#16 frieze

frieze

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:14 AM

wa

Puberty - they want to separate from their parents.  Maybe you could goggle the mental effects of a child with a chronic illness.  I like how Tarnelberry phrased it as an explanation for why you need to see someone.

I'm sorry.  I'm only pushing this because that does not sound like normal 9 year old behavior.  You even said that she used to like to do things and she doesn't now.  I'm worried about her. 

they want to control, and isn't she?  she is getting everything she wants.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 LFitts

LFitts

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:56 AM

And last, because im a broken record, have they thoroughly tested her thyroid? Thyroid disease is autoimmune, like Celiac, and they like to run together. Withdrawal and mood changes are common thyroid symptoms. I assume a decent therapist would suggest it before treating her with other drugs.

Actually her thyroid function never has been tested. She goes for follow-up blood work in a couple of weeks, so I will see if they can check that then.

9 year old daughter diagnosed celiac November / December 2012
Postive endoscopy / biopsy, positive antibody test, positive genetic test

She's been gluten free since diagnosis. I've been gluten free with her since Jan 2013.

#18 LFitts

LFitts

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:58 AM

they want to control, and isn't she?  she is getting everything she wants.

She is getting everything she wants.
 How can you tell the difference between a spoiled brat that you've given in to too much, and a sick child that needs additional nurturing in order to feel safe in the world?? This parenting gig is TOUGH.

She's been gluten free since diagnosis. I've been gluten free with her since Jan 2013.

#19 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:49 AM

She is getting everything she wants.
 How can you tell the difference between a spoiled brat that you've given in to too much, and a sick child that needs additional nurturing in order to feel safe in the world?? This parenting gig is TOUGH.

Good question.  It is tough.  Even in the absence of illness, children go through phases.  "Experts" have contradicting ideas about what to do.  I tend to listen to my gut.  As parents, we are closest to the problem and understand our children best.

#20 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:57 AM

they want to control, and isn't she? she is getting everything she wants.

Actually, in my opinion and experience, puberty isn't exactly about control. It's about independence. It's about having control over themselves and their life and making some choices for themselves. Letting mom make all the decisions isn't puberty. Being afraid she will get sick or die if she leaves mom, isn't puberty.

I can see this mom doesn't like the idea of getting some counseling ( not saying drugs) for her and her daughter to help them get over this hump. I hope it works out Ok for the child and she isn't unhappy for very long.

What I am trying to say is- there is an adjustment from being a sick child to being a well child. There is an adjustment from being a parent of a sick child to being the parent of a well child. Some kids and parents adjust better than others. It is no shame to get a little help with the adjustment.

Edited by kareng, 19 June 2013 - 06:01 AM.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#21 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

Hi LFitts,

It sounds like she has a great diet environment.

Maybe you can try a test to see if she is having pain or discomfort she isn't expressing?  Some of the things I do if I have a glutening are:

1 Take peppermint tea or Peppermint Altoids.
2 Take aspirin or other pain releiver.
3 Take Pepto Bismol.

Peppermint helps get gas out of the stomach.  Gas trapped in the stomach can cause discomfort.

Aspirin reduces pain.

Pepto Bismol tends to reduce gut pain.

Pepto Bismol can cause stool to turn black, which isn't a problem, Just something to be aware of so it's not a worry.  Usually black stool indicates bleeding in the gut.  But the pink color of the Pepto Bismol results in a black color when mixed with the normal stool color.  It's just a temporary effect.

If she takes some aspirin (or other pain reliever), drinks some peppermint tea and takes some Pepto, she may feel better if she is having a pain or discomfort situation.  If you do all these things for her and she behaves more positively after an hour or so that might be a clue.

The idea of testing her thyroid function is a good one IMHO.  Having her talk to a counseler of some sort isn't going to hurt her I don't think.  It just seems the physical issues should be explored first or at the same time.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#22 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Hi LFitts,

It sounds like she has a great diet environment.

Maybe you can try a test to see if she is having pain or discomfort she isn't expressing?  Some of the things I do if I have a glutening are:

1 Take peppermint tea or Peppermint Altoids.
2 Take aspirin or other pain releiver.
3 Take Pepto Bismol.

Peppermint helps get gas out of the stomach.  Gas trapped in the stomach can cause discomfort.

Aspirin reduces pain.

Pepto Bismol tends to reduce gut pain.

Pepto Bismol can cause stool to turn black, which isn't a problem, Just something to be aware of so it's not a worry.  Usually black stool indicates bleeding in the gut.  But the pink color of the Pepto Bismol results in a black color when mixed with the normal stool color.  It's just a temporary effect.

If she takes some aspirin (or other pain reliever), drinks some peppermint tea and takes some Pepto, she may feel better if she is having a pain or discomfort situation.  If you do all these things for her and she behaves more positively after an hour or so that might be a clue.

The idea of testing her thyroid function is a good one IMHO.  Having her talk to a counseler of some sort isn't going to hurt her I don't think.  It just seems the physical issues should be explored first or at the same time.

Careful!  No aspirin for kids and that includes Pepto Bismol (contains aspirin)  to avoid Reye's Syndrome (can be very dangerous).   

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#23 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

Careful!  No aspirin for kids and that includes Pepto Bismol (contains aspirin)  to avoid Reye's Syndrome (can be very dangerous).   

Good point!  Is there a safer alternative she could use that you are aware of?

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#24 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:15 PM

Good point!  Is there a safer alternative she could use that you are aware of?

Not sure about the peppermint tea for kids, but it's good for adults.  Ibuprofen or Tylenol are safe choices for most kids.   I'd try Tylenol first.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#25 LFitts

LFitts

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

I can see this mom doesn't like the idea of getting some counseling ( not saying drugs) for her and her daughter to help them get over this hump.

Not sure how I gave that impression because I am definitely interested on getting help. A pediatric therapist might be very good for us, but we are quite far from any services like that. I want to ask the GI Doc for a recommendation when we go back in a couple if weeks. I don't even know of anyone whose child is in counseling of any kind in the rural area where we live.

I'm thankful for all the suggestions. We have no improvement except in my attitude.

#26 LFitts

LFitts

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

Not sure about the peppermint tea for kids, but it's good for adults. Ibuprofen or Tylenol are safe choices for most kids. I'd try Tylenol first.

She loves both peppermint tea and camomile tea. I really didn't realize that Pepto had aspirin in it! We have generally avoided pain killers except for children's Tylenol.

#27 mommy2krj

mommy2krj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

I had to go looking about Pepto having aspirin in it. Never heard that it did before! So here is what I found on their own website:

The cause of Reye's syndrome is still not understood despite a tremendous amount of research. However, the Health Canada warning for aspirin and non-aspirin-containing products states, "Children and teenagers should not use this medicine for chicken pox or flu symptoms before a doctor is consulted about Reye's syndrome, a rare but serious illness reported to be associated with aspirin." There is no aspirin in Pepto-Bismol. The active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol is bismuth subsalicylate, a non-aspirin salicylate. Salicylates are commonly used as flavouring agents in food (wintergreen). The United States Food & Drug Administration's OTC Final Anti-Diarrheal Monograph states that there is no definitive evidence that associates use of non-aspirin salicylates with an increased risk of Reye's syndrome.

P&G has voluntarily included a Reye's syndrome label warning since 1985. P&G includes this label warning to encourage consumers and parents to consult a doctor for children and teenagers who have or are recovering from the flu or chicken pox, if nausea or vomiting occurs. These symptoms can be an early sign of Reye's syndrome, a rare but serious illness. Those suffering from Reye's syndrome should contact a doctor as soon as possible.

I wanted to post that information because I've used Pepto  myself when I was a kid and I've used it with my own kids. Never once has a doctor said anything about it to me either. Interesting things you learn every day!

#28 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

The main ingredient is not asprin. Rather, the main ingredient is chemically similar to it.

On another side note, those who are allergic to NSAIDS should not take the product because of this.

#29 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:45 AM

Peptol-Bismol is not recommended for children due to Reyes Syndrome.  http://www.nlm.nih.g...icle/001565.htm

#30 mommy2krj

mommy2krj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

Oh...I wasn't disagreeing...just posting the info I found because it was news to me. I've used Pepto with 2 of my kids (who are 18 and 15) before with the doctor's knowledge/go ahead...when they were much younger. I wasn't being argumentative....I just hadn't ever been educated on that aspect of Pepto before. Good knowledge to have and now I know not to give it to my little guy.

I know I was always given Pepto as a kid...I know because usually within half an hour of getting Pepto...I'd puke. Every.Time.

Now I'll stick to sucking on peppermints or drinking the tea (though I usually only drink the tea when I have a cold).

I find it interesting to learn new things about products that have been around forever. It was always around when I was a kid and it never crossed my mind to question if it was ok to give to my kids. Never would have thought about the aspirin aspect at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: