#1 eblue

eblue

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:03 AM

Hey everyone,

Newbie here. I am having a hard time figuring out some gluten free foods to take with me when I know I am going to be gone all day. I am on the go a lot, and I need your help brainstorming some food ideas

that I can throw in my purse or backpack for those days where I will be gone for several hours. Obviously it can't be perishable. The only thing I have come up with is nuts, gluten free crackers, and potato

chips...but I would really like to think of some other options. I plan on buying a small backpack that I can take with me when hubs and I go out for the day, that way I am not tempted to try eating out ( I dont trust

eating at restraunts anymore)...Any ideas? I really need your help! Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:53 AM

All sorts of fruit is good, bananas were practically made for day trips. I like to take Stretch Island fruit leather, frozen grapes in the summer (in a pack that will keep them cold!), dried coconut, veggies like carrots or celery. The sorts of things I would snack on at home. If I'm going to be gone for an entire day I always plan on bringing a pack to keep some things cold and usually have a salad and some yogurt with me.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

You can have a small insulated cooler with an ice pack and pack almost anything. (This is what I do when my toddler and I are out for very long.) Things we bring include:

Cheese
Hard boiled egg
Rice cakes w/ peanut butter (wrap in Saran Wrap)
Crackers
Dried fruits
Fresh fruit
Muffins (make ahead in large batches and store for long periods in the freezer)
Nuts
Cut veggies (especially carrots)
Beans/lentils
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,316 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

This thread has some good ideas

http://www.celiac.co...e-1#entry868619

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 Guest_myjade_84_*

Guest_myjade_84_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:15 PM

I love this fresh asparagus salad. here's how to make it, http://www.food.com/...gus-salad-36428

#6 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

If I'm uncertain I will find acceptable food, I try to bring a bag of gluten-free pretzels with me and maybe one of those non-perishable hummus squeeze things.  Or a Go Picnic, some mixed (gluten-free) nuts, and a banana.  Bananas can be very filling and hold you over until you can get to something.

#7 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:15 AM

Items for when you don't have a refrigerator or microwave: Jif to Go peanut butter cups or chocolate-peanut butter cups with some Nut Thins or gluten-free pretzels or apple slices.  Smartfood and Pirate Booty are gluten-free.  Be careful of potato chips - I always feel glutened with Lays, probably cc from shared lines.  Lara bars or Nature Valley Protein Chewy Bars.  Always keep a couple of those in your purse.  Roll up some ham and cheese in a plastic bag - it will keep just fine for a few hours until lunch.  Make some Chex mix and take a bag of that.  Homemade trail mix of Chex, nuts, raisins, chocolate chips.   Single-serve hummus tubs with baby carrots or lentil chips.  There are premixed tuna salad cups (just discard the crackers) or just plain tuna in single-serve cups.

Stash a few plastic forks and spoons and napkins in your bag so you'll be ready for whatever you find.  Lately I have found more and more gluten-free food available in convenience stores - yogurt, cheese sticks, some brands of jerky or pepperoni, fruit, salads, hard-boiled eggs.

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: