41 replies to this topic

#16 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

Considering that the U. of Chicago has stated erroneous information regarding hidden sources of gluten, and they are as mainstream medical as it gets in the US, they wouldn't agree with taking any supplements unless they did research on their own.  There is very little research on supplements because the AMA want people to take FDA approved drugs only...that the medical community and pharmaceutical companies make lots of money off of.  Supplements are often out of their reach and they don't like that.  Lots of people take L-Glutamine for healing and it has helped many, but not all people. Mainstream meds are the same way...they don't help everyone and the only way you are going to know is doing a trial run. L-Glutamine is safe, so doing a trial run is not dangerous and may end up helping someone in the long run.  Many MD's around here recommend it to their patients....real MD's, not the phoney kind.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 niese

niese

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Guess this conversation has turned into L-Glutamine, didn't mean to cause an issue just wanted some advise on if I was still going through healing process or if it could be CC.

Have a Bless Day!  :)

Denise

#18 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:41 AM

I am still having symptoms after being gluten-free for almost a month.  I don't know if it's still the healing process or if I am getting CC.  Let me give a little history and hopefully someone can help.  Before my biopsy I had sever abdominal pain, belly burning all the time, chronic diarrhea (15-20 times a day), extreme exhaustion, unexplained body aches.   After biopsy found out I have Celiac plus Microscopic Colitis.  My dr then ordered blood work Celiac Panel, I get the results next week when I see him.  The day after my blood work I started my GFD.  My pain is lower most days I would say around 2-4 before it was 10+, only going to bathroom 3-6 times a day, but still feel run down, body aches not as bad, once in awhile still have belly burning like this morning for instance.  I am very careful in preparing my food.  All my gluten-free food is separate from gluten food.  I do all my own cooking.  I want to share my process to see if I am overlooking something and getting CC.  For starters I live with my husband and his parents and I am the only one on GFD.  Before touching food I clean down all counters and stove.  I use all glass cookware however it is shared by everyone in the house, but I pre-wash before using.  We have a dishwasher so all dishes and cooking utensils go in there.  I wash my hands a million times when handling food.   I do have my own cutting board and colander.  I never cook my food while others are cooking theirs.     I can feel a difference in my body but I wonder if I am getting CC because some days my symptoms are worse then others.  Any advise will be greatly appreciated.  

niese....1 month is not nearly enough time to see resolution of symptoms, plus you have the added problem of Microscopic Colitis.  This occurs often with Celiac Disease.  The hallmark of MC is diarrhea and it takes a long time for this to resolve sometimes.  I know people with MC and they told me it took months of using an anti-diarrheal to see results.  Your whole intestinal tract is inflammed, in your case, and that is going to make recovery slower.

I would not cut out other gluten-free grains for now because they provide nutrients (if done correctly) and you do not know if you need to. When first diagnosed, go gluten-free and maybe dairy free at first.  If you cut out too much, it will make it harder to pinpoint the culprit or if it is just lots of inflammation.  If your weight is a problem (low) from all that diarrhea, then I would eat some grains to keep weight on.  Having both of these issues may make for a longer recovery so you may have to be more patient.  Do they have you on an anti-diarrheal?  You should be taking one because when you have MC, your body cannot pull water from your waste as your large intestine is too inflammed and the diarrhea will continue.  I am so sorry you are feeling poorly but it will get better, I promise.  It sounds like you are trying hard to not cc yourself and your system sounds good so I really think it's a question of time with recovery.

#19 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

Guess this conversation has turned into L-Glutamine, didn't mean to cause an issue just wanted some advise on if I was still going through healing process or if it could be CC.

You did not cause any issue, niese.  Don't worry about it!

You do have a seperate toaster, don't you?  That's a biggie..... ;)

#20 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

I am still having symptoms after being gluten-free for almost a month.  I don't know if it's still the healing process or if I am getting CC.  Let me give a little history and hopefully someone can help.  Before my biopsy I had sever abdominal pain, belly burning all the time, chronic diarrhea (15-20 times a day), extreme exhaustion, unexplained body aches.   After biopsy found out I have Celiac plus Microscopic Colitis.  My dr then ordered blood work Celiac Panel, I get the results next week when I see him.  The day after my blood work I started my GFD.  My pain is lower most days I would say around 2-4 before it was 10+, only going to bathroom 3-6 times a day, but still feel run down, body aches not as bad, once in awhile still have belly burning like this morning for instance.  I am very careful in preparing my food.  All my gluten-free food is separate from gluten food.  I do all my own cooking.  I want to share my process to see if I am overlooking something and getting CC.  For starters I live with my husband and his parents and I am the only one on GFD.  Before touching food I clean down all counters and stove.  I use all glass cookware however it is shared by everyone in the house, but I pre-wash before using.  We have a dishwasher so all dishes and cooking utensils go in there.  I wash my hands a million times when handling food.   I do have my own cutting board and colander.  I never cook my food while others are cooking theirs.     I can feel a difference in my body but I wonder if I am getting CC because some days my symptoms are worse then others.  Any advise will be greatly appreciated.  

I'm 8 months in, still having lots of troubles with diarrhea and loose bowels, stomach aches come and go now, at least they are not permanent! I share kitchenware too for occasional gluten foods, but really they are very occasional now... it took me 3 months to decide to 'mostly' ban gluten in my house... i couldn't cope from the stress of cc issues and basically just worrying about it every day!

I have seen improvement in other things, like neuropathy, migraines, skin & teeth condition, energy levels etc... 

The biggest lesson to learn, and perhaps one of the hardest for me... Patience and more patience... I reckon it took us all a looooong time to get so ill... It could take a while to get health back...  If there is ANY way of limiting gluten in the kitchen... do it! Even if you ask for one surface top to be yours only. It'll help. Stay strong! Get well soon :)

Diagnosed Celiac Oct 2012 (Blood and Biopsy)
Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013
Vegetarian since 1986 / Asthmatic since 1990 / Migraines since 1998

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

(Marked in bold, these problems have been resolved)

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

It took me 6 months to start to see improvement and remission of bowel symptoms and nearly 15 months to turn a permanent corner.

This is not to say you will not heal faster, ok? It just sometimes takes (older) people longer because of extensive damage.

Do not despair, hon.  One month is just the beginning. You're doing everything RIGHT from what you describe here! :)

My celiac friend, Sherry who also has microscopic colitis benefited GREATLY from taking broad spectrum probiotics.(the MC developed after long doses of antibiotics) and this straightened out her gut flora. She is not living in the bathroom anymore.

I had the same situation and I had no good gut bacteria upon testing after my DX (this is nearly impossible, they told me)

probiotics made me right as rain.

It could help you, too. It certainly can't hurt. Just a suggestion.

Hang in there. Every day is a healing day.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#22 niese

niese

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

niese....1 month is not nearly enough time to see resolution of symptoms, plus you have the added problem of Microscopic Colitis.  This occurs often with Celiac Disease.  The hallmark of MC is diarrhea and it takes a long time for this to resolve sometimes.  I know people with MC and they told me it took months of using an anti-diarrheal to see results.  Your whole intestinal tract is inflammed, in your case, and that is going to make recovery slower.

I would not cut out other gluten-free grains for now because they provide nutrients (if done correctly) and you do not know if you need to. When first diagnosed, go gluten-free and maybe dairy free at first.  If you cut out too much, it will make it harder to pinpoint the culprit or if it is just lots of inflammation.  If your weight is a problem (low) from all that diarrhea, then I would eat some grains to keep weight on.  Having both of these issues may make for a longer recovery so you may have to be more patient.  Do they have you on an anti-diarrheal?  You should be taking one because when you have MC, your body cannot pull water from your waste as your large intestine is too inflammed and the diarrhea will continue.  I am so sorry you are feeling poorly but it will get better, I promise.  It sounds like you are trying hard to not cc yourself and your system sounds good so I really think it's a question of time with recovery.

Thank you for the info, I figured it was prob still the healing process.  Since I have a double whammy large and small intestine issues ur right I just need ride this out.  I can say yesterday was the first time in 2 months I was pain free, today different story but nothing I can't handle.  As far as the diarrhea its now just very loose BM down to 2-4 times day verses 15-20 times of watery diarrhea so looks like I am headed in the right direction.  I have started to notice alot of my symptoms are getting less.  

Denise

#23 niese

niese

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

You did not cause any issue, niese.  Don't worry about it!

You do have a seperate toaster, don't you?  That's a biggie..... ;)

No seperate toaster yet but then again I haven't had bread in over 2 months, refuse to pay those high prices and I haven't had the energy to bake but when I do yes I will be getting one.  My thought is to get a toaster oven however I just know it will be used for gluten food but I figured its easier to clean it out before I use it, any thoughts on that

Denise

#24 niese

niese

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

It took me 6 months to start to see improvement and remission of bowel symptoms and nearly 15 months to turn a permanent corner.

This is not to say you will not heal faster, ok? It just sometimes takes (older) people longer because of extensive damage.

Do not despair, hon.  One month is just the beginning. You're doing everything RIGHT from what you describe here! :)

My celiac friend, Sherry who also has microscopic colitis benefited GREATLY from taking broad spectrum probiotics.(the MC developed after long doses of antibiotics) and this straightened out her gut flora. She is not living in the bathroom anymore.

I had the same situation and I had no good gut bacteria upon testing after my DX (this is nearly impossible, they told me)

probiotics made me right as rain.

It could help you, too. It certainly can't hurt. Just a suggestion.

Hang in there. Every day is a healing day.

thank you, I haven't started a probiotic but I am looking into that it seems I really need.  

Denise

#25 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

thank you, I haven't started a probiotic but I am looking into that it seems I really need.  

That friend I mentioned above also had C.difficile and after taking all the antibiotics, then the MC raged and she was a mess. My intestinal tract was inflamed from mouth to rectum and I believe the probiotics helped reduce the inflammation and get the bowels regulated. I had bowel issues for my entire life. Not any more.

Again, just a suggestion.

Maybe this will shed more light?

http://thefooddoc.com/probiotic_facts

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#26 niese

niese

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

That friend I mentioned above also had C.difficile and after taking all the antibiotics, then the MC raged and she was a mess. My intestinal tract was inflamed from mouth to rectum and I believe the probiotics helped reduce the inflammation and get the bowels regulated. I had bowel issues for my entire life. Not any more.

Again, just a suggestion.

Maybe this will shed more light?

http://thefooddoc.com/probiotic_facts

thank you I learned alot from that, running out to get some probiotics  :)

Denise

#27 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

thank you I learned alot from that, running out to get some probiotics  :)

check them for gluten-free, DF status....and multi-strains! 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#28 niese

niese

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

check them for gluten-free, DF status....and multi-strains! 

confused what is DF status and multi strains mean?

Denise

#29 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

DF means dairy free (you may see that a lot on this site ) 

You want a probiotic that has multi-strains of "good guy" bacteria because there are many that live in our gut and we want to replenish them.

They all have different jobs. For example, Lactobacillus GG is good for diarrhea.

Like this one-- Culturelle:

http://www.walmart.c...wl5=pla&veh=sem

or this one Jarro -Dophilis AF which has several strains

http://www.swansonvi...ion-60-veg-caps

or this  one adult Multi strain

http://www.custompro...ormula-cp-1.htm

I have used all these and they are all good, IMHO

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#30 niese

niese

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

DF means dairy free (you may see that a lot on this site ) 

You want a probiotic that has multi-strains of "good guy" bacteria because there are many that live in our gut and we want to replenish them.

They all have different jobs. For example, Lactobacillus GG is good for diarrhea.

Like this one-- Culturelle:

http://www.walmart.c...wl5=pla&veh=sem

or this one Jarro -Dophilis AF which has several strains

http://www.swansonvi...ion-60-veg-caps

or this  one adult Multi strain

http://www.custompro...ormula-cp-1.htm

I have used all these and they are all good, IMHO

duhh on the DF I just couldn't figure that one out.  Culturelle is the one I had my eye on, only one our Walmart has and it just right on package gluten free so I was happy.

Denise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: