Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Periods Aches!

18 posts in this topic

Hi there

Just a quickie...

Before dx 8 mths ago I had light periods every 21ish days... But i'm pretty sure I'd stopped ovulating.

Now, gluten-free 8 mths, periods are 'normal'... every 27-28 days, boobs grew back (they'd disappeared!)...and I'm sure I am ovulating again... BUT (there's always a but!!) I have been suffering the last 3 periods with really achy legs???

I have never had achy legs before with a period? I get the achy back and mild cramping, but nothing dreadful, the last 3 periods have wiped me out too... It feels a bit like a mild flu, hips thighs and knees.

Anyone had anything similar?

Many thanks

Ads by Google:

I used to get bone aches during my periods.  I'm not sure what it is but I know hormones can cause fluid retention and maybe that is it? 

I used to get bone aches during my periods.  I'm not sure what it is but I know hormones can cause fluid retention and maybe that is it? 

Yeah, I guess I get a bit bloated too actually... Now that you come to mention it... I suppose it feels kinda boney?! It's really hard to distinguish! Its just dull and achy!! And horrible.

Hiya

I had terrible heavy periods before gluten-free, with migraine, 2 days of cramping, often a day in bed, aching from armpits to knees, PMS for a week before, plus ovulation pain.

It improved when I went gluten-free, lighter, less pain. When I went paleo the first month was terrible again. After that, I have made sure I had extra startch for 2-3 days before I was due, and have been much better, to the extent that I have to keep a note of when I am due, as it can creep up on me. This NEVER happened before!!

This month, I was a bit hardcore, trying to lose some more weight, and didn't follow my extra startch rule, and have had a worse period again this week.

So, back to a nice big jacket potato for 3 days before I am due next month.

Good luck :rolleyes:

I have been in terrible pain with my periods since I went gluten-free. For one day or two days I am totally wiped out, dizzy, sickly, doubled up with tummy pain but my main new symptom is severe pain down my thighs to the knees..Im dreading the next one and was wondering if it was something more serious.

Sorry you are going through it as well and hope it settles down soon.

I didnt know about the extra starch CMW, so I'll give it ago.

Since I was 12, my cramps have been extremely painful. The last two years my back, legs, hips and boobs become exceedingly tender. So sore that even having a shower hurts badly. So, I sympathize with what you go through.

it's only my 4th period gluten-free, so I am very hopeful things will improve.  My boobs were never sore pre-gluten-free, so maybe that's my new signal that it's coming because they have hurt before each one since going gluten free. I'm two days into this one, and I have had painful cramps today.  my period also came 8 days early...yuck  :o

a little back story...i was on Yaz from October 2009 until December 2011.  Once I stopped that I called my ob/gyn in May of 2012 to say that I hadn't had a period since December, so I had to take the provera pill to start it.  I had always been fairly regular before the pill, and I had taken another BC pill before and my period returned normally after that time.  S...l...o...w...l...y since May of last year my period has been trying to normalize itself.  In time, in time  :)

edit:  I meant to add I also felt nauseous this morning, and I never get that feeling.

I discovered the starch thing by accident. It is the 3 days I used to eat chocolate but can't any more!! Who'da thought potato would replace chocolate....

I discovered the starch thing by accident. It is the 3 days I used to eat chocolate but can't any more!! Who'da thought potato would replace chocolate....

Nothing can replace chocolate!! Do I have to cut it out? Can't I just eat starch/potatoes as well ? Please?? ... I NEED chocolate for my mood lol :)

Nothing can replace chocolate!! Do I have to cut it out? Can't I just eat starch/potatoes as well ? Please?? ... I NEED chocolate for my mood lol :)

You and I can eat chocolate.  CMW seems to have been cursed and cannot eat chocolate.  Poor thing!  :(

You and I can eat chocolate. CMW seems to have been cursed and cannot eat chocolate. Poor thing! :(

Awww sorry CMW....could Carob be an alternative? I've just had a 9bar (gluten free/dairy free) and it was yum !

I went cold turkey and I am dealing with it. Better than all the rubbish it brings :)

If you can eat it, go ahead (maybe when I am not in the room :) )

Omg, I'm not the only one then... As much as I know how crap it is, I am comforted that there are others.

Potato! Funnily enough, my diet (which due to many many intolerances) is restricted... BUT I loaded up on the humble potato before my period, and for 3 days I actually ate a baked potato with a veggie rice!! Double starch!! I craved it baaaad! I can't tolerate much choc, a little... so I do have a square... but thats it.

Veggie Gal, I am like you, feeling wiped, nauseous... feeling like an intravenous sugar drip needs to be inserted... Felt like total crud, a day or two in bed would've been sooo a welcome, if only. Yesterday I spent all evening snivelling. My tummy and back ache is average I'd say, hurts but I can function... but the legs... like you... from hips to knees?? Its weird, NEVER EVER had it before and I too was also wondering if it was something more serious?

What could it be?

I am day 4-5 period wise now, aches and pains still there though slightly better... but today I had a little more energy. Ugh. I'm sure the adrenals, hormones, thyroid all work together... I am going to look into it! I have been doing my usual horror story scenario and been crying today (I do this when something else happens to me, ALWAYS think the worst).

Can anyone please tell me where to buy a positive attitude? :)

Ps. I know endometriosis may cause bad pain in legs, and abdomen... and when I had a quick scan on yesterday, apparently you are supposed to report any leg pain during period to your doctor. Which in itself fills me with dread... (having to talk to my doctor)

Ps. I know endometriosis may cause bad pain in legs, and abdomen... and when I had a quick scan on yesterday, apparently you are supposed to report any leg pain during period to your doctor. Which in itself fills me with dread... (having to talk to my doctor)

I'll mention it to my doctor...like you I always think the worst, but best to get it checked.

Ps. If you find out where to get a PMA, please let me know :)

CMW/DS.... if you miss chocolate, have a look into carob, its also got some health benefits.

I'll mention it to my doctor...like you I always think the worst, but best to get it checked.

Ps. If you find out where to get a PMA, please let me know :)

CMW/DS.... if you miss chocolate, have a look into carob, its also got some health benefits.

Ok, let me know what your doc thinks... I'll do the same and post back (wont be for about a week or so), like you say... best to get it checked out hey? :) and let me know if the potato helps you... I'll eat 5 if have to? 

PMA anyone... somebody heeeeeeelllllllp!!!! 

Aaaaaaaaaarrgh!

Hi there

Just a quickie...

Before dx 8 mths ago I had light periods every 21ish days... But i'm pretty sure I'd stopped ovulating.

Now, gluten-free 8 mths, periods are 'normal'... every 27-28 days, boobs grew back (they'd disappeared!)...and I'm sure I am ovulating again... BUT (there's always a but!!) I have been suffering the last 3 periods with really achy legs???

I have never had achy legs before with a period? I get the achy back and mild cramping, but nothing dreadful, the last 3 periods have wiped me out too... It feels a bit like a mild flu, hips thighs and knees.

Anyone had anything similar?

Many thanks

I always have aches in my legs when its that time of the month. They are horrible! I have horrible cramps and extremely heavy periods. My legs hurt to the touch. Im hoping that it will get better in a few months from going gluten free (I was only diagnosed last month)..I always figured it was fluid retention

My leg pains only got unbearable after going gluten-free so I'm seeing doctor next week, but i'll try this....(unfortunately, I'm not sure I can take ibuprofen due to asthma).

Following info from  https://www.ubykotex.com/get-the-facts/question?id=83143 ........

If you can predict a day or two ahead of when your period usually starts, you can lessen or prevent these leg cramps by taking ibuprofen. The cramps are due to prostaglandins that are being released by your body to help shed the lining in your uterus and bring about your period. Unfortunately, prostaglandins don’t just affect the uterine muscles, but can cause cramps in other muscles too. By taking the ibuprofen before you even have cramps, you prevent the prostaglandins from having a place to attach to the muscle and cause cramps