4 replies to this topic

#1 gemstar8069

gemstar8069

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:30 AM

Hi I don't post much but I'm wondering if anyone here has ever developed a rash in there arms and torso that was itchy and turns to eczema after from eating gluten? My dr seems to think it was lichen planus but I'm not convinced I had a biopsy before and it came back eczema due to allergy so I was sent to a dermatologist she thinks it's lichen planus but nothing is helping except eliminating gluten just waiting for the second biopsy to come back to confirm yes or no for the lichen planus any help or hind sight would be lovely

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

Could be anything, but I have found that when it comes to rashes, most respond to a gluten-free diet. Eczema and psoriasis both do. I have psoriasis and within days of going gluten-free it started getting better. And now if I get glutened (or corned or soyed, or too many salicylates - lucky me! I react to all of these!) the psoriasis comes back.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 freeme808

freeme808

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

I have a rash! Bad one...everywhere it shows up, it parallels. If its on one arm, its on the other...one shoulder its on the other etc. It shows up on my face, arms, shoulders, my whole torso-back and front, my thighs, my knees...lol, I think the only place I don't really get it is my calves and feet. It looks like these little bumps that have fluid in them. If I start scratching the whole area gets inflamed, red, and my skin looks bumpy. I hate the feeling, it feels like I have a million mosquitos biting me!

When I went gluten free, it took a while to heal and go away, but it eventually did. And if I just had ONE bite of gluten, within an hour I was scratching and it was back. Now that I've been on gluten for a couple months, well it's here and doesn't really go away. It flares up every time I eat really-and usually about an hour after. Sucks! I never did see a dermatologist, because I canceled as I was no longer on gluten(no rash) so I don't know for sure if it's DH or just eczema, but I do know that gluten causes it. 

That's good you are working with a dermatologist though. Hopefully she'll be able to help you figure out what it is. :)

Need to be sugar, gluten, dairy, & yeast free!

Taking baby steps. Having a harder time transitioning than I thought.  :mellow:

#4 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

FreeMe, because yours is symetrical (on both arms, on both knees, etc.) it certainly sounds like DH. Have you been to the DH forum here? There are a bunch of great people who can help you. For instance, did you know the DH antibodies can stay in your system for up to two years? That means even if you haven't been glutened you can still break out at any time. Also, iodine can often cause a breakout. Check out all of the great info from the folks over at DH and you will probably learn of ways to get relief. :)

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#5 freeme808

freeme808

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

:) Thank you bartfull, I will check out the DH forum. 

Need to be sugar, gluten, dairy, & yeast free!

Taking baby steps. Having a harder time transitioning than I thought.  :mellow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: