This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Are Your "glutened" Symptoms?

LauraZ

brit-nik Newbie

for two days after the slip up no matter how small it is, i experience:

heart burn

brain fog

diarhea every 15-20 minutes

stabbing pain in my gut

fatigue

nasea

fever

miagraine

joint pain

sweats

britt

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lynayah Enthusiast

Even if I eat a small amount of low calorie, low fat food, if there's gluten in it, I feel bloated and I get the same feeling I get when I overeat -- similar to that "uh-oh, I feel like I'm putting on weight" feeling that I get when I blow it on a weight loss diet.

Stuffy, hot, cranky, tired. Sometimes my nose runs. I will feel a slight heavy pressure in my forehead and in the sinus area under my eyes. Also, I get loose stools very quickly, often incontenence. If I eat gluten before bedtime, I will wake in the middle of the night feeling stuffed and hot. No fun.

When I saw the doc last week, she asked me if I am prone to sinus infections, which I am. Not sure why she asked or if sinus infections are common for those with gluten-intolorance. I'll have to ask her next time.

Something interesting is happening to me right now, and I've posted it under another topic (Gluten Challenge: Symptoms Improve?), but I thought it might be worth mentioning it here as well. I've had to do a gluten challenge for the past 6-8 weeks, and just over the last few days, my loose bowel symptoms have lessened, and in the last 24 hours, I've gone from having D to barely having bowl movements at all, even though the doc has me on a laxitive. This is so weird! I'm not sure what to make of it.

I wonder your body starts to readjust in an effort to . . . well . . . adjust! :lol:

Oh, and when I eat gluten, I also get more body aches and numbness in arms and sometimes legs. Feet and hips hurt.

JillianLindsay Enthusiast

Hi Lynayah,

I also used to get chronic sinus infections and when I get glutened I feel pressure in my sinuses again.

I also get joint pain and my tendonitis acts up (knees & achilles teondons).

I've seen others mention sinus problems when glutened (or pre-dx) so perhaps there is a link! Worth checking out.

Jillian

When I saw the doc last week, she asked me if I am prone to sinus infections, which I am. Not sure why she asked or if sinus infections are common for those with gluten-intolorance. I'll have to ask her next time.

Oh, and when I eat gluten, I also get more body aches and numbness in arms and sometimes legs. Feet and hips hurt.

Lynayah Enthusiast
Hi Lynayah,

I also used to get chronic sinus infections and when I get glutened I feel pressure in my sinuses again.

I've seen others mention sinus problems when glutened (or pre-dx) so perhaps there is a link! Worth checking out.

Jillian

Jillian, thank you! I hope others with sinus infections will post their thoughs. I am so glad to know I am not alone.

ben-s Newbie

hi,

this would be my first post on the forum,

it was a visit to a doctor in late 2008 that he considered the possibility of gluten intolerance based on symptoms and also, following a thorough blood test, determining that my body was fighting something, but i can't be too sure of the details now.

anyway, i have been pretty good about avoiding direct ingestion of gluten/wheat by avoiding bread, wheat flour products etc.

occasionally i have minor symptoms as a result of soy sauce ingestion which results in a bloated feeling or, at most, head pressure.

in the last month or so i have had recurring issues with Sinus.. i'm not sure if it is a development of Chronic Sinusitis (particularly as a result of cold weather), in the same way that the symptoms of Gluten issues developed over time.. i have been using a nostril spray to clear the Sinus but it doesn't always help.. i'm considering looking into over the counter medicines and also other alternatives to relieve it.. side from the head/face pressure, nostrils are also blocked which gives me a very 'stuffy' feeling

if i digest wheat directly by eating bread or pasta without checking the ingredients properly, as i stupidly did a few weeks ago, then the symptoms are much more serious, which is the pressure in my face and head (Sinus), bloating, and the other recurrent symptom i get is muscular pain, especially in my rib areas, sometimes alternating sides.. this is the main symptom which i went to see my doctor about that he suggested the gluten intolerance as a response to.. these symptoms may start anywhere from immediately to almost a day after ingestion and take anywhere between about 2 weeks to a month to recover from.

the way i treat the symptoms in the meantime is to drink peppermint tea, take the aforementioned spray for the sinus, take a laxative or IBS related medication (i.e for abdominal blaoting, cramps etc) in the event of serious indigestion, and i use heat plaster/bandages for the muscle pain which gives invaluable relief especially when i am going out

apologies for the long post but please accept these message also as an informal introduction about my own case with gluten intolerance/coeliac

regards,

Ben

glutefree Rookie
As soon as I have gluten, my stomach feels like I've eaten an entire horse and I feel extraordinarily full. My stomach starts rumbling and I will feel like I want to jump out of my skin. Within the hour I get a feeling like someone has hit me across the midsection with a big flat metal shovel. Then the cramping begins, followed by bloating, gas, and sharp pains that feel like I'm being stung inside by angry bees. I also get that feeling like there's broken glass pinching me in there.

Over the next few days I get tired, achy, sore throat, headache, really sore hips, and my skin feels like it is really sunburned. I also get some acne on my face. The mix of D and constipation wears me out. I lose my appetite and lose weight. I'm a grouchy grouchy person and I sleep a lot.

It usually takes about 10 days to clear up, but I don't feel like myself for about 3 weeks.

During this time I stay away from dairy products and any sort of stimulants. I usually have very weak tea and eat a very strict and simple diet of a handful of foods that I am SURE are gluten-free (usually baked chicken with a steamed veg).

I allow myself 2 days to feel sorry for myself, and then I do not talk about or complain about it to anyone (except here :)

Thank you for your reply here, it makes me feel much better. I try not to feel sorry for myself because I know my husband doesn't want to hear about it all of the time, but it is so hard. When I am glutened I feel so sick and weak that I can't take care of the house or the kids the way I normally do. Sometimes I feel like I am dying because I feel like I am withering away because everything seems to go in one end and right back out the other. It makes me realize how serious celiac disease really is.

Lynayah Enthusiast
Hi Lynayah,

Jillian

Just wanted to say again: I am so glad you posted this! Now that my biopsy is over (still waiting for results), I'm eating gluten free again, and I am excited to see if it will help my sinus problems, too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lynayah Enthusiast
hi,

it was a visit to a doctor in late 2008 that he considered the possibility of gluten intolerance based on symptoms and also, following a thorough blood test, determining that my body was fighting something, but i can't be too sure of the details now.

anyway, i have been pretty good about avoiding direct ingestion of gluten/wheat by avoiding bread, wheat flour products etc.

occasionally i have minor symptoms as a result of soy sauce ingestion which results in a bloated feeling or, at most, head pressure.

in the last month or so i have had recurring issues with Sinus.. i'm not sure if it is a development of Chronic Sinusitis (particularly as a result of cold weather), in the same way that the symptoms of Gluten issues developed over time.. i have been using a nostril spray to clear the Sinus but it doesn't always help.. i'm considering looking into over the counter medicines and also other alternatives to relieve it.. side from the head/face pressure, nostrils are also blocked which gives me a very 'stuffy' feeling

if i digest wheat directly by eating bread or pasta without checking the ingredients properly, as i stupidly did a few weeks ago, then the symptoms are much more serious, which is the pressure in my face and head (Sinus), bloating, and the other recurrent symptom i get is muscular pain, especially in my rib areas, sometimes alternating sides.. this is the main symptom which i went to see my doctor about that he suggested the gluten intolerance as a response to.. these symptoms may start anywhere from immediately to almost a day after ingestion and take anywhere between about 2 weeks to a month to recover from.

the way i treat the symptoms in the meantime is to drink peppermint tea, take the aforementioned spray for the sinus, take a laxative or IBS related medication (i.e for abdominal blaoting, cramps etc) in the event of serious indigestion, and i use heat plaster/bandages for the muscle pain which gives invaluable relief especially when i am going out

apologies for the long post but please accept these message also as an informal introduction about my own case with gluten intolerance/coeliac

regards,

Ben

Welcome to the forum, Ben. Before you know it, you'll be posting like crazy. :lol:

Are you seeking further medical advice? Not sure, but it sounds as though you may need to talk to someone who knows enough about Celiac and gluten-intolorance to really help you.

Also, it really helped me when I went to the library and read books about Celiac and gluten-free. I was eating a lot of foods that had gluten, and I didn't know it. Soy sauce being one of them. It sounds as though you've figured that one out (better than I did!), but there is so very much to learn.

It took me forever before I went to a doc that specialized in Celiac, and I wish like heck I had gone sooner.

JillianLindsay Enthusiast

You're welcome :) I hope you have a positive response on the diet and that the biopsy can answer some questions for you.

Good luck,

Jillian

Just wanted to say again: I am so glad you posted this! Now that my biopsy is over (still waiting for results), I'm eating gluten free again, and I am excited to see if it will help my sinus problems, too.
ben-s Newbie
Welcome to the forum, Ben. Before you know it, you'll be posting like crazy. :lol:

Are you seeking further medical advice? Not sure, but it sounds as though you may need to talk to someone who knows enough about Celiac and gluten-intolorance to really help you.

Also, it really helped me when I went to the library and read books about Celiac and gluten-free. I was eating a lot of foods that had gluten, and I didn't know it. Soy sauce being one of them. It sounds as though you've figured that one out (better than I did!), but there is so very much to learn.

It took me forever before I went to a doc that specialized in Celiac, and I wish like heck I had gone sooner.

Thanks for your response.

In this instance, my post was not seeking information; I was just offering some thoughts in response to others in this thread who identified Sinus issues.

The long story I posted after that was because I didn't find any thread for member introductions so thought I'd just put it all here, and refer back to it if need be.

• 1 year later...
Cinnamongirl Rookie

I know this is an old thread, but I was searching for symptoms of being "glutened" and came across it. It was comforting to read the experiences that others have and to see that I'm not crazy. I was diagnosed with gluten sensitivity (Enterolab) about a year ago and have tried to live gluten free since then, but no one else in my family has problems with gluten, so I buy them wheat bread and sometimes bake with wheat flour. Yesterday I decided to make Christmas cookies for an event with wheat flour and I ingested some dough (my mistake..I did it without thinking) and sure enough I started feeling symptoms afterwards. I had a rapid pulse for about an hour and then had to eliminate several times. My belly bloated up and I got "brain fog". Couldn't concentrate and knew my day was basically ruined. I'm still bloated today, but don't have the brain fog for which I am thankful.

By the way, I was just coming off a brown rice cleanse (ate only brown rice, vegetables and fruits for five days) and was feeling mostly very good during the cleanse. I was wondering if I might have other sensitivites (dairy, eggs, corn, etc.) since I still have a lot of ups and downs. Don't know whether to attribute my ups and downs to accidental gluten, other food sensitivities or hormones.

-Cinnamongirl

catarific Contributor

My symptoms are mainly diarrhea, stomach gurgling, stomach ache (until I go to the bathroom) and sometime nausea. All of mine seem to be digestive related.

Loey Rising Star

I'm not sure of the brand, I'd have to look at the bottle. I only tried it for the first time a couple of days ago, and I was so impressed.

The stuff I have definitely doesn't look or taste like water! It has a really nasty cran-apple flavor to it, and it's thick and slimy with chunks (pulp?) in it. Ew.

[/quote

I am definitely getting some at the Health Food Store tomorrow!!!!! I've been in constant pain for three months now and it's a combination of Celiac, an ulcer and IBS. I also plan on getting a new GI. I know that I'm being extremely careful in what eat because I'm following the elimination diet.

Loey

Loey Rising Star

hi,

regards,

Ben

No apologies are ever needed here. If anyone understands the need to vent it's us. I just joined the forum this October and it's the most amazing group of people you'll ever meet!

Loey

Loey Rising Star

I know this is an old thread, but I was searching for symptoms of being "glutened" and came across it. It was comforting to read the experiences that others have and to see that I'm not crazy. I was diagnosed with gluten sensitivity (Enterolab) about a year ago and have tried to live gluten free since then, but no one else in my family has problems with gluten, so I buy them wheat bread and sometimes bake with wheat flour. Yesterday I decided to make Christmas cookies for an event with wheat flour and I ingested some dough (my mistake..I did it without thinking) and sure enough I started feeling symptoms afterwards. I had a rapid pulse for about an hour and then had to eliminate several times. My belly bloated up and I got "brain fog". Couldn't concentrate and knew my day was basically ruined. I'm still bloated today, but don't have the brain fog for which I am thankful.

By the way, I was just coming off a brown rice cleanse (ate only brown rice, vegetables and fruits for five days) and was feeling mostly very good during the cleanse. I was wondering if I might have other sensitivites (dairy, eggs, corn, etc.) since I still have a lot of ups and downs. Don't know whether to attribute my ups and downs to accidental gluten, other food sensitivities or hormones.

-Cinnamongirl

Sometimes the old threads need to be reposted for us newbies. Welcome to you all!

Loey

AZGirl Rookie

I am new to all of this and had my first "glutening" happen yesterday. I have been gluten free for four months now and this was my first slip up. It was from "trace" amounts of wheat on craisens; won't make that mistake again.

Within the first 10 minutes my stomach bloated and started rumbling and making lots of noise followed by migraine, neck pain, brain fog and sudden extreme fatigue. A few hours later I had full-blown nausea, stomach pains, burping and gas, irritability and continued fatigue and brain fog (it was hard to drive home.) I couldn't sleep even though I was so tired because stomach cramps were so intense. Also, no appetite.

Next day: (today)

Constipation, blister on my tongue, nausea, heavy feeling in stomach, irritability, emotional, mild headache, mild neck pain, fatigue and sleepy. The worst of it today was my inability to focus on my work for more than a minute or 2 literally. I feel like I swallowed one of those very large pumice stones and it's making it's way through my intestines. :(

I use flat gingerale to help with the stomach issues and it seems to work.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent and I hope it helps in some way.

• 1 month later...
glutefree Rookie

I am new to all of this and had my first "glutening" happen yesterday. I have been gluten free for four months now and this was my first slip up. It was from "trace" amounts of wheat on craisens; won't make that mistake again.

Within the first 10 minutes my stomach bloated and started rumbling and making lots of noise followed by migraine, neck pain, brain fog and sudden extreme fatigue. A few hours later I had full-blown nausea, stomach pains, burping and gas, irritability and continued fatigue and brain fog (it was hard to drive home.) I couldn't sleep even though I was so tired because stomach cramps were so intense. Also, no appetite.

Next day: (today)

Constipation, blister on my tongue, nausea, heavy feeling in stomach, irritability, emotional, mild headache, mild neck pain, fatigue and sleepy. The worst of it today was my inability to focus on my work for more than a minute or 2 literally. I feel like I swallowed one of those very large pumice stones and it's making it's way through my intestines. :(

I use flat gingerale to help with the stomach issues and it seems to work.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent and I hope it helps in some way.

I eat craisins a lot. How did the wheat get onto the craisins?

SSpecialties Newbie

This is my first post. I always learn so much more about symptoms and problems about Celiac disease on forums than from my doctor! Sad. I have been diagnosed with C.disease for about 1 1/2 years. Once diagnosed, I have tried my utmost to go gluten-free, but as you all know, it has been a process. My symptoms of being "glutened" are as follows:

1. cramps

2. unable to think clearly. "Fog" is a good word.

3. panic feeling (might be from knowing what is coming!)

4. severe stomach pain. I can't stress the "severe" enough. When it first happened, I thought I was having a heart attack! The pain encompasses my whole body core. There is no escaping it, and it usually last from 4-6 hours of this intensity. Before I knew I had celiac, it took me to the emergency room a few times and once took 3 doses of morphine to calm it down! During this pain it is difficult to breath, can't take a full breath.

5. fatigue, drag self from point A to point B. Pulse drops very low. Last time was 45.

6. constipation that can last for weeks to a month, then will switch back to normal. I seldom have the diarrhea.

Thanks to everyone who posts here. I have learned so much!

• 2 weeks later...
scuzy Rookie

- Lots of D, maybe upwards to 5 to 6 times a day

- I break out on my scalp (and it's itchy) for a week or two

- A sharp side pain, possibly my kidneys, within one week of being glutened

- Hungry almost all the time, it's like I can't get enough food, yet I don't gain any weight (which is a good thing)

- Tired all the time

- Brain fog

- Clumsiness, broke my toe once by kicking the couch, and I drop a lot of stuff

- I think that's it...

NJNancymae Newbie

Hello. I am brand new here and at this very moment sick as a dog. I was advised by a knowledgable friend that I may have celiac. It seems that the only time I am not feeling sick is when I am not eating ... period. I am starting to realize that a lot of what has been posted here applies to me. I had rye toast not just today but yesterday as well...along with pancakes at a diner!!! Within minutes...as is normal to me...I began to get the pain in my abdomen that I know is going to result in painful bowel movements ... it's like no matter what I eat, I experience these symptoms. I also have an allergy to lactose..which I am discovering can be linked to celiac.

I am sitting here crying, feeling feverish and extremely nauseous...which prompted me to do some research. I am going to try to get a doctor appointment tomorrow to talk about the possibility of my having celiac.

I just wanted to reach out to see if others would be so kind as to respond to advise if this is what they experienced before they were diagnosed. Thanks. nancy mae

NJNancymae Newbie

Oh I forgot to mention that I was also diagnosed with diverticulitis.....was hospitalized for it in 2004.....not sure if anyone else has that in addition to their symptoms....just wanted to put it out there. Thanks for letting me share.

nm

Dixiebell Contributor

Welcome to the forum Nancymae.

I think it is a very good idea to go and get tested for celiac. Your symptoms sound like many here have had to deal with.

Celiac tests:

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA and IgG

Total IgA level

Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) Antibodies, IgA & IgG (this is a newer test)

While you are having blood drawn for celiac, you should also get your vitamin and minerals checked, low levels can be symptoms too.

NJNancymae Newbie

Hey Dixiebell....thank you for the info on what tests I should have. You can best believe I will have all of these done. Thank you for the assist!!!!!!! :)

Nancy Mae

michellern Rookie

I have recently been glutened twice in one week! Last Thursday and today. I experience headaches, bloating, fatigue, stomach pain, diarrhea, nausea, sometimes vomiting, brain fog and dizziness. It is not a bad dizziness, it just feels like I can't focus. I have not heard anyone else with the dizziness as a complaint. I also become very anxious during this time. This usually lasts 3-4 days for me.

I can immediately tell when I ingest gluten; I become tachycardic within 5-10 minutes after ingestion.

:unsure:

Michelle

AZGirl Rookie

I don't know if I ever replied to this so if you ever get it..... I bought cheap knock off Craisens from WalMart Market place; they dust them with "trace" amounts of wheat to keep them from sticking together. We usually buy the Ocean Spray kind so I never even checked the back of the bag.

I eat craisins a lot. How did the wheat get onto the craisins?

Archived