Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Skin Biopsy!

7 posts in this topic

So despite my pediatric office's referral department completely dropping the ball (twice), we have an appointment with a dermatologist to biopsy what we think is DH.  She broke out with the first few blisters last night, we have an appointment for 10:30 this morning (long story, but a miracle happened there).  Hopefully if this test comes back positive we can cancel the EGD!!!!!!  

Ads by Google:

good luck this morning!!  hopefully you get this before you go if you aren't aware already, "Dermatitis herpetiformis is only 

diagnosed and confirmed by a dermatologist obtaining a slight skin biopsy from uninvolved skin adjacent to blisters or erosions."

the above is copied from the diagnosis category on this link: http://calgaryceliac.com/CCA/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/dematitis-herpetiformis.pdf  

if anyone can put up a more recent link, please do!

So despite my pediatric office's referral department completely dropping the ball (twice), we have an appointment with a dermatologist to biopsy what we think is DH.  She broke out with the first few blisters last night, we have an appointment for 10:30 this morning (long story, but a miracle happened there).  Hopefully if this test comes back positive we can cancel the EGD!!!!!!  

good luck this morning!!  hopefully you get this before you go if you aren't aware already, "Dermatitis herpetiformis is only 

diagnosed and confirmed by a dermatologist obtaining a slight skin biopsy from uninvolved skin adjacent to blisters or erosions."

the above is copied from the diagnosis category on this link: http://calgaryceliac.com/CCA/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/dematitis-herpetiformis.pdf

if anyone can put up a more recent link, please do!

I did know that!  And I'm going to be positive they do it right!  I don't want anyone else dropping the ball....

great  :)  I don't have DH, but I've read so many times about how the doc biopsied the actual blister, so it was essentially a wasted appointment  :angry:

good luck!!

I did know that!  And I'm going to be positive they do it right!  I don't want anyone else dropping the ball....

Let us know how it goes!

Well it is a darn good thing I knew where to biopsy!  The NP we saw was adamant on biopsying the actual blister.  I told her 3 different doctors and all I'd researched said it had to be beside it with uninvolved skin.  They called the pathologists and ended up taking 2 biopsies.  They are going to do a full pathological workup on the biopsy of the blister, and then the DH of the "uninvolved" skin.  I am just hoping the test results come back before the scope, so that if they are positive, we can cancel the scope!    Her bottom this morning was terrible.  Her 3 blisters turned into a break out on her entire bottom.

glad you got it done and were persistent :)   I hope she feels better!!

Well it is a darn good thing I knew where to biopsy!  The NP we saw was adamant on biopsying the actual blister.  I told her 3 different doctors and all I'd researched said it had to be beside it with uninvolved skin.  They called the pathologists and ended up taking 2 biopsies.  They are going to do a full pathological workup on the biopsy of the blister, and then the DH of the "uninvolved" skin.  I am just hoping the test results come back before the scope, so that if they are positive, we can cancel the scope!    Her bottom this morning was terrible.  Her 3 blisters turned into a break out on her entire bottom.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• This subject is often raised on this site, especially by women.  I am prompted to raise it again today, having spoken to my doctor who has said that she has noticed that celiacs often have thin hair, especially in later years.   Rather than just accept what she thinks is just the inevitable I would really like to hear from anyone who really has seen great improvement in their own hair and what they did. There are lots of tips on line but I am particularly interested in hearing from someone who has actually been there, done that, and now has better hair!  
    • This subject is often raised on this site, especially by women.  I am prompted to raise it again today, having spoken to my doctor who has said that she has noticed that celiacs often have thin hair, especially in later years.   Rather than just accept what she thinks is just the inevitable I would really like to hear from anyone who really has seen great improvement in their own hair and what they did. There are lots of tips on line but I am particularly interested in hearing from someone who has actually been there, done that, and now has better hair!  
    • Oh i hope so!! I'm really anxious about the procedure as I've never done it before. I've been through operations but never an endoscopy and the thought of it is really scaring me! Thank you for giving me some courage! 
    • You are right, the tests could be invalid.   All the celiac tests require you to be on a gluten-containing diet.  It is up to you to decide if you want to go gluten free.  You can do it.  Believe me, I know.  Hubby is not officially diagnosed.  He went gluten-free 15 years ago, based on the rather poor advice from my allergist and his GP.  It worked though.  But he would be the first to tell you that I have had way more support in terms of family and medical.    We think he has it.  Both of our families are riddled with autoimmine disorders.  I am the first to be diagnosed.   My Aunt went gluten free per the advice of her Chiropractor.  Her other doctors never suspected celiac disease.  The diet obviously worked for her.  Her daughter (my cousin) is a nurse.  She had an endoscopy but they did not check for celiac disease.  She chose to go gluten-free too since it worked for her mom.  Both will not do a gluten challenge.  However, my diagnosis has helped them get proper medical treatment.  My Aunt is very active in a celiac support group.    Now everyone in my family knows about celiac disease.  My own niece was just diagnosed with Crohn's, but her GI did test and will continue to test her for celiac disease.  You can develop additional autoimmune disorders at any time.   So far, a few other members have been tested.  No one else had had a celiac disease diagnosis yet.  Time will tell.  If I can save someone from the misery of struggling to get a diagnosis, then I can feel good.   Now, an official diagnosis will help you adhere to the diet .  You can get follow-up care.  Get checked for other things like SIBO, H. Pylori and cancer.  But ultimately, it is up to you.   Whatever you decided to do, please consider a family health history chart.  You might someday help a grandchild.   The stool tests?  In all my research, leading celiac experts do not recommend them.  http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/why-dont-you-recognize-tests-stool-tests-or-otherwise-for-gluten-sensitivity-that-are-currently-available-through-companies-like-enterolab-or-cyrex/ gene testing?  Some 30% of the poulation carries the celiac genes.  It just tells you that you have the chance to develop celiac disease.  It can not diagnose you.    
    • The procedure is a breeze. You will go in, be sedated and go to sleep for a short nap and then it's over. Some people will have a bit of a sore throat but not everyone does. For me the hardest part of the endo was not being able to drink coffee when I got up. You seem to have been back on gluten for long enough to have the test but as CLady said there is a good chance your blood work may be negative. In your case you may want to continue eating gluten after the biopsy at least until you get your blood results. If they are negative consider going a bit longer and getting them redone.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    KerryO