6 replies to this topic

#1 wmramsel

wmramsel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:35 AM

So despite my pediatric office's referral department completely dropping the ball (twice), we have an appointment with a dermatologist to biopsy what we think is DH.  She broke out with the first few blisters last night, we have an appointment for 10:30 this morning (long story, but a miracle happened there).  Hopefully if this test comes back positive we can cancel the EGD!!!!!!  

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:41 AM

good luck this morning!!  hopefully you get this before you go if you aren't aware already, "Dermatitis herpetiformis is only 

diagnosed and confirmed by a dermatologist obtaining a slight skin biopsy from uninvolved skin adjacent to blisters or erosions."

the above is copied from the diagnosis category on this link: http://calgaryceliac...rpetiformis.pdf  

if anyone can put up a more recent link, please do!

So despite my pediatric office's referral department completely dropping the ball (twice), we have an appointment with a dermatologist to biopsy what we think is DH.  She broke out with the first few blisters last night, we have an appointment for 10:30 this morning (long story, but a miracle happened there).  Hopefully if this test comes back positive we can cancel the EGD!!!!!!  

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

#3 wmramsel

wmramsel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:43 AM

good luck this morning!!  hopefully you get this before you go if you aren't aware already, "Dermatitis herpetiformis is only 

diagnosed and confirmed by a dermatologist obtaining a slight skin biopsy from uninvolved skin adjacent to blisters or erosions."

the above is copied from the diagnosis category on this link: http://calgaryceliac...rpetiformis.pdf

if anyone can put up a more recent link, please do!

I did know that!  And I'm going to be positive they do it right!  I don't want anyone else dropping the ball....

#4 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:46 AM

great  :)  I don't have DH, but I've read so many times about how the doc biopsied the actual blister, so it was essentially a wasted appointment  :angry:

good luck!!

I did know that!  And I'm going to be positive they do it right!  I don't want anyone else dropping the ball....

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

#5 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

Let us know how it goes!

#6 wmramsel

wmramsel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

Well it is a darn good thing I knew where to biopsy!  The NP we saw was adamant on biopsying the actual blister.  I told her 3 different doctors and all I'd researched said it had to be beside it with uninvolved skin.  They called the pathologists and ended up taking 2 biopsies.  They are going to do a full pathological workup on the biopsy of the blister, and then the DH of the "uninvolved" skin.  I am just hoping the test results come back before the scope, so that if they are positive, we can cancel the scope!    Her bottom this morning was terrible.  Her 3 blisters turned into a break out on her entire bottom.

#7 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

glad you got it done and were persistent :)   I hope she feels better!!

Well it is a darn good thing I knew where to biopsy!  The NP we saw was adamant on biopsying the actual blister.  I told her 3 different doctors and all I'd researched said it had to be beside it with uninvolved skin.  They called the pathologists and ended up taking 2 biopsies.  They are going to do a full pathological workup on the biopsy of the blister, and then the DH of the "uninvolved" skin.  I am just hoping the test results come back before the scope, so that if they are positive, we can cancel the scope!    Her bottom this morning was terrible.  Her 3 blisters turned into a break out on her entire bottom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: