26 replies to this topic

#1 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:06 PM

Mid-way through Celiac Awareness month and I haven't heard a peep about Celiac either in the paper or on tv/radio. CBS has all the Breast Cancer awareness month stuff happening from time to time, little 15 second psa's, but I guess it's a "sexier" disease.

I pitched an awareness story to the medical reporter (and all the assignment editors) in the newsroom where I work, and even THEY haven't done a story. I work evenings though, and the story meetings are during the day, so I guess I need to be a bit more "in their faces" about it.

I was sort of hoping there would be a mass letter-writing campaign or something to try to get Kellogg's on board with gluten-free, but I guess not. All my local Celiac association is doing is having a gluten-free pizza and ice cream day.

I guess I'll bug the medical reporter when I go to work tomorrow afternoon.
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:37 PM

i was thinking of the breast cancer campaign recently. it is everywhere! if we could get a similar campaign going.... :) you can buy designer jeans, post-its, jewelery, cds, food--all that is pink and splits proceeds with bc research.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:47 PM

That would be great if we could get a campign going to bring attention to celiac disease. Ideas anyone?
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 redheadheather

redheadheather

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:48 PM

I recently emailed all our local TV stations and radio stations. So far... nothing. Most of the coverage is BCA. I'm hoping at least one of them will do a little something next week or so.

[crosses fingers]

#5 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 02:33 PM

It seems like every month is celiac awareness month--first I hear June, then it's September, now it's October--I can't keep it straight anymore :lol: :P

#6 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:50 PM

Global TV in Vancouver Canada has had a couple of very good TV ads for Celiac awareness month. But we are on satillite TV and that's the only one that I've heard.

#7 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:11 PM

Viola, I think in Winlaw you can get CTV Calgary, that's where I work. (Look for my name on the credits Friday!) I didn't see the medical reporter today, but will definitely ask if there's anything in the works for the next couple of weeks.

#8 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 06:15 AM

I sell promotional products and have many times sold custom lapel pins for clients. Maybe we need a pin for celiac disease. Could be a gluten-free or NG (no gluten) in a neat design - I think celiac disease would make people think of regular celiac disease's plus many people who are gluten free don't have celiac disease dx. For NG we could have the no symbol (like smoking symbol) and a big G inside. Other ideas? It needs to be something that will prompt people to ask us what the pin means.

Tiffamy M.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#9 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:10 AM

There already is a lapel pin for Celiac. I have had one for years, got it through the Canadian Celiac Association. It's very attractive.

#10 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:13 AM

Linda, I do get CTV Calgary and watch it quite frequently, including the news as we have a daughter that lives there. Which program will you be on?

#11 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:18 AM

There already is a lapel pin for Celiac. I have had one for years, got it through the Canadian Celiac Association. It's very attractive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Shirley! Do you mind posting their website? I'm not familair with it.

Tiffany M.

p.s. never mind. I found the site and they don't have the pin listed in the products for sale. It must not have sold well.

#12 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:57 AM

Hmmm ... I bought mine about 15 years ago. It seems to me that several years later there was a problem with the logo they used. It's a gold wheat shaft in a circle with a line through it. There might have been a copy rite problem on it.

Which means ... someone should design and produce a new one :D

#13 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:01 AM

Linda, I do get CTV Calgary and watch it quite frequently, including the news as we have a daughter that lives there. Which program will you be on?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OH NO, Viola!! :lol: I am not ON tv, I am strictly behind the scenes getting everyone else on. I direct the late news 4 nights a week (Th-Sun). I am bossy by nature,so the job suits me just fine, I tell someone to do something, and he has to do it, because that's his job...to listen to me! For the six o'clock news, I am a production assistant, counting out of stories, calling supers in, etc.

If I do my job properly tonight, the credits will hit about 6:56 or thereabouts. (Of course, the anchors have to co-operate, too much chatter and we might have to drop credits.)

"See you" at 6.

#14 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:07 AM

Okay, will look for you .. that's five my time :D Look for your name that is ... Hmm, does it come under bossy ? :lol: Just kidding.

#15 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:08 AM

Hmmm ... I bought mine about 15 years ago. It seems to me that several years later there was a problem with the logo they used. It's a gold wheat shaft in a circle with a line through it. There might have been a copy rite problem on it.

Which means ... someone should design and produce a new one  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree! I could see there being a problem with the wheat symbol - has law suit written all over it. I'll have to think about the design. At first I thought the no symbol over a G was great but I don't want people to think I'm an athiest.

Tiffany M.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: