3 replies to this topic

#1 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

It has been so long since I've been glutened that I hardly remember what it was like. Thank goodness for that! Unfortunately, I ate a handful of nuts (the first food I gave up back in the 90s). It has been a three-day drag so far. Many symptoms are similar to gluten but not as pronounced. Also, there is not much emotional disregulation as there typically is with a glutening. What IS there is the fatigue, heavy arms, muscle burning, numb knees and arthritis that typically accompanies the gluten reaction.

The nuts were made in a factory where flour is used which could be a consideration.

Does anyone else have 3+ day event after eating foods (other than gluten) to which they are allergic? Is there any proof that this reaction to other foods is due to leaky gut and, therefore, may disappear as the gut repairs over time?

So far, the best I've felt is on a Paleo diet (no grains or legumes). It's a restrictive diet but worth it to feel that good. However, I really am curious if any of you have experienced a reduction in food allergies after being gluten-free for some time.

Thanks,

Cali
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

It has been so long since I've been glutened that I hardly remember what it was like. Thank goodness for that! Unfortunately, I ate a handful of nuts (the first food I gave up back in the 90s). It has been a three-day drag so far. Many symptoms are similar to gluten but not as pronounced. Also, there is not much emotional disregulation as there typically is with a glutening. What IS there is the fatigue, heavy arms, muscle burning, numb knees and arthritis that typically accompanies the gluten reaction.

The nuts were made in a factory where flour is used which could be a consideration.

Does anyone else have 3+ day event after eating foods (other than gluten) to which they are allergic? Is there any proof that this reaction to other foods is due to leaky gut and, therefore, may disappear as the gut repairs over time?

So far, the best I've felt is on a Paleo diet (no grains or legumes). It's a restrictive diet but worth it to feel that good. However, I really am curious if any of you have experienced a reduction in food allergies after being gluten-free for some time.

Thanks,

Cali

Yes, I have 6 other diagnosed food allergies besides gluten.  I also have 3+ day (actually 1-2 week) reactions after consuming any of those foods.  I've been gluten free for 9 years, but i still react just as severely to my other diagnosed allergens. Actually, like gluten, the longer I abstain from those allergens, the more severely and longer I react. 

I suspect leaky gut, caused by gluten antibody damage, originally caused those other allergies. However, even after my gut heals (or healed?), the antibodies to those foods will still be in my blood. My body's immune system won't forget how to react to those foods. So the bad new is I will probably always react to my diagnosed allergens.

The good news is that I found tasty substitutes for all my allergens (which are usually ingredients in most processed foods and baked goods).  I don't miss any of my allergens, because I can make the foods which contained my allergens, without my allergens, but with safe substitutes. (That will make more sense if you look at my list of allergens.) Of course, I only eliminated my diagnosed allergens. So I can eat anything to which i don't react.  Getting an accurate allergy test was so much easier than trying to figure out my allergens with an elimination diet.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

My Functional Medicine Nurse told me that it takes about 4 days for antibody levels to go down.  I had mentioned that my reaction to eating mango peels (don't try it) peeked at about 4 days and took a week to go away.  Mango peels have the same substance as poison ivy, so this experience isn't recommended.  I went through a cycle just like I go through when I have some major food intolerance.

D

#4 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

If only positive thinking was the cure! I have an appointment with a Functional Medicine doctor in a few weeks (first visit). I can imagine she will want to test me for allergies. If you have any suggestions or questions I should ask during my appointment, I'd appreciate your input.

It would definitely be better to have a test and stop with the trial and error. Don't worry, no mango peels for me!
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: