21 replies to this topic

#16 mamatrois

mamatrois

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

dilettantesteph - I have been on the gluten-free diet for approximately one million years....oh wait, it just feels like that.  ;)

1.5 years ago elimination diet (inc. wheat, dairy, sugar, soy, corn, coffee, etc etc etc), started reacting to lots right away, by Nov 2012 gluten prohibited but not restricted, January 2013 gluten-free for life!  It took a lot of food journaling, illness and extreme weight loss to get to where I am, which I hope is healing up nicely?  

Thanks for the links!  I will try those before I become a vagrant hobo, dumpster diving for gluten-free snacks behind the local health food store.  ;)  

Gemini!  The sensory table is one of the things available for the kids during freeplay period, and can include things we are used to seeing (Sand, Water, Rice) and some new, interesting things for the kidlets, like WHEAT FLOUR (aka my personal hell). lol.

Happy Saturday Everyone!   :D

“A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.” ~Roald Dahl

<p>

~Self diagnosed Jan 2013, blood work negative (already off the gluten).
~Papillary thyroid cancer (total thyroidectomy), parathyroid cancer (3 removed), RAI, 2009
~symptoms that are steadily improving with time include: extreme weight loss, hair loss, panic/anxiety, migraines, 'IBS', reflux
~intolerances:egg, dairy, beef, watermelon, cranberry, pineapple
~three lovely kids, all with wheat/dairy sensitivity or allergies, 2 tested neg for celiac

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

So...you have ingested crayons?  Or do you have an allergy to them?  I know some people have allergic reactions to some dyes so maybe that is the problem?

No, all I have to do is stick my nose over the box and I feel the glands in my neck swell up.  I haven't checked to see if I bloat.  I do have problems with corn, but I smell a chemical smell when I get near them. 

I also have problems with open bags of flour.  My family decided to use up some grain left in our Kitchen..  NOT GOOD

#18 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

I know that one million years feeling.  We all have bad days.  Hope yours are looking up now.

#19 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

dilettantesteph - I have been on the gluten-free diet for approximately one million years....oh wait, it just feels like that.   ;)

1.5 years ago elimination diet (inc. wheat, dairy, sugar, soy, corn, coffee, etc etc etc), started reacting to lots right away, by Nov 2012 gluten prohibited but not restricted, January 2013 gluten-free for life!  It took a lot of food journaling, illness and extreme weight loss to get to where I am, which I hope is healing up nicely?  

Thanks for the links!  I will try those before I become a vagrant hobo, dumpster diving for gluten-free snacks behind the local health food store.   ;)

Gemini!  The sensory table is one of the things available for the kids during freeplay period, and can include things we are used to seeing (Sand, Water, Rice) and some new, interesting things for the kidlets, like WHEAT FLOUR (aka my personal hell). lol.

Happy Saturday Everyone!   :D

Whatever happened to the days when kids played with TOYS?  Everything is too food based and with all the allergies and intolerances today, they shouldn't be doing a food table.  :huh:

#20 BelleVie

BelleVie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

Hi Rachel, I feel your pain! I'm a kindergarten teacher and am also in a "sea of gluteny badness." I'm not sure if I'm super sensitive or not, as I'm still wading through all of my other intolerances to try and figure out what's what, but I do think that working in this field as a person with gluten issues is not the best idea, unfortunately. I'm also in Asia, so there's soy sauce all over EVERYTHING in our kitchen. I have to keep one special spoon just for me on my desk! 

Would you consider working full time with your own classroom? Then you could have relatively more control over what you allow in. And during snack/lunch time you could just be extra vigilant about crumbs and such? 

I hope you figure things out and get well! 

#21 mamatrois

mamatrois

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

Hi Rachel, I feel your pain! I'm a kindergarten teacher and am also in a "sea of gluteny badness." I'm not sure if I'm super sensitive or not, as I'm still wading through all of my other intolerances to try and figure out what's what, but I do think that working in this field as a person with gluten issues is not the best idea, unfortunately. I'm also in Asia, so there's soy sauce all over EVERYTHING in our kitchen. I have to keep one special spoon just for me on my desk! 

Would you consider working full time with your own classroom? Then you could have relatively more control over what you allow in. And during snack/lunch time you could just be extra vigilant about crumbs and such? 

I hope you figure things out and get well! 

Hi BelleVie,

I will consider running my own program in the future, but for now my youngest daughter is only two years old, so I'm content with part-time work.  It does make it challenging though!  And you're not alone...I too travel with my own spoon.  :)

I can only imagine the challenge of being in Asia and the soy-sauce-situation!  I hope you figure your situation out too.  :)

“A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.” ~Roald Dahl

<p>

~Self diagnosed Jan 2013, blood work negative (already off the gluten).
~Papillary thyroid cancer (total thyroidectomy), parathyroid cancer (3 removed), RAI, 2009
~symptoms that are steadily improving with time include: extreme weight loss, hair loss, panic/anxiety, migraines, 'IBS', reflux
~intolerances:egg, dairy, beef, watermelon, cranberry, pineapple
~three lovely kids, all with wheat/dairy sensitivity or allergies, 2 tested neg for celiac

#22 BelleVie

BelleVie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

Hi BelleVie,

I will consider running my own program in the future, but for now my youngest daughter is only two years old, so I'm content with part-time work.  It does make it challenging though!  And you're not alone...I too travel with my own spoon.   :)

I can only imagine the challenge of being in Asia and the soy-sauce-situation!  I hope you figure your situation out too.   :)

LOL, we should start a thread... "You know you're a celiac/gluten intolerant person when...."

-you keep a spoon in your purse, just in case. :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: