33 replies to this topic

#31 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

More good days than bad is VERY good news.

I now notice if I have a bad day, because it happens infrequently. 10.5 months gluten-free.

Keep it up, we are here cheering you on :)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 dani nero

dani nero

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

My immediate family is trying, and asking me more questions on what I can eat and how to prepare when I come over. My outside family, not so much but I chose to distance myself from them on food occasions. I'm definitely learning who my friends are! Not that I need to have social occasions around food and have absolutely no problem preparing my own, but I've been excluded from non-food functions as well. I have (real friends) that are cool with the idea. I am getting tired of explaining the disease and diet, but I remind myself that I didn't know much about celiac disease before diagnosis. Most, I think just want educated on the topic.

I refuse to let the disease define me. I still go out and do my activities when I can and I'm rebuilding my body. When I work out I have to keep "before sickness" body out of my head and focus on what I've got at the present. There's good days and bad days but I do seem to have more good days than bad. So I guess I'm headed in the right direction.

I admire your determination and hope that your good days will always outnumber the bad ones :-)

Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#33 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

I refuse to let the disease define me. I still go out and do my activities when I can and I'm rebuilding my body. When I work out I have to keep "before sickness" body out of my head and focus on what I've got at the present. There's good days and bad days but I do seem to have more good days than bad. So I guess I'm headed in the right direction.

Sorry I took so long to reply to this extra-special response you wrote!!!

I was visiting family and friends after being unable to do so for nearly 5 years and it was just plain AWESOME!! I had a wonderful time, I drove myself ---over 400 round trip miles--- and I ate out in carefully selected places and I brought food with me, too. I had lunch with another c.com member, Gemini and I am in charge of my life and I worked hard to get here. It was not easy, but I focused on recovery and healing and yes, I kept a positive attitude, even when I was in excruciating pain. I kept my eyes on the prize..

You have a most excellent attitude, Bee and I promise you, even if everyone does not "come around". life is still good and believe me, your attitude will most certainly help others in how they respond --in kind--to you.  There will be more and more good days. Celiac and the gluten free diet  is not a death sentence---it is a chance to heal and have a healthy life.

You are, indeed, headed in the right direction, hon. Hang in there!  :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#34 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

I am glad to hear that life has not been rotten to you :-) Mine on the other hand has been beyond rotten. Never works, whether I have a positive or negative attitude. All I ever get is people making faces and throwing opinions regarding my unreal diet, so I learned to simply live without caring about what they think or do. 

It must be nice to be surrounded by understanding, tolerant and nice people, but not everyone gets the luxury IH. If people knew about Celiac without us having to educate every last human we encounter, we wouldn't need to be explaining ourselves as often.

I have my share of people who are negative, too Dani, but I do not really care what  they say. Maybe that's the difference.

I know what I need to do to get well and I have set people straight about it. "Take me or leave me, because this is my life", I say. "This is what I do to be healthy."

I am sorry to hear your life is rotten, hon. I had a horrid rotten run when I was dying from this disease, and my recovery was slow and

difficult, but I simply do not let anyone in my life make it rotten for me by being adversarial with me about the  gluten free diet.

Maybe  you need to stop bothering to educate them and just start saying, This is what I need to do to be healthy. Sorry if you do not understand and I do not need your approval so keep your criticism to yourself, thanks.

Just a suggestion.  :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: