41 replies to this topic

#1 niese

niese

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:05 AM

I am still having symptoms after being gluten-free for almost a month.  I don't know if it's still the healing process or if I am getting CC.  Let me give a little history and hopefully someone can help.  Before my biopsy I had sever abdominal pain, belly burning all the time, chronic diarrhea (15-20 times a day), extreme exhaustion, unexplained body aches.   After biopsy found out I have Celiac plus Microscopic Colitis.  My dr then ordered blood work Celiac Panel, I get the results next week when I see him.  The day after my blood work I started my GFD.  My pain is lower most days I would say around 2-4 before it was 10+, only going to bathroom 3-6 times a day, but still feel run down, body aches not as bad, once in awhile still have belly burning like this morning for instance.  I am very careful in preparing my food.  All my gluten-free food is separate from gluten food.  I do all my own cooking.  I want to share my process to see if I am overlooking something and getting CC.  For starters I live with my husband and his parents and I am the only one on GFD.  Before touching food I clean down all counters and stove.  I use all glass cookware however it is shared by everyone in the house, but I pre-wash before using.  We have a dishwasher so all dishes and cooking utensils go in there.  I wash my hands a million times when handling food.   I do have my own cutting board and colander.  I never cook my food while others are cooking theirs.     I can feel a difference in my body but I wonder if I am getting CC because some days my symptoms are worse then others.  Any advise will be greatly appreciated.  

Have a Bless Day!  :)

Denise

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 funkflex

funkflex

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

Hi niese

This probably takes more time than one month. I myself have been gluten free for 8 months and things have not resolved themselves completely yet, though I am improving.

Your blood levels have probably not normalized yet, that means theres still an infection going on in your body.

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:17 AM

Maybe it could be either one.  I think I had both the first 2-3 months.  Do keep improving your care (What you have done sounds good!), and keep on doing it for longer.  Things should get better over time.  If they continue over more time, there is more one can do.  There will be bumps, turns, and up hills in the meanwhile.  Some of these, one can never figure out.  Some you will.

D

#4 niese

niese

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

Hi niese

This probably takes more time than one month. I myself have been gluten free for 8 months and things have not resolved themselves completely yet, though I am improving.

Your blood levels have probably not normalized yet, that means theres still an infection going on in your body.

That makes sense thank you

Denise

#5 niese

niese

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:10 AM

Maybe it could be either one.  I think I had both the first 2-3 months.  Do keep improving your care (What you have done sounds good!), and keep on doing it for longer.  Things should get better over time.  If they continue over more time, there is more one can do.  There will be bumps, turns, and up hills in the meanwhile.  Some of these, one can never figure out.  Some you will.

D

Thank you, you said if this continues there is more one can do, like what?

Denise

#6 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

There are many more things that you can do, but one month isn't a long time.  You most likely need to give it more time. 

You ask what more one can do.  Some of these apply to a few celiacs.  Some of these apply to hardly any celiacs.

You can change any dishes that might have gluten stuck in scratches or cracks.

You can check toiletries, lotions and soaps for gluten.

You can eliminate all gluten from the house.

You can not cook any gluten containing food.

You can make sure your husband and children brush their teeth before kissing. ..brush their teeth and wash their faces.

You can eliminate all grains.

You can eliminate all processed foods.

I hope that you feel better soon.

You could read through the super sensitive celiac section to get an idea of what some celiacs do in the way of extra precautions.

#7 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

It took 9 months for me to reach some level of predictability. 18 to feel stable.

You'll get there. Don't assume you're doing anything wrong... It does take time.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#8 niese

niese

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

There are many more things that you can do, but one month isn't a long time.  You most likely need to give it more time. 

You ask what more one can do.  Some of these apply to a few celiacs.  Some of these apply to hardly any celiacs.

You can change any dishes that might have gluten stuck in scratches or cracks.

You can check toiletries, lotions and soaps for gluten.

You can eliminate all gluten from the house.

You can not cook any gluten containing food.

You can make sure your husband and children brush their teeth before kissing. ..brush their teeth and wash their faces.

You can eliminate all grains.

You can eliminate all processed foods.

I hope that you feel better soon.

You could read through the super sensitive celiac section to get an idea of what some celiacs do in the way of extra precautions.

Thank you very much for the info

Denise

#9 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

L-Gluitamine is thought to help with intestinal healing early on.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 niese

niese

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

I am taking that been on it for about week now.  Was hard to find a gluten free one in my area but I finally found one. 

Denise

#11 Lori S.

Lori S.

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

Hello. I'm new to this site. This is my first post. I've been gluten free for 13 months. It took me almost 3 months until my stomach got under control. It felt like it was never going to feel better at first. So, hang in there. A lot of other things cleared up during those first few months such as migraine headaches, arrhythmia (atrial flutter), rash, adult acne, hypoglycemia, dizziness, constant fatigue, weakness, and muscle twitches. Now, I can say that I actual feel like a normal person. Howerver, if I get glutened, the symptoms are really terrible and can last for 10 days or more. The terrible stomach burning starts a few hours after being glutened, then nausea, dizziness, foggiest, and weakness. It makes it impossible to exercise. The reason I'm describing all this is because right now I'm experiencing them. I must have eaten something yesterday that had gluten in it. Does anyone have some ideas on how to relieve some of the symptoms of glutening? I hate the suffering. Thanks!

#12 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

There is no evidence for that: http://www.curecelia...ne-to-help-heal

#13 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

Hello. I'm new to this site. This is my first post. I've been gluten free for 13 months. It took me almost 3 months until my stomach got under control. It felt like it was never going to feel better at first. So, hang in there. A lot of other things cleared up during those first few months such as migraine headaches, arrhythmia (atrial flutter), rash, adult acne, hypoglycemia, dizziness, constant fatigue, weakness, and muscle twitches. Now, I can say that I actual feel like a normal person. Howerver, if I get glutened, the symptoms are really terrible and can last for 10 days or more. The terrible stomach burning starts a few hours after being glutened, then nausea, dizziness, foggiest, and weakness. It makes it impossible to exercise. The reason I'm describing all this is because right now I'm experiencing them. I must have eaten something yesterday that had gluten in it. Does anyone have some ideas on how to relieve some of the symptoms of glutening? I hate the suffering. Thanks!

It would be good to start your own post, so as to not slip through the cracks.

Welcome:

D

#14 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:35 AM

There is no evidence for that: http://www.curecelia...ne-to-help-heal

I've read in many books and articles that L-glutamine is helpful in cell renewel and protecting the mucosal layer of the gut. It definitely helps me with muscle repair as I do not get nearly a sore as I wouldhave  after a workout when not taking it.

I have to disagree.

http://www.webmd.com...tName=GLUTAMINE

http://www.umm.edu/a...mine-000307.htm

http://aminoacidstud...rg/l-glutamine/

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#15 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

I've read in many books and articles that L-glutamine is helpful in cell renewel and protecting the mucosal layer of the gut. It definitely helps me with muscle repair as I do not get nearly a sore as I wouldhave  after a workout when not taking it.

I have to disagree.

http://www.webmd.com...tName=GLUTAMINE

http://www.umm.edu/a...mine-000307.htm

http://aminoacidstud...rg/l-glutamine/

The link I gave above from the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center says this: 

"What do you think of using L Glutamine to help heal?

We do not recommend this product because no benefits from it have been documented in rigorous, evidence-based research."

None of the links given in your post are to rigorous, evidence-based research.  If you have some, I would like to see them, and I would send them off to Chicago so that they could make changes to their FAQs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: