3 replies to this topic

#1 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

so looking more into casein, I wanted to be sure Culturelle's adult probiotics did not have any.  Here's my exchange with them:

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding Culturelle.  We are pleased to inform you that  Culturelle is free from gluten, lactose, casein and soy.  We wish you great success should you begin on Culturelle.  If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact Consumer Resources toll-free at 1-800-722-3476.

My response: Thanks so much for your reply.  I did notice that on your new adult chewables, it lists that mannitol can come from corn or wheat, but then on the package it says gluten free.  If all wheat has gluten in it, and there is a possibility that this product might be derived from wheat, shouldn't this be labeled not gluten free?  Thanks for any clarification you are able to provide!

Their response:  The mannitol can originally be derived from wheat or corn. However, the mannitol is so ground and processed that the allergen component (protein) is basically removed so the product is considered gluten-free. There is also just a trace amount ( less than 0.1 mg) of mannitol used.

would you take the chewable form or stick with the capsules?  I've got plenty of the capsules left to last me awhile, but I wanted to know everyone's thoughts.

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

I have seen mannitol listed on meds before and companies will either label it as gluten-free or not.  I have used allergy meds with mannitol and, considering how sensitive I am to trace amounts of gluten, I have never gotten sick from it.  It was either derived from corn or the answer you got was based on true information.  There are other products, like glucose syrup, that state the same thing regarding manufacturing and the resultant gluten-free status of their product....highly processed. There is one small catch....mannitol has a laxative effect on the bowel anyway so if you do have GI issues from it, the problem could be from that and not any supposed gluten content.  I think the decision is going to be up to you but I have had mannitol before in meds and had no issues at all.

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

The Canadian Celiac Association lists mannitol as gluten-free, without concern as to source. It is so highly processed that no protein from the source remains.

It is a sugar alcohol, similar to sorbitol and xylitol, all of which can have laxative properties when taken in large amounts.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

thanks for helping to clear up my confusion!

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: