#1 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:47 AM

Hi all

So, I don't live in the US so this probably won't apply to me, but while looking at gluten-free stuff in Chicago I just came across this annoucement:

http://www.bloomberg...food-first.html

from the article:

The coffee and breakfast chain owned by Dunkin’ Brands Group Inc (DNKN). will sell gluten-free cinnamon-sugar doughnuts and blueberry muffins in all its U.S. stores this year, Stan Frankenthaler, the company’s executive chef, said in an e-mail.

“We recognize the importance of providing our guests with many options, including alternative choices for people with food and dietary restrictions,” he said. The pastries are packaged separately to avoid contamination from other foods that contain wheat flour.

So, if your local DD starts selling gluten-free, would you give it a shot? That is, depending on what goes on BEFORE they get wrapped in nice protective plastic. Honestly, I'd be nervous... and god knows what else is in them. But it's a good sign, I suppose. Does this mean the Canadian Holy of Holies, Tim Hortons, might jump on this bandwagon?

Anyway, a bit of interesting news. Maybe it's already been mentioned on the forum (if so, apologies)

Cheers

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

I remember reading about them. What i remember :They aren't made at the donut store and wrapped, they are made in a gluten-free factory, wrapped and shipped to the store.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

If there were a Dunk's here where I live I would happily be a guinea pig for you all. Although I can get their WONDERFUL coffee at the grocery store here, I SO miss their donuts! :(

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

I'm sure they are safe, from a gluten standpoint, and I truly applaud their effort to reach out. It is nice that with families where sometimes only one is required to be gluten free they won't be left out when everyone wants to go out for donuts. That said, I am guessing they are mostly like a cake donut, like all frozen donuts I have ever bought are. They are also so full of so many ingredients that while I may partake a single time the next time I visit back home in PA (we have no Dunkin Donuts here :() I probably won't do so more than that single time.

And omg yes, their coffee is sublime! It came to grocery stores here at the same time I gave up coffee. I died inside a little.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

I'll drink some for you. :D

#6 MissHaberdasher

MissHaberdasher

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

Awww mannn I haven't seen a Dunkin' Donuts around my area in years. Come back!!

#7 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:07 AM

Wow!! I hope alot of restaurants and donut shops jump on the band wagon!!

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#8 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

re: gluten free facility, that's good to hear. I hate it when they have articles like this but don't say the real magic words: made on dedicated lines!

Cakey is better than nothing. If anyone has chance to try one when they show up, do report back.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#9 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

I was REALLY ticked off this morning while listening to The Marketplace Morning Report on NPR News. They mentioned that Dunk's was coming out with a new gluten-free donut. They said that more and more people are now being diagnosed with celiac. Then they mentioned that a lot of non-celiacs have decided to go gluten-free too "because they like pastries that taste terrible"!!!

I'd like to send then a box filled with delicious gluten-free products like Udi's Double Chocolate Muffins, some Canyon Bakehouse Bread, and maybe a doughnut from Dunks (you KNOW a place with such a great reputation wouldn't put out a gluten-free doughnut unless it tasted terrific). Then I'd ask them to retract what they said and apologize. But I wouldn't waste my money sending them all those goodies. :angry:

#10 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

I will try them!  Dedicated lines and that they are "made for those with diet restrictions" means they are taking the time to make Celiac friendly products.

Celiac Specialties of Rochester, MI makes an excellent glazed donut.  They do have on-line sales from their website.(If you really want a great donut and have the $.)  They do contain eggs.

Michigan

#11 djs89

djs89

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

It's nice that some places are starting to offer gluten free foods but I probably would pass. I still don't really want to eat rice flour, sugar, corn syrup, etc. for other health reasons. I can't eat sugar because my teeth have weakened enamel (which I think possibly celiac contributed to)

#12 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

Awww....come on guys!  It's another attempt from an establish company to cater to those of us with dietary issues. I applaud them! 

Nothing is going to be suitable to everyone, but give them kudo's for the try.  And if Karen is correct, they will be pre packaged and individually wrapped. Really....what more could you ask for?

I have never been a fan of donuts, pre diagnosis (I think they smell funny - maybe the yeast :unsure: ), but having a quick option when traveling, would be wonderful.

BRING IT ON DUNCAN!

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#13 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

I would be willing to try one :)

#14 Darissa

Darissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:50 PM

We would love to try one and we were on vacation in Flagstaff, AZ this weekend, and we went to a DD there in town. My kids were excited to try them. We were going to try the muffin and donut. The workers at this DD had never heard of a prepacked gluten free anything!  They weren't sure what I was talking about! So hopefully they will start showing up in the restaurants!

#15 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

Used to have one in walking distance, closet ones now would be a special trip but still as soon as possible I'll give it a try and post my report. :)

Just called they said they will not have them for at least another month.

If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: