This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Apple Juice...anyone?

outthere39

outthere39 Rookie

I am wondering about apple juice in particular. I just cannot seem to cope with it. I love the taste of it, always have, but it does absolutely nothing for stomach. I am wondering if anyone else has had issues with it has well.

Richard

Wilmington, NC

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

Hi Richard,

How long have you been gluten-free?? I know that when I first went gluten-free I could not digest any juices (or fresh fruits or veggies either) and needed digestive enzymes to help be able to tolerate them again. After I have an accident these are the things that are hardest for me to digest again, so I take extra enzymes. I don't take the enzymes at every meal anymore, but when I first started on them I had to or I would get really bad indigestion and stomach pain.

Other than that, just make sure the brand of juice you are drinking is safe. Some juices add gluten, and I still can't figure out why. It isn't like the juice needs it! Most are safe though.

God bless,

Mariann

outthere39 Rookie

DO you know of any brands name of the top of your head? I am fairly new to gluten-free lifestyle and I have the problems with the fresh fruit as well. What enzymes are you taking? I have been trying to find one by biogest, but none of the specialty stores have it. Thanks for the reply.

Richard

Guest Margawitty

MOTT's apple juice all the way! Both the "natural" kind that is kind of opaque and the regular kind that just says "100% juice" and is translucent are gluten free. My cousin who is a five year old autistic celiac, as well as my girlfriend who is an extremely sensative celiac have always been fine with Mott's! I know that my cousin also eats several of the Mott's brand apple sauces. I think a few of the apple sauces are off limits to because he cannot have soy either - but a few may have gluten, I'm not sure. The apple juice is definately fine though!

Other brands that I have seen listed as gluten free but have not tested are: Del Monte (all juices), Dole (all juices), Lucky Leaf apple juice and apply cider & sparkling apple cider, minute maid (all juices), musselman's, ocean spray 100% apple juice and safeway supermarket brand apple juice.

Hope that helps! :) *i wish I could get a college degree in gluten-free foods!*

Lily Rookie

Knudsen juices are the best, nothing added and taste very good. The apple is my favorite.

Lily

• 5 years later...
Arlek Apprentice

You asked if anyone else has had reactions to apple juice. Well, I don't think it's a gluten issue, but I have noticed that apple juice has several interesting affects on me. Over all, I'm not sure if it's good or bad (but from what I can tell, it seems a little of both).

Apple juice does seem to make me constipated. Perhaps constipation isn't the right word. It makes it take longer before I need to go no. 2 (and if I feel like I need to go soon, but not just yet, if I drink apple juice, I suddenly don't feel like I need to go anymore—that has been my observed experience once, so far, at least, and has not been contradicted). It seems to have affects on protein and fermentation (though not necessarily in association with each other). I've noticed that mixing apple juice (well, I guess I've tried this more with apple sauce, but I think the juice has a similar affect in this case) with pineapple does interesting things. It seems to cause it to bubble and smell different over time (I don't know, but maybe this is fermentation); I wonder if this could be used as a leavening agent (even in cold temperatures, such as in a refrigerator), though it may or may not take a long time.

Apple juice also seems to affect the integrity of my spinal and dental structures in a negative way, although it tends to go away if I cease to drink it (within a day or two, perhaps).

Apple juice can probably have affects on my hydration as well, although I think with a little wisdom, any dehydration issues can be circumvented at least partly.

I know that apple juice (with me, anyway) will remove protein from urine (if I have a tendency toward it—and though I don't currently, I had experimented with this many times in the past when I did have such a tendency). Or, I should say, it removes cloudiness from urine. I'm not sure what that means to a person health-wise; I don't know whether it's good or bad, I mean. I used to think it meant that it helped me to digest the protein, but now I'm not so sure. Who knows . . . I tend to think it's a good thing, though.

Other than those things, and maybe a few small stomach ripples in digestion, it seems to have really good effects, too, and it generally makes me feel good.

Arlek Apprentice

So, I'm really curious: which brands of apple juice are *not* gluten-free? Do they list any gluten products in the ingredients? I've never seen apple juice that listed gluten-containing products in the ingredients. So, I want to know if gluten-free is the exception, or if gluten is the exception.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
So, I'm really curious: which brands of apple juice are *not* gluten-free? Do they list any gluten products in the ingredients? I've never seen apple juice that listed gluten-containing products in the ingredients. So, I want to know if gluten-free is the exception, or if gluten is the exception.

Most are going to be fine. If it just lists apples as the ingredient it should be safe but if you see the words 'natural flavors' in the ingredient list do check.

The Fluffy Assassin Enthusiast
I am wondering about apple juice in particular. I just cannot seem to cope with it. I love the taste of it, always have, but it does absolutely nothing for stomach. I am wondering if anyone else has had issues with it has well.

Richard

Wilmington, NC

Edit: Just noticed that the thread is 5 years old, so let me add, "Richard, if you happen to look in on this thread after all this time..."

What issues are you having? People generally don't do a very good job of handling fructose; celiacs are probably worse. I've found that nearly all my diarrhea problems left over after going gluten-free were due to fruit and fruit juice. Gave 'em up and the troubles went away. Fruit juice is a very concentrated source of fructose, and apple juice is pretty nearly the worst (well, the fructosiest anyway). You might try whole fruits instead of fruit juice. If you have a juice jones, low-sodium V8 has less than a third of the sugar of apple juice (still mostly fructose, presumably).

Of course, if your problem is constipation, like Arlek, that's a different thing. But it still might indicate that avoiding fructose (or at least apple juice) is advisable.

Arlek Apprentice
People generally don't do a very good job of handling fructose; … Fruit juice is a very concentrated source of fructose, and apple juice is pretty nearly the worst (well, the fructosiest anyway).

Hmm. If it's an issue with digesting fructose, shouldn't one be able to take certain enzymes to temporarily remove the problem, such as with lactase for lactose? I've never heard of fructase, but there has to be some enzyme or other that will break down fructose. Taking that would seem to help one identify if this is the problem. Any ideas on what the enzyme(s) might be?

Arlek Apprentice
Most are going to be fine. If it just lists apples as the ingredient it should be safe but if you see the words 'natural flavors' in the ingredient list do check.

Ah, thanks for the information. That helps a lot. None of mine list natural flavors or the like. I've mostly been getting the Western Family kind.

Hmm. If it's an issue with digesting fructose, shouldn't one be able to take certain enzymes to temporarily remove the problem, such as with lactase for lactose? I've never heard of fructase, but there has to be some enzyme or other that will break down fructose. Taking that would seem to help one identify if this is the problem. Any ideas on what the enzyme(s) might be?

See if this clears it up:

"Fructose intolerance

Fructose intolerance is not caused by enzyme deficiency in the gut, but an enzyme problem in the liver which means fructose cannot be adequately dealt with. When this occurs, fructose can inhibit the mechanisms by which the liver makes glucose from fats and proteins (the biochemists - this is called glucaneregenesis). The point here is the eating fructose can result in severe hypoglycaemia because as blood sugar levels fall, the liver is unable to correct them. For further information see HYPOGLYCAEMIA."

Open Original Shared Link

JillianLindsay Enthusiast

It could simply be the high acid that is contained in apple juice, orange juice, etc. I have been gluten-free for nearly a month and still can't eat tomatoes and certain acidic foods. It all depends on what kind fo reaction you are having and how long you've been healing. You could always look for a low-acid type and see if that helps :)

Jillian

Richard

Wilmington, NC

hannahp57 Contributor

Have you always had problems with it or just since being gluten free? i am asking because i have had problems with it since well before i started having gluten intolerance symptoms... and i can eat an apple every day with absolutely no issues. a glass of apple juice though will make me sick for a few hours after drinking it. no fun

Arlek Apprentice
Fructose intolerance is not caused by enzyme deficiency in the gut, but an enzyme problem in the liver which means fructose cannot be adequately dealt with.

Still, though, if there are enough enzymes applied to the juice before it gets to the liver, it shouldn't matter if there is a deficiency in the liver (since there won't be any fructose left by then). I'm not saying that this is an ideal situation, as there might be consequences to using those enzymes in such abundance, though. Now, what if they actually put the enzymes in the juice itself

Still, though, if there are enough enzymes applied to the juice before it gets to the liver, it shouldn't matter if there is a deficiency in the liver (since there won't be any fructose left by then). I'm not saying that this is an ideal situation, as there might be consequences to using those enzymes in such abundance, though. Now, what if they actually put the enzymes in the juice itself
  • 7 years later...
jillri Newbie
On 4/3/2004 at 6:28 AM, Lily said:

Knudsen juices are the best, nothing added and taste very good. The apple is my favorite.

Lily

I see there is ascorbic acid in the product. Does this bother you in any way?

cyclinglady Grand Master

@jillri  -- this is a pretty old post, but a great topic.  I do not think the original posters are around. But I will respond!  ?

Absorbic  acid should be fine for a celiac provided you personally do not have an intolerance to it (a recovering gut can have a hard time digesting anything).   Aside from celiac disease, apple juice can be high in Arsenic (per Consumer reports).  So, drink in moderation.  Best to eat a plain apple!  ?

Open Original Shared Link

Archived