4 replies to this topic

#1 Analog6

Analog6

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

I have gone totally grain free after a dew recent very nasty episodes of severe gut pain after rice and corn products.  And I found the nicest rice/millet porridge - but no go.  Back to the drawing board.

So can anyone help me with the following:

(1)     What is the best flour for thickening stews, casseroles etc and for making gravies.  In my pantry I have coconut, lupin (no good, it clumps), tapioca, potato and I have an excellent health food store where I can probably get others.

(2)    Pastry.  Is there ANY way to make non grain pastry that will puff up?  I love deep dish pies and the last time I tried it shrank into the middle and came out like sheets of some building material  Even next door's dog wouldn't eat it!

Thanks in advance, Odille from Oz

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BridgetteIMcleod

BridgetteIMcleod

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

For gravy try the potato flour. It works really well, you don't need as much it thickens fast so stir quickly. You can also make a great biscuit from potato flour. As for pies try almond meal and/or walnut meal, butter and sugar. This works really well for fruit pies and pumpkin.

#3 Analog6

Analog6

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

For gravy try the potato flour. It works really well, you don't need as much it thickens fast so stir quickly. You can also make a great biscuit from potato flour. As for pies try almond meal and/or walnut meal, butter and sugar. This works really well for fruit pies and pumpkin.

Thanks, Bridgette.

#4 Marlie

Marlie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

I second potato flour. Used that before I ever heard of celiac/gluten intolerance.

I made pie crust recently which everyone liked. Do not over mix. You want pea sized lumps of butter and it must be very cold. Used cup for cup flour.

#5 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

So....for the family I use many gluten-free flours as they are only gluten-free.

When I cook for me or the hubs is cooking so we can all eat...coconut flour is our only go to...and it works...for thickening and batter endeavors.

for light flaky...well I'm stumped...but I do find a almond flour mixed with coconut flour makes a wonderful apple bread like substance ;)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: