Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Culturelle E-Mail

4 posts in this topic

so looking more into casein, I wanted to be sure Culturelle's adult probiotics did not have any.  Here's my exchange with them:

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding Culturelle.  We are pleased to inform you that  Culturelle is free from gluten, lactose, casein and soy.  We wish you great success should you begin on Culturelle.  If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact Consumer Resources toll-free at 1-800-722-3476.

My response: Thanks so much for your reply.  I did notice that on your new adult chewables, it lists that mannitol can come from corn or wheat, but then on the package it says gluten free.  If all wheat has gluten in it, and there is a possibility that this product might be derived from wheat, shouldn't this be labeled not gluten free?  Thanks for any clarification you are able to provide!

Their response:  The mannitol can originally be derived from wheat or corn. However, the mannitol is so ground and processed that the allergen component (protein) is basically removed so the product is considered gluten-free. There is also just a trace amount ( less than 0.1 mg) of mannitol used.

would you take the chewable form or stick with the capsules?  I've got plenty of the capsules left to last me awhile, but I wanted to know everyone's thoughts.

Ads by Google:

I have seen mannitol listed on meds before and companies will either label it as gluten-free or not.  I have used allergy meds with mannitol and, considering how sensitive I am to trace amounts of gluten, I have never gotten sick from it.  It was either derived from corn or the answer you got was based on true information.  There are other products, like glucose syrup, that state the same thing regarding manufacturing and the resultant gluten-free status of their product....highly processed. There is one small catch....mannitol has a laxative effect on the bowel anyway so if you do have GI issues from it, the problem could be from that and not any supposed gluten content.  I think the decision is going to be up to you but I have had mannitol before in meds and had no issues at all.

The Canadian Celiac Association lists mannitol as gluten-free, without concern as to source. It is so highly processed that no protein from the source remains.

It is a sugar alcohol, similar to sorbitol and xylitol, all of which can have laxative properties when taken in large amounts.

thanks for helping to clear up my confusion!