This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dunkin Donuts gluten-free?!

Pegleg84

bartfull Rising Star

ACTUAL doughnuts? Cake doughnuts are real doughnuts too. :)  I know you are referring to raised doughnuts, but think about a true French cruller. Those are cake doughnuts and they're delicious with all of those crunchy crusty little nubbins.

Dunk's makes both kinds of doughnuts - cake and raised. I don't know what the new gluten-free one is, but I'd guess that if Udi's doughnuts are raised, Dunk's might be too. Personally, I wish they'd make both, and I WISH (!!!!!) there were a Dunk's near me!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

ACTUAL doughnuts? Cake doughnuts are real doughnuts too. :)

Only when they are A: chocolate or B: covered in chocolate. They can of course be both, such as a Dunford donut. (Of which I believe I ate 3 between diagnosis and going gluten free, which was less than a week. :blink:) I think whether or not cake donuts classify as actual donuts is a matter of opinion. :P

bartfull Rising Star

I like both, but if there could only be one kind of doughnut in the world, I would vote for a plain cake doughnut. NOTHING is better dunked into coffee. (Although I always ask for a second cup just for dunking. That way my other cup of plain black coffee doesn't get contaminated with sweetness.)

When I worked at doughnut shops (I've worked at a couple over the years), I always kept a "glazed", raised doughnut aside and ate it without the glaze while it was still warm. Tastes just like what Easterers call "frydough" and westerners call "frybread". Even at the fair, I would always eat my frydough plain. Don't anyone DARE to put powdered sugar or even worse, maple syrup on my bread!! Except for ice cream, I have never really liked sweet stuff.

But I eat enough ice cream to more than make up for it. :lol:

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

We were in FL and I hoped to find a gluten-free Dunkin'..but no luck. I guess they are still rollin' 'em out. Too bad hubs isn't headed to Boston. Dangit!

jerseyangel Proficient

The new DD gluten free donut is an old fashioned cake donut coated with cinnamon sugar.

Made and packaged in a gluten free facility, per their website.

love2travel Mentor

ACTUAL doughnuts? Cake doughnuts are real doughnuts too. :)  I know you are referring to raised doughnuts, but think about a true French cruller. Those are cake doughnuts and they're delicious with all of those crunchy crusty little nubbins.

Dunk's makes both kinds of doughnuts - cake and raised. I don't know what the new gluten-free one is, but I'd guess that if Udi's doughnuts are raised, Dunk's might be too. Personally, I wish they'd make both, and I WISH (!!!!!) there were a Dunk's near me!!!!

Yes, I used to make crullers when I was a kid.  And yeast (risen) doughnuts which is my personal preference.  Cake doughnuts seem like "cheater" doughnuts to me - sort of like using canned spaghetti sauce.  :lol:    Cake doughnuts are not "real" doughnuts in my neck of the woods for some reason.  Weird, I know...  ^_^

Gemini Experienced

The fight between cake donuts and raised donuts is as heated as that between the Boston Red Sox and the NY Yankees!  :lol:   DD's makes both types.  I think around here in Boston, it's a pretty even split on cake and raised.  I never really liked donuts after the age of 15 because, funny enough, I felt horrible after eating them.  I don't miss donuts at all but I would love it if I could have Grapenut Pudding again!  It's a double bad for me....both gluten and dairy!  :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

come dance with me Enthusiast

What is a cake donut?

1desperateladysaved Proficient

What is a cake donut?

Often They are plainest donut available.  Often they are frosted and pretty sprinkles go on top.  They are also sometimes dipped in powdered sugar, granulated sugar, or left plain.  They are small compared to glazed donuts.  glazed donuts are golden brown, but I would consider cake donuts to be light brown.  I use to work in a bakery long ago.  I wouldn't dare walk into one now.

I've only seen the cinnamon donuts and sometimes they are iced, are the cake donuts made like cakes?  Sorry, trying to picture it, should go and google.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I've only seen the cinnamon donuts and sometimes they are iced, are the cake donuts made like cakes?  Sorry, trying to picture it, should go and google.

They are a couple of inches across with a traditional hole in the middle.  They are sort of like quick bread in that one doesn't have to raise them before cooking.  I believe a cinnamon donut is a cake donut dipped in cinnamon sugar-usually around my bakery, anyway.

bartfull Rising Star

Cake doughnuts are fried, just like raised doughnuts. They just don't have yeast in them so they are denser. Think about those little packages of Hostess mini doughnuts you can get at convenience stores - they are usually powdered sugar-coated. Or the boxes of doughnuts you can buy in the grocery store. Those usually have plain, powdered sugar, and cinnamon covered.

Of course, the one's you buy at Dunk's or other bakeries are MUCH better than the preservative-filled ones from grocery or convenience stores. Although I must admit, NONE of them can come close to being as good as the ones my Mom used to make when I was a kid.

CaliSparrow Collaborator

I ate a frozen gluten-free donut once and it was very good.  I've also eaten some incredible gluten-free chocolate cupcakes.  The next day though, I pay.  I've chalked it up to the sugar content but who knows.

Obviously, donuts aren't healthy, but I think the availability of gluten-free donuts is great for people with families and for kids who could use some normalcy in their lives.  Bravo for DD.  I dream of a world without gluten in it.

Hmm, I think they might be different here?  The ones we buy are vegan and gluten free, made fresh in store at the little shop we go to where they make the gfv sausages and raw vegan, gluten free hazelnut cheesecakes and monkey ball (also raw vegan and gluten free) lunch box treats.

• 3 weeks later...
LadyK Rookie

Oh boy! I'm going to try one as soon as my store gets them.

cyclinglady Grand Master

My daughter requested a donut this morning (she's NOT gluten free).  So, it's almost the end of summer and she hasn't had a real donut for sometime.  Went to Dunkin Donuts, but alas they did not have a gluten-free version yet. 

I can recommend Kinnikinnick's gluten-free frozen donuts.  Just thaw on the counter and microwave for 10 seconds to warm it up.  The cinnamon donuts are especially good! 

I love baking, but I haven't made homemade donuts since going gluten-free. 

Archived