10 replies to this topic

#1 umsami

umsami

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

So, I picked up my first gluten-free flour at the store today, Bob's Red Mill.  Most of the gluten-free baking blogs I follow are very particular about which brand of flour to use with which recipe... and in looking them over, most like other products (Better Battter, King Arthur/Trader Joe's, Cup4Cup?)  better than Bob's. Bob's is mostly chickpeas as far as I can tell.

What something great you've made with it that I can feed my non-gluten-free family?

Brownies, cookies, muffins... what works best for this particular flour?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

Here's a link for Chocolate Mayo Cake:

http://glutenfreegod...mayonnaise.html

Make homemade buttercream frosting and your family might not know the difference.  

Be sure to sift the flour first.  It's dense and clumps.  I always add  Xanthan Gum about 1 tsp. as well.

My husband likes spice cake which masks the "gluten free" flour taste. 

Gluten Free Spice Cake

2 cups Gluten-Free Flour Mix (scant)
1 ½ cups sugar
1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
¼ cup margarine or butter, softened
¼ cup shortening
½ teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs

Walnuts & Raisins or chopped Apple

Added nuts and raisins to this recipe and baked as cupcakes.

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. Add buttermilk, margarine, shortening, and vanilla. Beat on low speed till combined then two minutes on high speed. Add eggs and beat two more minutes. Pour into a greased 9" x 13" baking pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Cool on a wire rack.  Its also great made into cupcakes and then freeze the extras to pull out for lunches.

I always make cupcakes because they freeze so well!  Plus, portion control!!!!

Enjoy!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

What else is on the package of Bob's?  Is it an AP blend?  I do a lot of baking and use many flours for different purposes. 

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:44 AM

My husband has been gluten-free for 12 years.  I'd bake his goodies and freeze them.  I bought Bob's as I used to be able to get it in bulk at my local Costco (alas, no more) and I have plenty of inventory (I've always kept my flour in the freezer).   Now, I have celiac disease, so once I use up my supply, I'd like to try other flours.  I do have a friend who's a baker and can get anything in bulk, but huge supplies of individual flours may be too much!  

I've made cobblers, muffins, and cookies.  With Bob's flour, plain cake/cookies are not best.  It's better to add flavors (e.g. spices) to hide the flour's flavor.  Maybe I won't know (or remember) eventually!  

Bought some Oreo type gluten-free cookies yesterday at Trader Joe's.  I'm going to crush the whole cookie and melted butter and line a spring form pan with them then layer with raspberry sherbet, crumbled gluten-free brownies & chocolate truffle sauce, and then vanilla ice cream for Father's Day!  Yum!  My guests will never suspect that's it's gluten-free!  (Ah, they will, since my hubby will be eating it (I've always been intolerant to milk).  

Maybe a flourless chocolate cake too!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 BridgetteIMcleod

BridgetteIMcleod

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

I find the Bob's Red Mill all purpose flour makes a really good banana bread or zucchini bread ( it is that time of year). Just don't forget the xanthan gum, 1 teaspoon should do.

#6 umsami

umsami

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

Here's a link for Chocolate Mayo Cake:

http://glutenfreegod...mayonnaise.html

Make homemade buttercream frosting and your family might not know the difference.  

Be sure to sift the flour first.  It's dense and clumps.  I always add  Xanthan Gum about 1 tsp. as well.

My husband likes spice cake which masks the "gluten free" flour taste. 

Gluten Free Spice Cake

2 cups Gluten-Free Flour Mix (scant)
1 ½ cups sugar
1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
¼ cup margarine or butter, softened
¼ cup shortening
½ teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs

Walnuts & Raisins or chopped Apple

Added nuts and raisins to this recipe and baked as cupcakes.

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. Add buttermilk, margarine, shortening, and vanilla. Beat on low speed till combined then two minutes on high speed. Add eggs and beat two more minutes. Pour into a greased 9" x 13" baking pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Cool on a wire rack.  Its also great made into cupcakes and then freeze the extras to pull out for lunches.

I always make cupcakes because they freeze so well!  Plus, portion control!!!!

Enjoy!

Thanks! These both sound delicious!  I bought some xanthan gum too.

What else is on the package of Bob's?  Is it an AP blend?  I do a lot of baking and use many flours for different purposes. 

Yes, it's supposed to be.  Called Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Flour.  Ingredients are garbanzo bean flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, white sorghum flour, and fava bean flour.  Mmmmm...beany. :)

My husband has been gluten-free for 12 years.  I'd bake his goodies and freeze them.  I bought Bob's as I used to be able to get it in bulk at my local Costco (alas, no more) and I have plenty of inventory (I've always kept my flour in the freezer).   Now, I have celiac disease, so once I use up my supply, I'd like to try other flours.  I do have a friend who's a baker and can get anything in bulk, but huge supplies of individual flours may be too much!  

I've made cobblers, muffins, and cookies.  With Bob's flour, plain cake/cookies are not best.  It's better to add flavors (e.g. spices) to hide the flour's flavor.  Maybe I won't know (or remember) eventually!  

Bought some Oreo type gluten-free cookies yesterday at Trader Joe's.  I'm going to crush the whole cookie and melted butter and line a spring form pan with them then layer with raspberry sherbet, crumbled gluten-free brownies & chocolate truffle sauce, and then vanilla ice cream for Father's Day!  Yum!  My guests will never suspect that's it's gluten-free!  (Ah, they will, since my hubby will be eating it (I've always been intolerant to milk).  

Maybe a flourless chocolate cake too!  

Trader Joe's has some wonderful products.  We bought the snickerdoodles and they didn't last two days. :)  I'll be sad if we move away from TJs.

I find the Bob's Red Mill all purpose flour makes a really good banana bread or zucchini bread ( it is that time of year). Just don't forget the xanthan gum, 1 teaspoon should do.

Oh! That's a great idea. I have three bananas that would make some yummy banana bread.

Thanks everybody!

#7 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:03 AM

https://www.google.c...71G5SONCWFi19SA

https://www.google.c...caqjsqa9mt1uWSw

https://www.google.c...fQjtKabZBrUgn9Q

#8 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

and one more recipe

http://www.celiac.co...h=1#entry695015

Edited by Simona19, 13 June 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#9 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

I edited the link in my second post because I made mistake with copy and paste. :unsure:

I also fixed all recipes.

#10 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

I've found Bob's has great recipes for their products. Check on their website.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#11 umsami

umsami

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

So, I made banana nut muffins using a recipe for banana nut bread from the BRM website with the flour and everybody loved it.  Nobody knew it was gluten-free even.  

Thanks everybody for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: