Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Help/advice On Flours

5 posts in this topic

I have gone totally grain free after a dew recent very nasty episodes of severe gut pain after rice and corn products.  And I found the nicest rice/millet porridge - but no go.  Back to the drawing board.

So can anyone help me with the following:

(1)     What is the best flour for thickening stews, casseroles etc and for making gravies.  In my pantry I have coconut, lupin (no good, it clumps), tapioca, potato and I have an excellent health food store where I can probably get others.

(2)    Pastry.  Is there ANY way to make non grain pastry that will puff up?  I love deep dish pies and the last time I tried it shrank into the middle and came out like sheets of some building material  Even next door's dog wouldn't eat it!

Thanks in advance, Odille from Oz

Ads by Google:

For gravy try the potato flour. It works really well, you don't need as much it thickens fast so stir quickly. You can also make a great biscuit from potato flour. As for pies try almond meal and/or walnut meal, butter and sugar. This works really well for fruit pies and pumpkin.

For gravy try the potato flour. It works really well, you don't need as much it thickens fast so stir quickly. You can also make a great biscuit from potato flour. As for pies try almond meal and/or walnut meal, butter and sugar. This works really well for fruit pies and pumpkin.

Thanks, Bridgette.

I second potato flour. Used that before I ever heard of celiac/gluten intolerance.

I made pie crust recently which everyone liked. Do not over mix. You want pea sized lumps of butter and it must be very cold. Used cup for cup flour.

So....for the family I use many gluten-free flours as they are only gluten-free.

When I cook for me or the hubs is cooking so we can all eat...coconut flour is our only go to...and it works...for thickening and batter endeavors.

for light flaky...well I'm stumped...but I do find a almond flour mixed with coconut flour makes a wonderful apple bread like substance ;)