Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten Free Heaven And Donuts!

34 posts in this topic

http://glutenfreeheaven.com/

Okay, so I said I would share and here it is. This woman is absolutely amazing. This weekend I had the chance to try her bread, which tasted like bread. (I'm admittedly lazy and will continue to buy bread.) But that isn't what is special.

Special is the donuts. I thought I would die right there on the spot when I popped a little fresh fried donut in my mouth. I could have stood there all afternoon and eaten them until I was sick. My gluten eating husband says they were amazing too.

I brought home a package of donut mix and red velvet cake mix and will probably make the cake sometime this week and I'm sure will report back that it was as great as the donuts.

Anyway, I can not say enough good things about how wonderful her things were that I tried, the donuts most of all. And I pointed this out in another thread I believe, but Betty Crocker also was so impressed with her biscuit mix that it is the new and improved (as in, not so sucky) gluten free Bisquick. So go, get yourself some donuts, and be happy!

Ads by Google:

frozen pie crust???!!!!  shuuut.  UP!  :D  

nom nom nom nommmmmm......  

I'm spoiled, I don't even have to pay for shipping. I can just email or call her and drive on up to her house or have her drop it off while she's down my way. But yes, frozen pie crusts. And for the lazy days, the donuts come frozen and ready to defrost and fry!

Are they anything like Krispy Kreme donuts or like cake donuts?

Edited to add, forget the question, she doesn't ship.

I'm sure that if there is enough interest outside the area she would start doing shipping right on her site, or if you email her she can quote you a shipping price. The bags aren't very large and I mail things to my kids all the time using those flat rate postal boxes, which I think are $12.95 for a medium box. Right now I only have the skinny boxes and none of the more square ones, but you could probably fit a a half dozen mixes in a box, maybe a few more at that price. Or maybe it would be cheaper to do "regular" shipping, I don't know. I don't mess with that nonsense because I like the 2 day stuff.

The donuts are like a glazed donut from Dunkin Donuts. I was never familiar with Krispy Kreme, I ate one once and frankly hated it.

Just saw this as a link on her site on the bottom left under information "shipping & returns" http://www.glutenfreeheaven.com/~glutenfr/shipping.php

I would just use the contact us page and ask about having an order shipped and the cost. Her website is brand new (as in set up just this weekend) even though she has been in business for a fairly long time and she may not have a shipping option set up yet.

Looks like good prices. The doughnuts intrigue me. Are they light and puffy and airy or cakey? That has sort of been asked but we want DETAILS!!! The other stuff is easy to make but doughnuts are not (gluten free). But the convenience would sometimes be awesome. Spill it!

Looks like good prices. The doughnuts intrigue me. Are they light and puffy and airy or cakey? That has sort of been asked but we want DETAILS!!! The other stuff is easy to make but doughnuts are not (gluten free). But the convenience would sometimes be awesome. Spill it!

They're puffy! Like if you bite one in half the inside looks just like a Dunkin Donuts donut. And it melts in your mouth in the same way and has just the same amount of melty/chewiness.

omg... now I don't know if I should make my cake or donuts first!

They're puffy! Like if you bite one in half the inside looks just like a Dunkin Donuts donut. And it melts in your mouth in the same way and has just the same amount of melty/chewiness.

omg... now I don't know if I should make my cake or donuts first!

I have never had a dunkin doughnut before, just Tim Horton's and homemade.

You had me at puffy.

One more reason that Utah is the best ever place to live! World's best gluten free donuts. :D I'm gonna get so fat.

Man, I would, too! Well, I already do have some extra adipose tissue I would not mind parting with.

:( boo. Cornstarch......

Awell....glad they are getting good reviews.

This thread is so funny!!!!!!!  Now, sitting here in New England, where DD's started, I can still taste a donut and it's been over 8 years since I had a gluten one.  You do realize, Addy, that your address will become a gluten free stop on any Celiac's road tour of the West?  I have wanted to come to Utah and now I have an added reason....donuts that are ready for the hot oil!

Just stop up in Lehi, pick up the donuts, call me and swing on down to fry them. As long as you're sharing the donuts I'll give you an uncontaminated fryer to use! :D

Or you know... just use the "contact us" link and ask her how to get the mix sent to your house. Since the website is brand new I'm guessing that that could be why it doesn't have that set up yet.

I was lucky enough to have my first gluten-free doughnut a couple weeks ago, from a gluten-free/vegan bakery here in toronto. More cakey than fry-ey, but ooohhhh sooooo goooood! Good thing this place is a bit out of the way for me, or I might end up with a doughnut habit.

They also had pretty fantastic gluten-free/vegan bread. Aparently the baker went through over a dozen recipes before figuring out what worked.

Anyway, if I'm ever in Utah, I'll look this up.

If you're ever in Toronto, go all the way east on Queen St to Tori's Bakeshop in the Beaches. A little $$ but so so worth it.

Also, gluten-free red velvet cake would be awesome

They're just mixes that you fry up yourself, so you could theoretically just form that habit anyway from all the way up there. :P

I don't think I'll ever see the shipping option on her website because I live to close to ever have that option. It would truly be cheaper for her to take a day to deliver south in this area than to mail everything. Plus all the health food stores are down here. :lol: But yeah, just get some donut mix shipped on up to you. It says it makes something between a dozen and a half and two dozen donuts if I remember correctly. Where else you going to get that many donuts for $4?

Shipping info is there - I just ordered the red velvet cake mix!!

I'm going to give fair warning on the cake mix. I made mine into cupcakes last night. In the past when I have made gluten free cupcakes they puff up just a little so when I made these I expected the same thing. Instead it performed exactly as a gluten cake batter and raised as I would have expected a gluten cake to. So if you make cupcakes, leave room! Eek! Overfull or not, they're still yummy though.

And don't do what I did. I forgot to go out and buy cream cheese to make frosting. :ph34r: I'm stuck with regular buttercream on red velvet. That should be a crime.

I'm going to give fair warning on the cake mix. I made mine into cupcakes last night. In the past when I have made gluten free cupcakes they puff up just a little so when I made these I expected the same thing. Instead it performed exactly as a gluten cake batter and raised as I would have expected a gluten cake to. So if you make cupcakes, leave room! Eek! Overfull or not, they're still yummy though.

And don't do what I did. I forgot to go out and buy cream cheese to make frosting. :ph34r: I'm stuck with regular buttercream on red velvet. That should be a crime.

Thanks for the tip! I will make sure I leave room and that I have the proper frosting! I don't think the buttercream on red velvet is a crime bc I happen to really like buttercream!

I'll let you know when I get my package

I am fortunate that my friend who owns a gluten-free bakery makes donuts on Fridays.

Glazed, Boston creme with chocolate frosting. lemon filled and a strawberry frosted number with sprinkles that kids like.

I have tried them on occasion and they are soft and squishy and puffy, but if I continue to indulge, that is how they will describe me

"soft, squishy, and puffy".

:unsure:

I made a mistake, there is no shipping frozen items. So.....I ordered the donut mix. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

FYI guys, red velvet cake is one of the easiest recipes to convert to gluten-free IF you can tolerate milk. I used my old recipe, since it uses buttermilk and vinegar...subbing gluten-free flour and xanthan and there's literally no difference.

I've found most gluten-free recipes don't use buttermilk or vinegar or cocoa...which to me is NOT a red velvet cake. Club soda *may* be a sub for buttermilk. I've been meaning to try but haven't yet....

Anyway, I've been thinking of trying buttermilk donuts since I've found buttermilk makes such a huge difference in baking gluten-free (where I use it).

Yes, some recipes are easy. Still... when a mix is as simple as this with as few ingredients and has what I would probably add if I made it myself? Plus the simplicity of having something around the house I can just keep in the pantry for an emergency to throw buttermilk at and have cake? Yes please. I do usually prefer to bake from scratch, really, but frankly it is just tiring sometimes to measure 600 kinds of flour for one cake. And I don't use any AP flours because of the ones I've found they all either have something in them I can't have or I just plain old don't like them because of taste or texture. I've also only ever turned out a gluten free cake batter that performs like a gluten free cake batter. Having one that performs like a gluten cake batter and tastes like this does is more than enough to part me with my $4 again and again. I can't imagine I'll make red velvet cupcakes more than 2-3 times a year.

Donuts on the other hand. She'll probably part me with a fair amount of cash over that one...

Mmmmm. Drooling.

I've never made donuts before. Donut virgin. But I think today is a good day to try. Must google... What oil is best for frying donuts in?

I keep peanut oil in my fryer. I don't know if there is a best. I suppose you could start calling local Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kremes and see what they use.