Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

gluten-free In The Poconos

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

We will be spending a week at a lake house in the Poconos later this summer with my 3 year old, who has celiac.  It will be our first time in the area.  I wondered if anyone had any store or restaurant suggestions anywhere in the area.  We are flying into Newark, and I was planning on stopping by a Whole Foods in NJ to pick up supplies on our drive up to the lake.  But I would love any insight other travelers who are more familiar with the area might have.  I haven't been able to find much online other than a pizza place in Milford, PA.

Thank you!!!

Ads by Google:

awwh - it's so pretty up there :)  i used to live right at the bottom of high point mountain in nj, i could throw a rock over the ny state line and the pa state line lolz - there is a nice (used to be free) beach in milford that i used to take my kids to back in the day.  they had a nice picnic area and everything.  we used to go tubing - i believe they still offer that in matamoras where they drop you off and you float back to where your car is.  also, canoeing is so fun if that's something you like.   i will be going up there next month to nj (sparta and oak ridge) to stay with my 'homies' :)  but usually take a ride up through there just for giggles.

anyways, you are in luck!  google mama's baci cafe in hackettstown - the food is FABULOUS the people are awesome and all their servers/cooks, etc are trained and certified (they take a course at the hackettstown hospital)  they have probably the biggest gluten free menu i have ever seen in that area and they can also accommodate other allergies like dairy i'm pretty sure.  when i go up there (or when anyone visits me down here) a visit to mama's is a must!!  their cheesesteaks are primo, and they also sell jars of sauce, pasta, etc if you wanted a lazy night dinner out of a jar.  and they also have pizza  :)  

Thanks so much for your reply!  I just looked up the cafe you mentioned -- it says it's over 40 minutes away from where we will be!  I didn't realize the Poconos area was that large.  (Excuse my ignorance).  We're going to be in Dingmans Ferry, which I understand is a very small, desolate town.  Any chance you might know of anything closer to that area?  It's near Milford, PA.

I'm really looking forward to our vacation. I'm glad you have so much positive things to say about the area.  :)

awwh - it's so pretty up there :)  i used to live right at the bottom of high point mountain in nj, i could throw a rock over the ny state line and the pa state line lolz - there is a nice (used to be free) beach in milford that i used to take my kids to back in the day.  they had a nice picnic area and everything.  we used to go tubing - i believe they still offer that in matamoras where they drop you off and you float back to where your car is.  also, canoeing is so fun if that's something you like.   i will be going up there next month to nj (sparta and oak ridge) to stay with my 'homies' :)  but usually take a ride up through there just for giggles.

anyways, you are in luck!  google mama's baci cafe in hackettstown - the food is FABULOUS the people are awesome and all their servers/cooks, etc are trained and certified (they take a course at the hackettstown hospital)  they have probably the biggest gluten free menu i have ever seen in that area and they can also accommodate other allergies like dairy i'm pretty sure.  when i go up there (or when anyone visits me down here) a visit to mama's is a must!!  their cheesesteaks are primo, and they also sell jars of sauce, pasta, etc if you wanted a lazy night dinner out of a jar.  and they also have pizza   :)

i forget i know allll the back ways and shortcuts up there - yep i bet it's that far from dingman's.  i was thinking you would pass it while you were still on i-80.  any other place i could recommend would be even further (and something i don't trust as well) have a great trip!  and if you find any good places up there i would love to hear about them :)  not to far for a road trip from nj!  bon voyage  ^_^