40 replies to this topic

#16 Lizanne

Lizanne

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

Glad Dunkin is trying.  I hardly ever go there anymore for coffee (Starbucks instead.)  I will try it out for sure, more Gluten free options is a great thing.  Especially at a place that is everywhere in my state. :D

Gluten-Free Since July 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

Not really about Donuts! But sure good to know for traveling reasons!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#18 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

Gloria Jeans and Muffin Break local to us sell gluten free goods.  They are made off-site in a gluten free facility so once they sell out, that's it for the day.  We don't eat that type of thing but I like to ask about it so I can post on the local facebook group.

Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#19 FabRik

FabRik

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:46 AM

I will be trying this for sure when it comes to my area. It's been a chore trying to find somewhere I know I can stop and grab something.

#20 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

I was REALLY ticked off this morning while listening to The Marketplace Morning Report on NPR News. They mentioned that Dunk's was coming out with a new gluten-free donut. They said that more and more people are now being diagnosed with celiac. Then they mentioned that a lot of non-celiacs have decided to go gluten-free too "because they like pastries that taste terrible"!!!

I'd like to send then a box filled with delicious gluten-free products like Udi's Double Chocolate Muffins, some Canyon Bakehouse Bread, and maybe a doughnut from Dunks (you KNOW a place with such a great reputation wouldn't put out a gluten-free doughnut unless it tasted terrific). Then I'd ask them to retract what they said and apologize. But I wouldn't waste my money sending them all those goodies. :angry:

Bartie....what do you expect from public radio?  Bunch of sissies.  I can't print here what I think of NPR.  Maybe, just maybe, one of those idiots who thinks our pastries taste terrible will actually have undiagnosed Celiac.  :lol:  

I am not a fan of DD's either.  They are not the same place that they were when I was a kid.  The donuts were never as good and the coffee is even worse.  It's not the same flavor so they obviously changed the type of coffee they use from the days of yore.  I am going back a long time so maybe that's inevitable.  All the good donut shops are gone but as we can't eat them anyway, I can live with that.  ;)

#21 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

Gemini, I respectfully disagree with you on both points. NPR is the ONLY radio station I listen to. In depth news from several sources, including the BBC, great music - my station plays classical in the morning, jazz on weeknights, folk, rock and blues on the weekends. They even have a program devoted to Big Band - there's nothing to lift my mood like a little Ellington. I get Prarie Home Companion and Car Talk on the weekends, game shows like Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, and stories - Selected Shorts, This American Life, and The Moth Radio Hour. I don't nor will I ever own a TV. NPR radio is SO much better, even if I DID like TV, I would never have time to watch it.

And as for Dunk's, their coffee is heavenly IMO. I'm sure their sources have changed over the years like everyone else's, but the way they roast it - to me it tastes the same as it did when I forst started drinking it many many years ago.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#22 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

And as for Dunk's, their coffee is heavenly IMO. I'm sure their sources have changed over the years like everyone else's, but the way they roast it - to me it tastes the same as it did when I forst started drinking it many many years ago.

If I ever fell off the wagon and drank coffee, it would be DD. It is the most sublime heaven in a cup. Just the smell, which is unlike other coffee is pure ecstasy. I found out a couple weeks back that we're getting a DD up in SLC. I squealed like a little girl when I heard the news. I didn't think to myself "oh I don't eat donuts" or "omg I don't drink coffee" I only thought about how I moved here something like 8 years ago and the closest one is in Vegas. Criminal. I can't remember the ingredients, I can either have the muffin or donut and not the other, but I'll probably drive up for one and just stand in there with my eyes closed and the dumbest grin on my face smelling the coffee and donuts.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#23 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

Gemini, I respectfully disagree with you on both points. NPR is the ONLY radio station I listen to. In depth news from several sources, including the BBC, great music - my station plays classical in the morning, jazz on weeknights, folk, rock and blues on the weekends. They even have a program devoted to Big Band - there's nothing to lift my mood like a little Ellington. I get Prarie Home Companion and Car Talk on the weekends, game shows like Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, and stories - Selected Shorts, This American Life, and The Moth Radio Hour. I don't nor will I ever own a TV. NPR radio is SO much better, even if I DID like TV, I would never have time to watch it.

I should have been more specific with regards to NPR.  I like many of the shows that you reference, including Cah Talk, but there are new guys on there and I liked the Magliozzi Brothers the best.  I also like Wait Wait Don't Tell me.  I find their news and editorials extremely biased but I know....you can say that about any news program today.  That's what I get for being a conservative in a liberal state!  :o   It's not biased in my direction..... ;)

#24 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

Are these actual doughnuts or just cake doughnuts? Have never been to a DD in my life!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#25 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

I imagine from the pictures that their gluten free donuts are cake donuts, not awesome donuts. I do not have any confirmation of this though. I can make the fluffy ones at home, so whatever.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#26 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

ACTUAL doughnuts? Cake doughnuts are real doughnuts too. :)  I know you are referring to raised doughnuts, but think about a true French cruller. Those are cake doughnuts and they're delicious with all of those crunchy crusty little nubbins.

Dunk's makes both kinds of doughnuts - cake and raised. I don't know what the new gluten-free one is, but I'd guess that if Udi's doughnuts are raised, Dunk's might be too. Personally, I wish they'd make both, and I WISH (!!!!!) there were a Dunk's near me!!!!

#27 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

ACTUAL doughnuts? Cake doughnuts are real doughnuts too. :)

Only when they are A: chocolate or B: covered in chocolate. They can of course be both, such as a Dunford donut. (Of which I believe I ate 3 between diagnosis and going gluten free, which was less than a week. :blink:) I think whether or not cake donuts classify as actual donuts is a matter of opinion. :P

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#28 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

I like both, but if there could only be one kind of doughnut in the world, I would vote for a plain cake doughnut. NOTHING is better dunked into coffee. (Although I always ask for a second cup just for dunking. That way my other cup of plain black coffee doesn't get contaminated with sweetness.)

When I worked at doughnut shops (I've worked at a couple over the years), I always kept a "glazed", raised doughnut aside and ate it without the glaze while it was still warm. Tastes just like what Easterers call "frydough" and westerners call "frybread". Even at the fair, I would always eat my frydough plain. Don't anyone DARE to put powdered sugar or even worse, maple syrup on my bread!! Except for ice cream, I have never really liked sweet stuff.

But I eat enough ice cream to more than make up for it. :lol:

#29 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

We were in FL and I hoped to find a gluten-free Dunkin'..but no luck. I guess they are still rollin' 'em out. Too bad hubs isn't headed to Boston. Dangit!
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#30 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

The new DD gluten free donut is an old fashioned cake donut coated with cinnamon sugar.

Made and packaged in a gluten free facility, per their website.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: