This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do I Need More Test?

niese

niese Explorer

I was diagnose with Celiac through a biopsy about month ago.  My dr then ordered blood work the script said Celiac Panel.  I get the results from that next week when I see him.   I am requesting  he check if I have any vitamin and mineral deficiencies and I want a food allergy test.  What else should I request? 

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

Thyroid disease is in over 10% of celiacs. If you want that checked request:

• TSH - should be near a 1 ore you could be subclinical - and need treatment
  • Free T4 and Free T3 - should be in the 50-75% of your lab's normal reference range
  • TPO Ab - should be pretty low

Some like to get bone density checked too but it's usually not needed.

I can't remember, have you had your kids checked too?

niese Explorer

Thyroid disease is in over 10% of celiacs. If you want that checked request:

• TSH - should be near a 1 ore you could be subclinical - and need treatment
  • Free T4 and Free T3 - should be in the 50-75% of your lab's normal reference range
  • TPO Ab - should be pretty low

Some like to get bone density checked too but it's usually not needed.

I can't remember, have you had your kids checked too?

Thanks for the info, my kids are adults I advised them to be checked especially my daughter I see so many symptoms in her.  My son doesn't want tested.  I can't make them but I wish they would get tested. 

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Thanks for the info, my kids are adults I advised them to be checked especially my daughter I see so many symptoms in her.  My son doesn't want tested.  I can't make them but I wish they would get tested. 

Hang in there.  Some of mine are now being tested.  I just hope they had enough gluten to be positive if they need be!

nvsmom Community Regular

Ah, I thought the little cuties in your avatar were your kids... if they are grandkids, they should be tested too. Chances are evryone is fine but it's good to check it out.  :)

Good luck with your appointment.

niese Explorer

Ah, I thought the little cuties in your avatar were your kids... if they are grandkids, they should be tested too. Chances are evryone is fine but it's good to check it out.  :)

Good luck with your appointment.

Yes those are my grandchildren my oldest 7 and my youngest 1 month.  I advised both their parents to have them tested especially the oldest grandchild she complains alot about her belly hurting and she is a very picky eater eats alot of pasta and gets lots of headaches.  

notme Experienced

i finally convinced my son to get my grandson tested (and figured if he had it, convince my son to eat gluten-free as well because he has digestive issues) and i have no idea what test they did or what the numbers were but the pediatrician told them feeding him gluten-free would actually be detrimental :(  they will probably never get him tested again and the poor kid has been to the emergency room twice already b/c he is so constipated.  it was sooooo sooo so hard to potty train him when his body gives him zero lead time....  :(  

i had a heck of a time learning not to lick my fingers and i have a shared kitchen, too.  i did it without even thinking i had done it ("did i just lick my fingers?  while making a gluten sandwich for somebody else?  surely i didn't......"  lolz)  

but you seem like you have a good idea what you're doing - hope you feel better soon :)  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

niese Explorer

i finally convinced my son to get my grandson tested (and figured if he had it, convince my son to eat gluten-free as well because he has digestive issues) and i have no idea what test they did or what the numbers were but the pediatrician told them feeding him gluten-free would actually be detrimental :(  they will probably never get him tested again and the poor kid has been to the emergency room twice already b/c he is so constipated.  it was sooooo sooo so hard to potty train him when his body gives him zero lead time....   :(

i had a heck of a time learning not to lick my fingers and i have a shared kitchen, too.  i did it without even thinking i had done it ("did i just lick my fingers?  while making a gluten sandwich for somebody else?  surely i didn't......"  lolz)  

but you seem like you have a good idea what you're doing - hope you feel better soon :)

I know what you mean about licking your fingers, I have done that myself but I am getting more conscious of it.  Sorry to hear about your grandson pray he gets well. wow sounds like he had a terrible dr hope they get a second option.  

notme Experienced

I know what you mean about licking your fingers, I have done that myself but I am getting more conscious of it.  Sorry to hear about your grandson pray he gets well. wow sounds like he had a terrible dr hope they get a second option.  

i doubt they will - my son and the kid's mother are not together and i'm sure she doesn't regard my opinion as relevant - the best i may be able to do is get a copy of the test results (but i have asked and not gotten them.  i'm sure she doesn't want to 'fool' with it)  

(i know, right?  liiiick!   oops!!!  spit spit spit spit spit lolz)  <my husband always walks in and says something like, "oh, THAT'S ladylike...."  

here's another one - setting your napkin on the table (in crumbs when sharing a meal with gluten eaters) i always hold my napkin if it's going to wipe my mouth.  or set it in my lap.  or hold it with my elbow.  or put it on my head lolz anything but put it on the (OMGOSH IS THAT CRUMBS??) table. 

niese Explorer

i doubt they will - my son and the kid's mother are not together and i'm sure she doesn't regard my opinion as relevant - the best i may be able to do is get a copy of the test results (but i have asked and not gotten them.  i'm sure she doesn't want to 'fool' with it)  

(i know, right?  liiiick!   oops!!!  spit spit spit spit spit lolz)  <my husband always walks in and says something like, "oh, THAT'S ladylike...."  

here's another one - setting your napkin on the table (in crumbs when sharing a meal with gluten eaters) i always hold my napkin if it's going to wipe my mouth.  or set it in my lap.  or hold it with my elbow.  or put it on my head lolz anything but put it on the (OMGOSH IS THAT CRUMBS??) table. 

Oh my I never gave the napkin a thought, usually it is on my lap.  I did stop putting my fork on the table when I set it.  

Archived