#1 TessTess

TessTess

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:10 AM

Hi!

I have just joined this forum and it looks great!

I have been diagnosed with Celiac for many years and been fairly gluten free since I was a kid.

Last Sept I had baby 2 (mid 30s) and as I did with baby 1 struggled with knee pain post partum.  I saw my doctor and requested a vitamin D blood test and was low, I went on prescription vitamin Ds and it improved. I retested and was over the minimum amount(35), so she is not concerned (although I am breastfeeding and I have read it should be higher (50)).

I am now taking vitamin D and calcium supplements, eating a great diet and still have the following main symptoms:

one knee needs cracking often (hurts if I don't), worse in morning.

toes hurt a lot in the morning, I need to stretch them/move them for a couple of minutes before trying to walk.

groins sometimes fill awkward, every now and then one side will slightly fail me and I nearly fall (not badly just need to readjust).

Does anyone know how quickly vitamin D levels can drop again, how often I should get tested? Anything else I should get tested for?  My doctor did say it is unlikely to be arthritis at my age, but there is no point testing at this stage anyway as I am breastfeeding and that would involve xrays and then nothing could be done anyway.  I used to live in Australia and bone density tests were done every second year on celiacs, my doctor said here it is not done, just calcium blood tests. I do know my bones were slightly fragile (at 30 they looked more like those over a 40 year old) however I haven't had any broken bones or other issues.

After writing this, my feeling is I need to find a doctor who knows more about Celiac also!

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 frieze

frieze

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:49 AM

yup, need a lot more medical support here.  You need the vitamin D, especially while nursing.  You cant give the kid enough, if you don't have it.  There is some thought that some "child abuse" cases have been actually severe D def.  The Ca++/D supplements don't have enough D in them to matter much.

Thorough testing, and come back with your numbers, good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: