- - - - -

Awareness Month

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:48 AM

Yes, and we can have rice, corn, millet etc. and that really is included under the Grain label.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 11:03 AM

Okay, will look for you .. that's five my time  :D Look for your name that is ... Hmm, does it come under bossy ?  :lol:  Just kidding.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, it comes under dictator....I mean director. :lol: Linda. I'm the last one (and the only female), you can't miss me.
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#18 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2005 - 07:45 AM

Hi Linda .. I watched the credits roll yesterday, and there you were, big as life :D Good for you ... How is it you are the only female? :rolleyes: Do you get to boss all the males around? :lol:

#19 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 06:30 AM

I really like this idea! I like the emphasis on Gluten-Free awareness -- I am VERY sympathetic to celiacs, but I am only gluten intolerant -- I have gluten ataxia. (Did I just say ONLY gluten intolerant?????) At any rate, I think that it's important to have Celiac awareness month, because it is a much larger problem than most people think (or don't think is the actual problem). We need to get the word out. Can you guys direct me to a website where I can get some statistical information? My next door neighbor and friend is a reporter for the local news here -- now that Breast Cancer has had its race for the cure walk/run, they're dry for health news right now. If I can present statistics (fairly soon), there's a good chance they'll run it.

I can't get back to the former messages without losing what I've written so far (I'm hating my computer right now), but whoever does the promotional items, you're bound to be creative! I think you should take the ball & run with it. Depending upon cost (& our resources -- sick people are poor!) I'll buy as many as I can and pass them on to local health food stores, etc. In fact, I'm wondering if chains, such as Whole Foods Market and Wild Oats would start carrying them -- it certainly would help to promote the fact that they have gluten-free products if they were at the cash registers. Non-celiacs would pass the info onto their celiac friends -- and maybe even start to become a little more informed. AAAAAAHHHHHHH! (that's the chorus singing the angelic sound) :P For that matter, even Kroger co. Our Kroger has a LOT of gluten-free products in their health foods section. I think this is a really good idea.

Talk to you guys soon . . . . Lynne
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#20 CeliacMe

CeliacMe

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 08:13 PM

I heard that Victoria Beckaham ("Posh Speice") has celiac disease, is that true? Also Emmy Rossum (from "the day after tomorrow" and "the phantom of the opera"). Maybe we could write fan mail begging them to do something to raise Celiac Awareness? I will write them if you guys do too!
Pamela
Florida

Gluten Free since 7/05

#21 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:05 PM

When you find out for sure, I'll write, too . . . Lynne
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#22 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 05:45 AM

Lynne-
for stats and great info, go here to the Univ of Chicago Celiac program. Look at these fact sheets...one of them has a ton of stats on it.
http://www.uchospita...eets/index.html
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#23 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 06:04 AM

jenvan, Thank you for that link--it was great! Also, just last night, the CBS station from Philadelphia had a piece on Celiac on the local 11:00 news!! I could hardly believe my eyes. It featured a local woman with celiac disease, a Dr. from Bryn Mawr Hospital in Phila. and shots from Whole Foods.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#24 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:44 AM

jerseyangel-
that's great! those surprises are always nice!
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#25 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:04 AM

Today I sent a letter to Kellogg's explaining that gluten free was not a small, niche market as they may think and that when one person has celiac disease, that means a whole family can no longer buy their product.
I ended it by saying that I and tens or maybe hundreds of thousands of other people were looking forward to buying a gluten-free, reasonably priced package of Kellogg's Rice Krispies and Corn Flakes soon.

Like next week, so get cracking! ...but I left that part out of the letter.
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#26 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:21 AM

That's a great idea Linda! We should all do that with different companies. Maybe we can even ecourage dedicated lines that way!
Good for you!!! :D

#27 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:42 PM

Jen -- thanks for the link -- I'm sending it to my friend, hopefully getting some airtime (other than the bird flu -- hot topic here)! Talk to you soon . . . Lynne
Lynne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: