Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Bruises

10 posts in this topic

so I have been doing pretty well since being diagnosed with Celiac and following a gluten free lifestyle. It has been a relief since i was sick for years and could never figure out why. About a month ago i came across Gluten Cutter pills in my local pharmacy. I tried them out over my honey moon last month and they worked great. It was nice to be able to eat something i havne't been able to in months and thought maybe once in awhile when i wanted to cheat i could take a couple. i still got itchy after eating something i wasnt suppose to but never any stomach problems or any other issues. well here i am a month later and went camping with my children and husband last weekend and decided to take a couple pills and enjoy 1 s'more with my kids. The next day i woke up super itchy and covered in 30-40 bruises over both my legs, my joints are aching and i have been extremely tired for the last couple days. Could this be a reaction to the gluten or should i worry this is being cause by soemthing else?

Ads by Google:

Oh Hon, I'm sorry but there is no pill available that will make it safe for a celiac to eat gluten. I guess you are finding that out now. The bruises are probably from scratching the DH. Unfortunately, that DH can flare for up to two years even if you don't eat gluten. You should stay STRICTLY gluten-free, go easy on the iodine (because it can make DH flare) and I hate to sound harsh, but you need to stop looking for ways to cheat. Even if you DON'T get digestive symptoms, you are still doing damage that can lead to all sorts or other autoimmune diseases including lupus, arthritis, and even cancer. Please, please, please, take care of your self. Don't take chances like that. No glutenous food is worth it, especially when there are gluten-free alternatives to just about anything you could want.

Well thanks for the info....I didn't realize all of that. I have kind of just been learning about Celiac disease as I go all the do's and the don'ts and here i thought i was doing good lol. i'm sure this will sound completely stupid but what is DH?

Obviously, your doctor didn't tell you anything.  A diagnosed Celiac cannot eat any gluten.  You will accidentally get some in your life but you should never try to eat any. 

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/living-with-celiac/guide/treatment

A lifetime commitment

The gluten-free diet is a lifetime requirement. Eating any gluten, no matter how small an amount, can damage your intestine. This is true for anyone with the disease, including people who do not have noticeable symptoms.

Please read the newbie thread for some basic info.

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

Dermatitis Herpetiformis. It is an extremely itchy rash that some celiacs get. It is horrible. They sometimes call it "the suicide rash". There is a whole section in this forum didicated to it. You need to go there and read up on it. And you should go to the "Newbie 101" thread too. It will help you learn how to cope with going truly gluten-free.

Then maybe you should check out the breakfast/lunch/dinner threads. There are recipes for anything you might want to cook. And there is also a thread for gluten-free products. Have you bee to a health food store yet? gluten-free products are expensive, but there are some EXTREMELY good ones out there. If you can find Udi's Double Chocolate Muffins I promise you will love them. They make some pretty good bread too. There are cookies and gluten-free cake mixes and all sorts of yummy things.

Read as much as you can here. There are so many great folks here who really know what they are talking about. Ask lots of questions and you will get good answers. And please realize that celiacs need to go gluten-free for life. No cheating. EVER. It sounds hard and scary and depressing, but you will feel so much better and I promise, after a while it will become so natural that until you go to a restaurant, you'll never even think about it.

:)

As a matter of fact, there are some restaurants that have gluten-free menus. You have to be careful because some of them don't take it seriously. For example, Applebee's has a gluten-free menu but they cook their fries in the same fryer they cook breaded chicken and fish in. That means the fries are cross contaminated and we can't eat them. We can't just take the croutons off a salad either. We have to be strict and vigilant.

But of you live near a PF Changs, you can usually trust them. And Outback is good too. There are some others the folks here say are safe. Read as much as you can. Fire away with your questions. And if you need to rant or cry, feel free to do that too. You won't find a more understanding bunch anywhere.

And remember, it really DOES get easier. I PROMISE.

Obviously, your doctor didn't tell you anything.  A diagnosed Celiac cannot eat any gluten.  You will accidentally get some in your life but you should never try to eat any. 

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/living-with-celiac/guide/treatment

A lifetime commitment

The gluten-free diet is a lifetime requirement. Eating any gluten, no matter how small an amount, can damage your intestine. This is true for anyone with the disease, including people who do not have noticeable symptoms.

Please read the newbie thread for some basic info.

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

thank you..no my doctor pretty much diagnosed and sent me on my way to figure the rest out on my own. thanks for the advice

thank you..no my doctor pretty much diagnosed and sent me on my way to figure the rest out on my own. thanks for the advice

My OB/Gyn insisted I go to my primary care and get a Celiac blood test.  He didn't want to but since she insisted, he did.  They called me and said it was positive and have a nice weekend.

Thanks for everyones help and support. I feel like I am annoying everyone in my life with my constant whining and not feeling well. I guess I am not doing as well as i thought. The more i read today the more i realize that i have other symptoms that i didn't even realize were related to celiac disease. I guess i just thought because i wasn't living with a constant stomach ache and my hair wasn't falling out anymore that i was doing better. To be honest all I ever think about is sleep. I am 27 years old and feel about 80. Not good a feeling when i have 3 young children and a brand new husband at home.

Hi Jen

Welcome in

It seems like yiou found the right place to start your gluten-free journey properly

Hang out and ask lots of questions :)

I've got 2 little ones, and it s awhole lot esier noww I am gluten-free and have more energy. Hope it works like that for you too.

Mw