5 replies to this topic

#1 llreynolds50

llreynolds50

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

Hello everyone. I'm new here, and I probably don't even have celiac disease but I have a few questions and I'm hoping someone can help.

I recently requested a blood test for celiac disease. I have a few relevant symptoms, and I have a close family member who has several symptoms as well. The test came back "normal" (I don't know the details, the receptionist told me this over the phone) but I am unable to let the whole idea go. I had removed most of the gluten from my diet two or three months before I had the test done, and I started eating it again five days beforehand. I know now from reading articles online that it wasn't long enough to make the result accurate. Also, when people say that steroid use skews the test, what exactly does that mean? I take a corticosteroid inhaler for my asthma, two puffs once a day. I have taken this medication daily for many years. Is that enough for the steroid to be in my bloodstream? If so, should my doctor have advised me to stop taking the inhaler before the test?

I'm not sure what to do now. I could continue to eat wheat, stop taking my inhaler and then have the test redone (assuming my doctor will give me another requisition) or I could continue to experiment with a gluten-free diet on my own and assume I am "gluten sensitive" in a way that can't be measured by the test.

Has anyone here had the blood test redone after preparing for it properly and had different results?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:59 AM

It is possible that your period of being gluten-free could have caused a false negative in your results. Some people's blood work goes back to normal fairly quickly whereas in others in can take years. Also, many doctors will just run a tTG IgA and the total serum IgA control test, that tTG test has a sensitivity of 75-95% which means it can miss 5-25% of all celiacs. See page 12 of this report (a good read): http://www.worldgast...long_FINAL.pdf  You might want to make sure you had more than just one test run.

You would have to resume eating a couple of helpings of gluten per day for about 2 months to get an accurate test; requirements for a gluten challenge range from 1-4 slices of bread per day for 1-3 months.

I don't know how steroids will affect the test. Perhaps the lab could tell you?

I can't answer you question. Hopefully someone else has had your experience.  Best wishes.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 llreynolds50

llreynolds50

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for your help! I hadn't thought of asking the lab, it's a good idea.

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

http://www.curecelia...o-be-inaccurate

Would taking steroids cause the blood tests to be inaccurate?
Yes, but only if you have been taking steroids for a prolonged period of time.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 llreynolds50

llreynolds50

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

Thank you! I have been taking the medication for years, for my asthma. They say that inhaled steroids only go to your lungs but that can't be true because long term use causes side effects in other parts of your body (eyes, bones etc.)  So it must be in the bloodstream. I'll ask the lab about it. Thanks!

#6 Guest_myjade_84_*

Guest_myjade_84_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

I am also planning to undergo blood test for Celiac. But i have this fear that the test might not be reliable. But still i will do it and i won't change my diet yet. Maybe you should go back also on eating bread and then try the test again to be sure. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: