This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Frustrated, Just Need To Vent.

dark-angel-warriore

dark-angel-warriore Newbie

So I posted about a month ago regarding positive blood work, various symptons, and my fear of going through the endoscopy.

SOOO, I got it done last monday (a week and a half ago).

Everything went well, I thought I was asleep, but apparently I just don't remember being awake.

Anyways, I had a pleasant experience at the hospital, no complications. Though they sent me home about 10min after I regained concsiouness, without explaining anything to me.

I did not think to ask about how it went.

4 days after the Endoscopy, I get a call from the surgeon's office saying that the surgon would like to see me to discuss the procedure that was done, and that they would give me the soonest appointment (today, so less than a week after the phone call).

Because I am confused about what the surgeon would want to talk to me about, I called my family doctor (who ordered the endoscopy), to see if she had received the results.

Apparently she received the results last week, just put it in my file without contacting me, and closed it.

So the "nice" secretary told me " it is your reponsability to book an appointment to discuss test results".

It would be nice if I even knew the results were in!!!!!!!!

She said that my doctor "PROBABLY" put the results in the file without saying anything because it did not show anything important.

We wern't looking for anything "important" we were looking to confirm if it is Celiac.

So now they are giving me an appointment in a month, because they need to leave room for emergency appointments.

How is anyone supposed to appreciate doctors if they do things like that ?

Now I am confused as to why I am even taking time off of work and losing pay to go see the surgeon, and then losing pay AGAIN to go see my general doctor who does not seem that concerned.

I have been "gluten free" (My boyfriend forgets and always cooks gluten products along with my gluten free products (on the BBQ, on serving plates, etc...) and I have been feeling worse than I did 2 weeks ago.

I know I should just wait until the appointment with the surgeon tonight, since he probably also has the biopsy results himself

but I just wanted to say "grrrr"

*end rant*

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

This makes some sense to me.  The Family doc would have received the results but not necessarily do anything with them.  He would think that the surgeon/GI doc would explain them to you.  And it sounds like the surgeon has set you up an appointment to discuss this.  After that visit is over, you may just want to cancel the Family doc appt.

Even if they told you something right after the procedure, you wouldn't remember it.  Anesthesia does that to you.  He would want to get the pathology results back first before telling you if you have Celiac.  I suppose, if he had seen a tumor or something obvious and dangerous, he would have told the person accompanying you to the procedure.

Get copies of the procedure report and the pathology report and blood tests while you are there.

dark-angel-warriore Newbie

This makes some sense to me.  The Family doc would have received the results but not necessarily do anything with them.  He would think that the surgeon/GI doc would explain them to you.  And it sounds like the surgeon has set you up an appointment to discuss this.  After that visit is over, you may just want to cancel the Family doc appt.

Even if they told you something right after the procedure, you wouldn't remember it.  Anesthesia does that to you.  He would want to get the pathology results back first before telling you if you have Celiac.  I suppose, if he had seen a tumor or something obvious and dangerous, he would have told the person accompanying you to the procedure.

Get copies of the procedure report and the pathology report and blood tests while you are there.

I had written a long text but I will keep it to : I disgaree.

The surgeon is NOT a G/I, I have no idea if he will have the results since the test was ordered by my family doctor and not the surgeon itself.

Waiting a month and a half to get confirmation of tests results does not seem right to me. If it was a diagnostic test perhaps, but we were doing nothing but confirm, I am not sure what I need to "discuss" with her, if it is not important.

kareng Grand Master

I had written a long text but I will keep it to : I disgaree.

The surgeon is NOT a G/I, I have no idea if he will have the results since the test was ordered by my family doctor and not the surgeon itself.

Waiting a month and a half to get confirmation of tests results does not seem right to me. If it was a diagnostic test perhaps, but we were doing nothing but confirm, I am not sure what I need to "discuss" with her, if it is not important.

I'm sorry. I missed something.  The "surgeon" wants to discuss your results 11 days after the procedure? It can take 3-10 days to get the pathology report back.  Not sure why a "surgeon" did an endo but maybe you are in a different country and that is how it works?  Usually, an endo is a diagnostic test used to "officially" diagnose Celiac Disease.

Was just trying to help you understand the process because medical procedures can seem silly sometimes.  But I don't feel like fighting with you, so good luck.  I hope eating gluten-free makes you feel better.

notme Experienced

my g.i. did my endoscopy - so i guess she is a g.i. surgeon?  i see you are in canada, so i don't know how that all works with the different doctors.  i got my results pretty quick, (she told me AND made sure she told my husband in case i didn't remember lolz)  and the office called with the pathology results so i requested copies of everything at that time.  

Archived