Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Treatment Or Tips For Dealing With Accidental Glutening?

nausea headache appetite chills body aches

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 ravenra

ravenra

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

Hi there, I'm new to all of this - 6 months off gluten. I've had a few run ins with gluten since 'going clean' where I had stomach and flu like symptoms which lasted for a few hours, or at worst, a day.

This past weekend I ate out a few times (I travel for work a lot) so I'm not sure exactly what I ate that caused the problem, but I've been 'sick' for 3 days now. Day 1 was horrendous fatigue, headache, body aches, serious nausea, grumpiness, and overall feeling like I wanted to die. Similar to my previous experiences, but much more severe.  Days 2, and 3 (today) are best described as hanging a hangover - my stomach is 'uneasy', still nauseous, headache, and no desire to eat.  I've had white rice a few times, some fruit, and eggs, but that was forcing myself to eat something.  

Wondering if there is anything I can do, eat, or meds to take to help with this process. Also - any ideas on how long it takes for the gluten to get out of my system? Any advice or personal anecdotes would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Rachael - Ontario, Canada

Gluten free since 12-2012

Thrombocytopenia 09-2013

Optic neuritis 02-2013, 5-2014

Dx w/ Asthma, Lichen Sclerosis, & IBS for over a decade.  

Daily headache(s), eczema, and LS free since giving up gluten!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bluedove

bluedove

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

It usually takes me two to three days to recover and be functional after a contamination. Drink LOTS of water. I drank 4L in a six hour period. I also took tylenol to cope with a raging headache. Heating pad, castor oil packs. I had some gluten-free chicken broth but that was about all I could eat. It felt like someone took a cheese grater or razor blade to my guts. L-glutamine is a supplement you can take to help with healing the gut. I've been taking it awhile now. Good luck!

#3 ravenra

ravenra

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:32 AM

It usually takes me two to three days to recover and be functional after a contamination. Drink LOTS of water. I drank 4L in a six hour period. I also took tylenol to cope with a raging headache. Heating pad, castor oil packs. I had some gluten-free chicken broth but that was about all I could eat. It felt like someone took a cheese grater or razor blade to my guts. L-glutamine is a supplement you can take to help with healing the gut. I've been taking it awhile now. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply!

Gluten free since 12-2012

Thrombocytopenia 09-2013

Optic neuritis 02-2013, 5-2014

Dx w/ Asthma, Lichen Sclerosis, & IBS for over a decade.  

Daily headache(s), eczema, and LS free since giving up gluten!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nausea, headache, appetite, chills, body aches

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: