"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

Very interesting.

Cooking does increase the antioxident level of the tomato:

http://mobile.foodna...aw#.Uh9zY10tFeY

But I suspect the cooking of the tomato breaksndown the lectin content thereby allowing you to digest without reaction.

For me - I can eat heirloom tomato sauce with much less reaction than raw tomato - my reaction to all nightshades are muscle/joint issues.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

Random thought, do any of you have cataracts? That would cause it to become more difficult to see at night in some people.

#18 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

i don't have cataracts, but have always been near-sighted.  now, if i wear my contacts, i need reader cheaters to see up close.  this getting old is for the BIRDS lolz :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#19 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

i don't have cataracts, but have always been near-sighted. now, if i wear my contacts, i need reader cheaters to see up close. this getting old is for the BIRDS lolz :)

Seems that we have the same eyeballs....ditto ditto (since 18) ditto ditto & ditto! But still thankful that my night vision resolved gluten-free.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#20 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

I started to need cheaters before going gluten-free.  But after starting on my gluten-free diet, I don't need them any more.  My eye doctor said my near vision is 20/40.  It's one of the perks of being gluten-free for me.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#21 PCB

PCB

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:51 AM

No further scotomas despite excess baked tomatoes. No cataracts. I am still hoping to read a more convincing explanation of why plants of the tomato family are called nightshades. It will be interesting to hear some more from contributors who have had poor night vision when driving what they think has caused improvement.

#22 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

Hmmm 1st time seeing this. I have had horrible night vision for years!! I had an eye doc tell me it is because I have blue eyes. He said blue eyed people absorb light where brown eyed people refract the light. Hence the reason blue eye'd people have a tendency to be night blind. 

But now i hear all this. Hmmm and if it rains!! I may as well hang it up!! I really try not to drive at night and when it rains I refuse to drive!! I might have to look into some vitamins and minerals for this. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#23 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:15 AM

I started to need cheaters before going gluten-free.  But after starting on my gluten-free diet, I don't need them any more.  My eye doctor said my near vision is 20/40.  It's one of the perks of being gluten-free for me.

Wow!! Wonderful for you!! Maby it will work for me to!! :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#24 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

My son has light blue eyes and has a lot of problems with sunlight and glare.  He's the "cool" 6 year old who is always wearing sunglasses :P  Anyway, his eye doctor said for him it was a case of the black rim around this iris not being as deep as most people's are, which causes his issues with the sun.  He said that was more common in people with blue eyes.  His dad also has blue eyes, but doesn't have nearly the problems with glare that DS does.  Unfortunately DS also got my large pupils, so that may be the deciding factor.  It's interesting to hear someone else talk about this issue with blue eyes.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#25 PCB

PCB

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:49 AM

We are just coming to the end of our greenhouse tomatoes. Large portions of them (baked) have not produced any more scotomas. Loren Cordain Ph.D (Paleo Diet) suggests that a glycoalkaloid present particularly in small green tomatoes can make the gut leaky. Cooked green tomatoes, or ripe tomatoes contain much less of it. He thinks that similar chemicals in potatoes are less potent and notes that they are concentrated mainly in the peel. The leaky gut allows antigens from food to get into the bloodstream, so nightshade foods may have something to do with maintaining autoimmune illnesses like celiac disease. I have two more variable neurological symptoms - tinnitus (without deafness) and poor memory - which do NOT seem to be affected by tomatoes or potatoes. If my food diary suggests any other food could be responsible I will post it on another thread.

#26 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

i have been eating very ripe, delicious tomatoes - honestly, the darn plants are *still* producing fruit!  i drove at night on friday evening - i was ok, but it seemed unusually dark  maybe the moon wasn't shining, but i drove almost the whole way with my bright lights on and our neighborhood is relatively well lit..  in any case, i can't resist the tomatoes!  :)  so i will be eating them for another few weeks until i run out of fresh ones from the garden.

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#27 PCB

PCB

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:52 PM

Hello anyone still interested in this subject!  The scotomas disappeared on the 24th September last year and did not reappear until the 26th March this year. Since then there have been 5 episodes with clear gaps. The latest has been going on since the 1st June. The scotomas peak each year in June and July and the present peak has varied considerably. The food diary kept for the last 3 months clearly shows that they cannot be due to tomatoes alone. They are either due to multiple foods or something else. I have just done 5 days excluding all nightshade foods and the scotomas first increased and then decreased slightly. I thought originally that they might be due to nightshade alkaloids which affect nerve conduction. These vary in concentration, are excreted slowly and are fairly heat stable. Lisa (GottaSki) mentioned lectins, another group of compounds found in grains used by celiacs, nightshades, legumes and dairy products which can bind to various tissues including gut wall, blood cells or various organs including the brain. Cooking is said to lower the toxicity. I recently read about profilins, proteins involved in cell structure in animals but also found in some fruits and vegetables including tomato. They are also present in pollens and can act as an allergen. The grass pollen season here extends from April to September and I am feeling slightly hay fevered at the moment. Perhaps I should be paying attention to the weather record rather than the food diary! More ideas for experiments please. My wife is marvellous at making simple gourmet meals excluding things!  

#28 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:47 AM

Have you seen an Opthamologist about the Scotomas?  There are other reasons for them aside from food.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#29 NatureChick

NatureChick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

I don't know anything about Scotomas, but aside from investigating the foods high in fructans, have you considered that the seasonality of the problem could be related to having more sunlight exposure in the summer? Have you tried to limit your light exposure with the use of hats and darker/bigger sunglasses? 

#30 PCB

PCB

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

Colleen: see posting 5 July 2013. The ophthalmologist wrote ' to be honest I could not find any pathology to account for this scotoma . . . '

NatureChick: sun exposure and optometrist see posting 1 Aug 2013

The only reason I am posting all this is because this symptom so far appears to be unique. In case it has a celiac basis this seems to be one place to look for answers..  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: