#1 pondy

pondy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a connection between Celiac and osteo/nerve issues?  Are Celiacs prone to osteopathic or nervous tissue degenerative diseases?

My history - diagnosed with Celiac about 3 yrs. ago - gluten free ever since.  Since then, internal carotid dissections and aneurysms thought to be caused by Fibromuscular Displaysia, Tension Migraines.

Recently - waking up from sound sleep with burning pain - left side only - from neck/chest/shoulder down to fingers.  Pain feels like it's deep in the bone.  Occurs a couple times per week with varying severity.  It does not seem to matter what I'm doing - sleeping, driving, just sitting there...  After the pain (and sometimes along with it) comes numbness, sometimes tingling.

I ask because I just came from the hospital for such pain.  I thought I had suffered a heart attack.  I didn't.  My doctors are bewildered and so am I.  I have a follow up with my primary next week and I'd like to offer some ideas as to what they might want to check for.

Thanks for your input!

"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change"
- Charles Darwin

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:20 AM

I would be thinking more along the line of a TIA, than a HA.    keep a detailed diary, see if you can correlate symptoms with some sort of activity.  ?cervical issues?  spine doc/chiro ?

#3 twe0708

twe0708

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

About two years ago I started experiencing tingling on the tops of my feet when I applied lotion.  A year ago I had a bad kink in my neck and couldn't move for two days. It felt like a pinched nerve and it wasn't muscle related.  I had to be very careful not to turn my neck as well as the rest of my body the pain was so bad.  A year later I had the same problem in my lower back.  About 2 months ago I started experiencing a burning sensation on my outter left hip area.  I think this is all related to neuropathy problems but I haven't been tested because I told my doctor the hip pain isn't bad enough to justify taking medication that would probably only cause other problems.  If I had the neck and back problem more often then I would look at testing because that felt like I was being tortured.  Good luck!

#4 pondy

pondy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for your input!

I spoke with a family member who is a chiropractor & he said to ask my doctor to check me out for 'thorasic output syndrome', so that's on my to-do list. 

I worried about a TIA also, especially considering my history.  Obviously I need more testing - symptoms are still present. 

To twe0708 - 'neuropathy problems'?  Could you elaborate?  Do you know what the testing is for that?  Everything you mentioned, I have had also at different times recently.

Thanks & Take Care!

Pondy

"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change"
- Charles Darwin

#5 'lynrn

'lynrn

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:16 AM

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a connection between Celiac and osteo/nerve issues?  Are Celiacs prone to osteopathic or nervous tissue degenerative diseases?

My history - diagnosed with Celiac about 3 yrs. ago - gluten free ever since.  Since then, internal carotid dissections and aneurysms thought to be caused by Fibromuscular Displaysia, Tension Migraines.

Thanks for your input!

I spoke with a family member who is a chiropractor & he said to ask my doctor to check me out for 'thorasic output syndrome', so that's on my to-do list. 

I worried about a TIA also, especially considering my history.  Obviously I need more testing - symptoms are still present. 

To twe0708 - 'neuropathy problems'?  Could you elaborate?  Do you know what the testing is for that?  Everything you mentioned, I have had also at different times recently.

Thanks & Take Care!
Pondy

Recently - waking up from sound sleep with burning pain - left side only - from neck/chest/shoulder down to fingers.  Pain feels like it's deep in the bone.  Occurs a couple times per week with varying severity.  It does not seem to matter what I'm doing - sleeping, driving, just sitting there...  After the pain (and sometimes along with it) comes numbness, sometimes tingling.

I ask because I just came from the hospital for such pain.  I thought I had suffered a heart attack.  I didn't.  My doctors are bewildered and so am I.  I have a follow up with my primary next week and I'd like to offer some ideas as to what they might want to check for.

Thanks for your input!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: