This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dental Hell!

LolaB

LolaB Apprentice

Celiac seems to has taken a toll on my teeth.  Constant root canals, brown spots, lines on them, cavities .... just horrendous! It does not help that I am terrified of the dentist! I get terrible anxiety, get all sweaty and have been know to cancel appointments....yup I am a dentist wimp.  Does anyone else have teeth problems? Anyone?  I have posted before and have been gluten free for close to 9 months diagnosed with Celiac disease.  Even though I follow a gluten free diet and am terrified of having anything with gluten in it I still manage to feel like crap mpre days than none!  But let's talk about the teeth .............. it is embarrasing and a tad annoying that my dentist may be clueless about Celiac.  <_<      Did I mention I don't like the dentist?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Dental problems correlate with celiac disease. Malabsorption causes mineral deficiencies. This in turn leads to weak tooth enamel, and cavities ensue.

While I can't address your fear of the dentist, there is no reason to be worried about being exposed to gluten as a result of your appointment. I don't know of a single product used in dentistry that contains gluten. If anyone has a verified example, please share it with us, with full details.

mommy2krj Explorer

We are currently in the process of having everyone tested for Celiac's (after reading some of the stories here, I simply wasn't willing to take the chance that anyone in my family could have it without knowing it and since my youngest has tested positive.....)

Anyway...I won't be surprised, really, if my results come back positive. Don't have any real stomach issues but I do get migraines and have always been told I have soft teeth (what in the world does that mean?!?) and always have had something that required dental work to be done every.single.time. I've ever seen a dentist. No going in for just a cleaning for me!

So I feel your pain! I finally broke down and got in to a dentist that listened to me and agreed with my analysis of my teeth. I no longer have any upper teeth at all and only a couple on the bottom. There just wasn't anything viable to save. I hate the dentist and I always tell them that....no offense...but I hate your profession. They usually respond by looking in my mouth and then telling me they can understand why.

So....huge huge hugs to you! Sedation dentistry is wonderful (if you can afford it!) and the fact that most of them now let you bring in your iPod or other form of music has made it so much better. In a, we're going to cause you pain but on a happy note, you don't have to listen to our drill while we're doing it....kind of way. :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Dentist phobias are not unusual. Talk to your dentist or your GP and explain how great your fear is and that it is preventing you from getting the dental care you know you need. Either one can give you a small script for an antianxiety med to take before the appointment. You will need someone to drive you there and home though unless the office is within walking distance for you.

I had to have a number of teeth pulled and needed to get crowns and the generic form of Xanax (alprazolam) enabled me to get the work done with no stress. Do check and make sure that whatever they give you is gluten free. My doctor made calls to the pharmacutical companies while I sat there and we had to forgo the name brand Xanax but the gluten free generic from Sandoz was safe.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I came across this yesterday at the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center Webpage FAQ: Open Original Shared Link

Kareng has been linking to them recently.

They list: 

• Toothpaste, mouthwash, breath mints, dental treatments

As an answer to: What are some common ways gluten can sneak into my diet?

If this is untrue, maybe someone should make efforts to have it removed from their page.  They do not give any references.  I have already written them asking for a reference for another question.  If I get an answer back on that one, I can try this one next.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I came across this yesterday at the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center Webpage FAQ: Open Original Shared Link

They list: 

If this is untrue, maybe someone should make efforts to have it removed from their page.  They do not give any references.  I have already written them asking for a reference for another question.  If I get an answer back on that one, I can try this one next.

Maybe the dental treatments the site is referring to are items like self-whitening kits and not treatments at the dentist.  

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

We are currently in the process of having everyone tested for Celiac's (after reading some of the stories here, I simply wasn't willing to take the chance that anyone in my family could have it without knowing it and since my youngest has tested positive.....)

Anyway...I won't be surprised, really, if my results come back positive. Don't have any real stomach issues but I do get migraines and have always been told I have soft teeth (what in the world does that mean?!?) and always have had something that required dental work to be done every.single.time. I've ever seen a dentist. No going in for just a cleaning for me!

So I feel your pain! I finally broke down and got in to a dentist that listened to me and agreed with my analysis of my teeth. I no longer have any upper teeth at all and only a couple on the bottom. There just wasn't anything viable to save. I hate the dentist and I always tell them that....no offense...but I hate your profession. They usually respond by looking in my mouth and then telling me they can understand why.

So....huge huge hugs to you! Sedation dentistry is wonderful (if you can afford it!) and the fact that most of them now let you bring in your iPod or other form of music has made it so much better. In a, we're going to cause you pain but on a happy note, you don't have to listen to our drill while we're doing it....kind of way. :)

I-pod at the dentist! That is awesome! Why have I never thought of that!

I used to always get the happy gas but I stopped because 1) I heard one nurse at my old dentist telling the other nurse "Be sure he drills the right tooth this time." I was wishing I was a lot less loopey when I heard her say that. I then got really sick from the gas afterwards, which had never happened before I don't know if it was just a migraine aggravated by the gas or if they gave me way too much. I never went back to him again he was 90 and had been our family dentist for 4 generations.  2) I had started having what I now believe were petit mal seizures more frequently around that time and I became rather fearful of not coming back from the gas.  

My new dentist (last decade or so) is a friend of my big brother. Great guy, I trust him, I have no excuse for the fact I don't go in regularly anymore. Well other than that I'm broke. I'll have to work on that. I actually had insurance at work for a year and he wasn't one of the dentists on the list so I just stopped going. When I realized none of my Doctors were on my list I canceled the insurance.

I agree dentists can be scary but it's better to go sooner than later. A wonderful friend of mine died far too young from an infected tooth.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenStinks15 Explorer

I was diagnosed at the end of April and have had some tooth pain. Went to the dentist and nothing is wrong, but somehow the gluten was making my teeth hurt (I don't know if that makes sense.) Since being gluten free I have not had the pain except for one oopsie of cross contamination. It's so crazy how we are all effected SO differently.

Yes, use the ipod - I too dislike the dentist. It's an irrational fear on my part, and I know it's irrational, but that doesn't make it any easier!!

Pegleg84 Collaborator

I just had a dentist apt yesterday, so this is on the brain. I've been going to the dentist since I was little, so never had a problem with it. I had the same dentist for 25+ years, and he was great. So last year when I saw a different dentist in Toronto for the first time, I was a little nervous, and not super impressed. However, turns out he's no longer working at the office I'm going to (around the corner from my house. I picked the most convenient), but the dentist I saw yesterday seemed to really know her stuff, so I feel better.... except that she found 2 cavities. I haven't had any in at least 15 years! Nooo!

My teeth have always been fairly healthy, though in hindsight there are a few celiac signs, like very ridgy teeth, they're pretty tight/kind of crooked, and tend to yellow easily.

There can be gluten in toothpastes and such occasionally, so it's good to ask your dentist if the pastes and such they use are gluten-free.

The dentist can be scary. Sharp objects in your mouth and drilling is no fun, but taking care of your teeth is important. Which means I should be flossing more.

Good luck!

JaneWhoLovesRain Enthusiast

Lola - You are not alone with your dental phobia, I have suffered this for years.  You can check out dentalfearcentral.com  It is a great website with a message board full of other dental phobics.

I have suffered with terrible teeth my whole life.  First extraction at age of 11 or 12, first root canal at 17, I have now lost count of the # of root canals and crowns I have and even more difficult to keep track of them as I am now at the point where I am having old root canals redone and old crowns replaced.  I am very embarrassed about the state of my mouth. 

I just found a great dentist who is willing to work with me and my fears, he is so nice and makes me laugh.  I still hate going though and have to take valium beforehand.  With that an my MP3 player I am able to somehow get through the appt.

Gemini Experienced

They list: 

I've had just about every dental procedure out there in the past 8 years and did extensive research, speaking with dental reps from the major suppliers of dental products to dental offices in the US and they all confirmed that they are very much aware of the problem of gluten in dental supplies and that they do not use any gluten components in their products.  If you read any of the ingredients listings in dental offices, they do make use of xanthan gum as a thickening agent, and sometimes use guar gum, but xanthan gum is the one I saw most often. Both are gluten free. As I am about as sensitive as you can get to small amounts of gluten and have not had any reactions, I would tend to believe their responses.

Mouthwashes have been listed as a possible but the one most used before procedures, Peridex, is gluten free.  Usually mouthwashes are used at home and not in the dental office so if you read labels, it should be easy enough to figure out.

I would say that even places like the University of Chicago Celiac Center can make mistakes or base their information on old data.  There are many articles and books that make mistakes.  People should not fear the dentist and not put off dental work because of gluten fears.  If there were gluten at the dentist, I would have taken a hit by now. Toothpaste and dental treatments are not something to worry about, period.  However, mouth washes and breath mints may be a problem but that's where label reading comes into play.

Looks like I'll have to send them an e-mail and attempt to tell them this and ask for their reasons why they would list them when dental products are safe!

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I've had just about every dental procedure out there in the past 8 years and did extensive research, speaking with dental reps from the major suppliers of dental products to dental offices in the US and they all confirmed that they are very much aware of the problem of gluten in dental supplies and that they do not use any gluten components in their products.  If you read any of the ingredients listings in dental offices, they do make use of xanthan gum as a thickening agent, and sometimes use guar gum, but xanthan gum is the one I saw most often. Both are gluten free. As I am about as sensitive as you can get to small amounts of gluten and have not had any reactions, I would tend to believe their responses.

Mouthwashes have been listed as a possible but the one most used before procedures, Peridex, is gluten free.  Usually mouthwashes are used at home and not in the dental office so if you read labels, it should be easy enough to figure out.

I would say that even places like the University of Chicago Celiac Center can make mistakes or base their information on old data.  There are many articles and books that make mistakes.  People should not fear the dentist and not put off dental work because of gluten fears.  If there were gluten at the dentist, I would have taken a hit by now. Toothpaste and dental treatments are not something to worry about, period.  However, mouth washes and breath mints may be a problem but that's where label reading comes into play.

Looks like I'll have to send them an e-mail and attempt to tell them this and ask for their reasons why they would list them when dental products are safe!

Good idea Gemini.  If they have inaccurate information on their site, it should be changed.

• 3 years later...
sktgrl119 Newbie

I have had so many issues with my teeth--I keep getting decay and I have had filling after filling.  This past week, my dentist told me I may need a crown, which is pricey. I also have two missing teeth, which was a genetic thing that runs in my family.

I am sick of hygienists telling me I am not doing enough brushing, flossing rinsing.  I do all three religiously (can't even imagine how bad my mouth would be if I didn't...) 

Thankfully, last time I had my teeth cleaned, the hygienist said that my mouth was the cleanest one she had seen in years. And, she said, "something happened to your teeth developmentally." I explained how I had undiagnosed celiac disease many years.

I am only 31... It is really disheartening.  

What do you guys do to afford all this dental care?  My insurance doesn't cover a whole lot.  Thankfully, my dentist has felt bad and gives me discounts here and there.

Gemini Experienced

I have 2 insurance policies, one with my husband's company and one through mine. I also stretch out the more major work into the next year, so I can make the most use of my benefits. So, a dental implant for me takes about a year for me to complete.  I have the post put in at the end of one year and the tooth made about 6 months later. Honestly, the insurance company probably hates me because I max out my benefits every year. You do what ya gotta do!  I still have to pay for some of the work out of pocket but about 75% gets covered.

If you pay cash for procedures then they usually charge a lower price. Haggle with the dentist over price. They like getting cash.

• 3 months later...
obesiac Newbie

went to dentist for cleaning and check ups every 6 months for over 30 yrs. One crown. Lots of fillings . The problem that I am having is gum recession. I dont have periodontal disease or gigivitis. I attribute the recession to celiac. I also have some transparency . I am in my 50's so enamal thinning is probably expected.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Yep my gums are in recession also, and despite brushing twice a day and using a good mouthwash 3 times a day with flossing and dental gum, I still got cavities. Sadly I have no dental and am on medicaid. I had to get a crown few months back cause the filling fell out and I could not eat any solid foods for a week due to the pain. Ended up having my father pay for it. They said I need one other crown and 4 fillings but I can not afford them and have been putting off til they cause discomfort and I have to beg my family for money.

gluten-free girl 67 Apprentice

Yes, I have a lot of fillings. Bad tooth enamel. Not fun.

Archived