5 replies to this topic

#1 MissyBB

MissyBB

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:13 AM

First off, I want to say that I am new here to this forum. I also want to say I have not been officially diagnosed with celiac. I think it is important to point that fact out because it bothers me when people think it's "cool" to have the latest and greatest disease process because it undermines those who really do have it. So, no, I have not been officially diagnosed. 

I "fell" into eating gluten-free. Back at the beginning of April my husband wanted to try doing Paleo. I VERY reluctantly agreed. I LOVE bread and things. I see meat as simply the inside of something that is sandwiched between the good stuff - the bread. Anyway, I went along with it.

The first week was HELL. I had the worst "carb flu" ever. I was achy and had a constant headache and felt like death. But.........after that first week I felt GREAT!  I had always had extreme gas, bloating, very loose stools (sorry, TMI), achy hands, insomnia, and a constant situation of  throat-clearing, post-nasal drip and blowing my nose as a result. It was ALL GONE when I stopped eating ANY wheat.

I haven't had wheat since March 31st. It is now June 17th. Two days ago we went to Canada's Wonderland. We packed a lunch. I thought, hey, we can make sandwiches out of some sourdough, that won't be so bad. WRONG! Last night I had the WORST heartburn and gut ache. This morning is a run to the bathroom multiple times day. Ugh. 

I have never been properly diagnosed but I am convinced, now, after lurking on this forum, and reading all your posts, that I do, in fact, have some degree of gluten-intolerance at the very least. Over the years I have suffered:

Achiness

Bloating

Severe Menstrual cramping

Severe anemia

Three miscarriages - one of them second trimester

Gas

Loose stools

Post-nasal drip

Throat clearing (feeling like mucous is constantly in my throat)

Sinusitis -  EVERY time I get a cold I get a sinus infection

Heartburn

Insomnia

I went off the gluten and all of those things disappeared. I just wish there was a test that didn't involve going back ON gluten. I wonder how many people are unknowingly and silently suffering from this. 

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

~Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher (1788 – 1860)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:13 AM

Sounds like your experiment worked, even if that wasn't what you intended.....

It might be worth talking to your doctor about getting tested asap for blood and biopsy. Sometimes it could still pick it up. I didn't last long when I tried to reintroduced gluten for testing. It did convince me I had a gluten problem. I have been diagnosed non celiac gluten intolerant NCGI. Others here are self diagnosed.

Come on in, chat, rant. There is plenty of help to be had here :)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:03 AM

Welcome.  :)

Good for you for figuring out your gluten intolerance!  Not many do. I agree that you might as well get tested ASAP. Your antibody levels still might be high enough to register. Plus, when people go paleo without focusing on going gluten-free, gluten sometimes sneaks in in small places like soy sauce, spices, worchestershire sauce, or other processed foods like a protein bar - that might keep your antibody levels up.

The tests are:

• tTG IgA and tTG IgG
  • DGP IgA and DGP IgG
  • EMA IgA
  • total serum IgA (a control test)
  • AGA IgA and AGA IgG (older tests that find gliadin sensitivity rather than intestinal damage like the above tests)

Best wishes in whatever you decide to do.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 surviormom

surviormom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

Good luck.  

Gluten Free 2012 - Dairy Free 2012 - Acid Reflux Diet 2013

Chronic Gastritis 2013 - Peptic Duodenitis 2013 - Hiatal Hernia 2013 - C-Diff 2013 - Endometriosis 2013 - Uterine Fibroids 2013

Patellar Tendonitis 2013 - Arthritis 2014 - NCGI 2014 - Erosive Esophagitis 2014 - Barretts 2014

I have a long list of physical ailments that were being grouped into age/gender by doctors.

Began Gluten Free and Casein Free after an Allergy Test trying to find answers to health problems that the doctors just were not answering well enough. Looking back through history, I have a lifetime of allergies and gastro issues.

Learn from yesterday, Live for today, and Hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

#5 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

Probably millions of people have a problem and are not willing to give up the bread they eat to find out.  They would rather stay sick. 

FYI...there are many excellent gluten-free breads out there, in case you Jones for a sammy now and again!  ;)

#6 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

Sounds like you're on to something. Great to hear that you're feeling better without wheat, which i'm sure is now without Gluten.

Yes, go get tested for the sake of it. Also get your vitamin levels, etc etc checked out. Talk to your doctor about your symptoms and that you've been feeling better wheat/gluten free. Even if the tests come back negative, you can hopefully get the support you need to go gluten free anyway. Even without an official diagnosis (I was never officially diagnosed either, but considering Celiac is on both sides of my family, I was doomed), as long as you treat yourself as Celiac/Gluten Intolerant, and stick to a strict gluten-free diet, and feel better, then that's as legitimate as anything.

Welcome, and good luck!

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: