The brain fog/depression/irritability/fatigue lasts for a solid 5 days, the skin conditions take a few weeks to subside fully.
:rolleyes:

If I've had a bigger amount of gluten (ie: not cross-contamination, an actual dish that contained some gluten) then within about 10 mins of eating it my heart will begin racing, I will get severe stomach cramps and back ache, and I will feel like I can't get a full lungful of air, like someone is crushing me in a vice grip! Thankfully these days I only usually get glutened via cross-contamination, which *usually* doesn't trigger the stomach problems. Never the less, I am pretty much useless for those 5 days. Plus I try and stay out of people's way cos I am soooo irritable!! ;) :lol:

#5 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:12 AM

constipation, brain fog, severe fatigue, muscle pain --can last for a few days or two weeks, depending...
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#6 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:35 AM

I am very sensitive to the smallest amount and I feel it right away.
My reactions usually last 2 weeks but I am usually about 3 weeks to a month before really getting back to 100% again.
The 7th day is usually when I feel the worst..I'm not sure why.
My symptoms are: nausea, anxiety, fatigue, weight loss, irritability, constipation, depression, brain fog..there are some other minor symptoms as well but I think I pretty much covered the main symptoms. Some are usually worse than others.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:39 AM

If I accidently ingest gluten,I get frequent (3-4 times a day) D, nausea, bloating ,fatigue and just generally dont feel right for about 5 days. Lately, I'm reacting to corn with bloating and indigestion for 1 day or so. I also react to soy, dairy and legumes--these have become a problen since I've been gluten-free.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 gabby

gabby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 07:10 AM

As soon as I have gluten, my stomach feels like I've eaten an entire horse and I feel extraordinarily full. My stomach starts rumbling and I will feel like I want to jump out of my skin. Within the hour I get a feeling like someone has hit me across the midsection with a big flat metal shovel. Then the cramping begins, followed by bloating, gas, and sharp pains that feel like I'm being stung inside by angry bees. I also get that feeling like there's broken glass pinching me in there.

Over the next few days I get tired, achy, sore throat, headache, really sore hips, and my skin feels like it is really sunburned. I also get some acne on my face. The mix of D and constipation wears me out. I lose my appetite and lose weight. I'm a grouchy grouchy person and I sleep a lot.

It usually takes about 10 days to clear up, but I don't feel like myself for about 3 weeks.

During this time I stay away from dairy products and any sort of stimulants. I usually have very weak tea and eat a very strict and simple diet of a handful of foods that I am SURE are gluten-free (usually baked chicken with a steamed veg).

I allow myself 2 days to feel sorry for myself, and then I do not talk about or complain about it to anyone (except here :)

#9 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 07:20 AM

My symptoms usually start within about 20-30 min.

#10 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:39 PM

My symptoms usually last from a few days up to 2 weeks. I think it depends on how much gluten I have.
These are my symptoms:
-fluid retention
-fatigue
-depression/crying/irritablity/super overly emotional
-brainfog
-weight loss
-increased food sensitivities/chemicals
-burning/tingling sensations
-muscle/joint pains
-burning or blurry eyes
-headaches
-sometimes I get rashes or skin eruptions
-constipation
Rachel

#11 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:46 PM

Also, if your stomach is affected, is there anything you do to help it? We've been using heat and Alka-Seltzer Gold (recommended by a nutritionist), which helps a little.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aloe juice. It's gross and snotlike, but damn does it ever work. I can't believe I lived without it for so long.

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

#12 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:50 PM

-headache
-sleepiness
-painful bloating and gas
-sharp stomach pains
-nausea
-diarreah
-extreme moodiness - depression, crabbiness, anxiety
-heartburn
-DH breakouts
-aches and pains

The intersting thing is that I seem to get a different combination of symptoms ever time. It lasts anywhere from 2-3 days to a week or more, but the DH breakouts last much longer (I take medication for that now that keeps it under control).

Carolyn

- Hunter S. Thompson

#13 LauraZ

LauraZ

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 01:46 PM

Aloe juice. It's gross and snotlike, but damn does it ever work. I can't believe I lived without it for so long.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks so much! I'm going to go get some right now.
gluten-free 7/27/05

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

#14 Kasey'sMom

Kasey'sMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 01:57 PM

Carolyn,
I find that Aloe helps to soothe my tummy as well. I've been using George's Always Active Aloe Juice. I find it at the health food store and it tastes and looks like water. What kind do you use? :)

#15 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 02:12 PM

Carolyn,
I find that Aloe helps to soothe my tummy as well. I've been using George's Always Active Aloe Juice. I find it at the health food store and it tastes and looks like water. What kind do you use? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure of the brand, I'd have to look at the bottle. I only tried it for the first time a couple of days ago, and I was so impressed.

The stuff I have definitely doesn't look or taste like water! It has a really nasty cran-apple flavor to it, and it's thick and slimy with chunks (pulp?) in it. Ew.

Carolyn

- Hunter S. Thompson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: