18 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

What patients are told, still mystifies me.  This is from a friend....

"Lisa, you are in worse shape than me if you have Celiac. i was heading in that direction and my doc told me if I didn't get off gluten that would probably be my final outcome. Basically, I was having an auto immune reaction to gluten. When I ate it I hurt all over...like rheumatoid (sp) arthritis. Gut also messed up all the time. Anyway..I could go on and on. Feeling so much better though."

...stupid doctor!
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

wow  :o

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

#3 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

What does that even mean?  :wacko:

What an idiot!

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:10 AM

:wacko: Ever want to grab a Doctor and shake him? Maybe make his brain rattle back into place. 

If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#5 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:43 AM

What patients are told, still mystifies me. This is from a friend....

"Lisa, you are in worse shape than me if you have Celiac. i was heading in that direction and my doc told me if I didn't get off gluten that would probably be my final outcome. Basically, I was having an auto immune reaction to gluten. When I ate it I hurt all over...like rheumatoid (sp) arthritis. Gut also messed up all the time. Anyway..I could go on and on. Feeling so much better though."

...stupid doctor!

This sounds like one of the new explanations about ncgi??? Have no idea if your friend went through traditional testing, but we read/hear explanations like this all the time on this board re: ncgi.

Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

This sounds like one of the new explanations about ncgi??? Have no idea if your friend went through traditional testing, but we read/hear explanations like this all the time on this board re: ncgi.

I do not know what test she has had and I will post them later if I find out.  But, as you all know Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance and Celiac Disease can rival each other in the level of severety of symptoms and damage.

Lisa

#7 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

I do not know what test she has had and I will post them later if I find out. But, as you all know Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance and Celiac Disease can rival each other in the level of severety of symptoms and damage.

I don't think anyone doubts the problems gluten can cause, and that symptoms are not diagnostic of one or the other...

My point is that the explanation sounds eerily familiar as an explanation of ncgi. What I hate about the explanation if ncgi (most of the time) is that it comes off as being "lesser" in the dietary requirements as well as effects - when really, studies have not been done and the medical community really doesn't know.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#8 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

I had a doctor tell me in passing that Celiac wasn't an autoimmune condition. I told him Celiac is the only autoimmune condition with a known trigger. He had to turn around in order to gather himself. It was a good day.
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

#9 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

Yep. I recently had a doctor tesll me celiac wasn't an autoimmune disease either, and then he gave me a pamphlet that discussed how eating papaya digestive aids would allow people to eat gluten again.... Uh huh. Riiiiiiight.  :blink:  :huh:  :rolleyes:

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

Yep. I recently had a doctor tesll me celiac wasn't an autoimmune disease either, and then he gave me a pamphlet that discussed how eating papaya digestive aids would allow people to eat gluten again.... Uh huh. Riiiiiiight.  :blink:  :huh:  :rolleyes:

A family member doctor said they are pressured all the time to push pharm's (within the law).  Just as a tire store are solicited to sell the best tires from various tire manufactures. It's just business.

I should have married a doctor.....OH, what a goodie bag I would have.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lisa

#11 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

:D LOL
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 surviormom

surviormom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:56 AM

So is that why the GI wants me on Prilosec and the GP wants me on Zantac, both want me on Gaviscon, and I just want Betaine and Slippery Elm.

When did it switch from healing people to money money money.  That is just wrong.

Gluten Free 2012 - Dairy Free 2012 - Acid Reflux Diet 2013

Chronic Gastritis 2013 - Peptic Duodenitis 2013 - Hiatal Hernia 2013 - C-Diff 2013 - Endometriosis 2013 - Uterine Fibroids 2013

Patellar Tendonitis 2013 - Arthritis 2014 - NCGI 2014 - Erosive Esophagitis 2014 - Barretts 2014

I have a long list of physical ailments that were being grouped into age/gender by doctors.

Began Gluten Free and Casein Free after an Allergy Test trying to find answers to health problems that the doctors just were not answering well enough. Looking back through history, I have a lifetime of allergies and gastro issues.

Learn from yesterday, Live for today, and Hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

#13 TGK112

TGK112

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

When I was first diagnosed my primary care dr told me, despite my bone loss "Celiac has nothing to do with osteoporosis".

After being on the diet, I had a follow up endoscopy. My GI told me that because I healed so quickly "You could treat yourself on occasion with a (gluten) treat"

I live in Seattle - anyone know of good doctors here?!?

#14 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:10 AM

So is that why the GI wants me on Prilosec and the GP wants me on Zantac, both want me on Gaviscon, and I just want Betaine and Slippery Elm.

When did it switch from healing people to money money money.  That is just wrong.

I've always wondered when the Hippocratic Oath became the hypocritical oath.

If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#15 GlutenStinks15

GlutenStinks15

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

Just to add to this, my neice was diagnosed via bloodwork and her parents took her to a GI who said, "I want to do an endoscopy to see the level of damage. Then we can see how much gluten she can eat."

WHAT?!? I was practically screaming at my brother in law when he told me that. I said, "SHE CAN'T HAVE GLUTEN!"

They are going to another GI now. Ridiculous!

Celiac disease April 2013 -- so glad I got answers and can heal now.

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: