34 replies to this topic

#31 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

Colleen: see posting 5 July 2013. The ophthalmologist wrote ' to be honest I could not find any pathology to account for this scotoma . . . '

NatureChick: sun exposure and optometrist see posting 1 Aug 2013

The only reason I am posting all this is because this symptom so far appears to be unique. In case it has a celiac basis this seems to be one place to look for answers..  

I believe you said in one post you saw the Hospital Eye Clinic.  Then you saw an Optometrist.  I asked if you have seen an Opthalmologist.  

Good luck with the Nightshades  :)

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 PCB

PCB

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:17 AM

As people still seem to be reading this thread here is an update. After eight bouts of the scotomas through the summer (they were continuous through June - August) they disappeared at the end of September. We live in southern England and the National Pollen and Aerobiology Research Unit at the University of Worcester kindly sent me pollen counts for near this part of the country. The scotomas started with the onset of the birch pollen season but it was not obvious that the gaps coincided with changes in pollen count. I did a DST home FastCheck POC IgE blood test for inhalant antigens about a week after the last scotoma and there was a weak positive to birch pollen and stinging nettle pollen.

#33 Solandra

Solandra

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:36 PM

This is interesting, I noticed some night blindness in the past couple of years, worse in one eye. I never used to wear glasses before and I suddenly had to get them for distance at 30... before that, I was pretty much 20/20. How frustrating that it could be related.

Diagnosed with Hashimoto's 2/2012. Thyroid tumor removed 4/2012. Positive AGA IGA blood test 3/2012.

#34 PCB

PCB

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:56 AM

As people still seem to be reading this thread here is an update. After eight bouts of the scotomas through the summer (they were continuous through June - August) they disappeared at the end of September. We live in southern England and the National Pollen and Aerobiology Research Unit at the University of Worcester kindly sent me pollen counts for near this part of the country. The scotomas started with the onset of the birch pollen season but it was not obvious that the gaps coincided with changes in pollen count. I did a DST home FastCheck POC IgE blood test for inhalant antigens about a week after the last scotoma and there was a weak positive to birch pollen and stinging nettle pollen.

After doing the IgE test I was sent September nettle pollen data for Worcester (which included all members of the Urticaceae). Levels decreased to low about the 11th and almost disappeared by the end of the month. The scotomas could therefore be a reaction to pollen but I will perhaps try to do an IgE test for tomato allergy next year if the scotomas return.   

#35 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:18 AM

I discovered recently that I react to harvest dust in the air.  I wonder if allergies to something like that could cause eye trouble.  I see you are on to that trail with the nettles and birch idea.  I live near a grain silo (within 10 miles) and the unseen dust evidently gives me some of my old celiac symptoms.  Over recent summers it has seemed so mysterious this sudden reappearance of symptoms.  Late this year I felt the old fatigue and mind fog, and was instructed to put on a dust mask.  After 3 or 4 days I felt much better.

Years ago, I remember a time driving at night when small signs turned to  blurs.  I don't have this problem anymore, It did go away when I went on a supplements as recommended by my chiropractor. PCB Have you had your nutrient levels checked?  I can't remember if that were mentioned above.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: